Ivanov and Bulgaria

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by wattsmj79, Sep 11, 2003.

1. wattsmj79

wattsmj79 New Member

Jun 21, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    Is he even being considered for any of the Euro 2004 qualifiers? He has caps already, but I'm not sure how many. . . How badly did he hurt his national team chances by moving to MLS from Sofia?

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I thought he was out the Bulgarian picture long before he came to DC.

Sachin

3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They haven't used him at all in Qualifying so far, and they are kicking butt. I doubt they would be looking for him now.

4. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I asked this question over at bulgarain-football.com and this is the answer I got...

"I don't think that Galin has any chances of becoming again a national team player. The fact that he is playing in the MLS is enough to ensure him that the national coach won't have chances to see him live in action. What is more the local media have announced a list of the possible players for EURO 2004 and he is not in the extended squad list so i can bet that he won't be among Bulgaria's 23 players in Portugal."

5. wattsmj79

wattsmj79 New Member

Jun 21, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    That seems to be a common reason for a player's exclusion from their national team when they go abroad especially to a lower league. I have often wondered: why doesn't a player like ivanov send his national team coach tapes? maybe the answer is obvious. . .

6. Nogra Rover

Nogra Rover New Member

Mar 30, 2000
    Bethesda, MD
    Unlike more than a few posters here, I think Ivanov has done reasonably well for DC, and will continue to improve. He has had a good few games of late. I can see why Stoitchkov recommended him and why DCU took him.

However, I in no way believe that he would be in a team that just won a qualifying group for Euro 2004. There are few players in MLS that are that good.

I do wonder what made him move to MLS. Was he a starter for CSKA Sofia? Did he want to live in the west with his family? I really don't know.

7. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I asked that question too and no one really knew except to say that his salary is probably higher in MLS and competition for spots was tough and he might not have been playing regularly for much longer at CSKA.

I would guess your speculation about his family is probably a part of it too. He may hope to stay here and get a green card and raise his family here. I don't know either.

8. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    1. How many national team callups did Johnny Walker get when he was in Chile? It's not enough to just send in tapes. If the National team coach can watch you in games, see you in practice--that stuff matters.

2. I don't know the situation at CSKA. But prior to coming to MLS, Ivanov was playing regularly (including in Euro competitions for them). As for the National team, my sense he was on the "domestic" side (ie: the guys you call up when foreign players will get stick from their clubs for missing matches).

3. Why would he come here? I can think of more than a few reasons just off the top of my head. Stoichkov is a national hero--to be on the same squad as Hristo is a once in a life-time deal. America--coming to live here. It's an easier (overall) experience b/c it's warm weather, shorter season, fewer games. I assume he got to keep a percentage of his transfer fee.

9. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude, MLS is NOT a "lower" league than the Bulgarian league.

10. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Yeah, really. What are some people thinking??

11. slacker

slacker Member

Nov 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lower league?

Check some threads on MLS N&A forum for a rampaging debate on how MLS stacks up against other countries' leagues.

It really depends on what criteria you apply to measure league quality - compare the top two teams of the league - look at top to bottom strength - compare weakest links?

But it seems highly likely that CSKA Sofia, which has I believe at least won a few games here and there in UEFA Cup and possibly Champions League competitions is a stronger side that the top MLS teams. So for Ivanov to leave that team for an MLS team may be a step down, even if overall the Bulgarian league may not have as many decent players as MLS.