IU vs. Butler [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by cpt85, Apr 27, 2006.

1. cpt85

cpt85 New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Bloomington, IN
    The Indiana Hoosiers Men's Soccer team completed out its spring season on Tuesday by defeating Butler by a score of 3-0. The game was marred by numerous yellow cards and even a red card or two. The game was very physical and several pushing matches brewed throughout the game.

IU played in the 4-5-1 for the second time this spring and they looked solid. A lot of the younger guys got to play late in the game, so mostly everyone who were available had a chance to play a little bit.

Now, IU will set it's sights on the fall season, to get back on track to go after their 8th national championship.

2. kickeru

kickeru Member

Feb 23, 2006
    IU did seem a bit slow in the first half, and Butler did battle. A very physical game, as the ref issued a number of cards to try to maintain civility. Didn't look like a Spring exhibition.

Several good scoring opportunities, but a lot of the shots seemed to lack any pace. Fairly easy saves by Butler keeper. Robson had his best game yet, really working hard. Ring had another terrific effort, despite getting banged up a bit.

This IU team has real depth. Team play seemed to be at a high level even when subs were played for much of the second half. Looking forward to the Fall season! This team could be a good one.

3. cpt85

cpt85 New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Bloomington, IN
    I disagree. I don't think we have ideal depth. In the back, I believe we do, but RIGHT now, we are pretty slim in the middle. However, with Alexander and Kelly coming in, that will give us more depth (and they will be able to play right away).

4. kickeru

kickeru Member

Feb 23, 2006
    I agree with depth in back.

At midfield, it seems strong and deep with Ring, Tudela, Hayden, Robson, Mellencamp as the core with Ackley, Alston (probably more effective at mid than back), Yeagle (maybe a better wing than forward), Hagedorn and a few other multi-position back-ups. The new guys have good reps and may, indeed, help right away.

They could still use a consistent up-front finishing threat (but couldn't every team?).

The new formation looks good.

5. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Butler involved in a friendly exhibition game that turned very physical with several pushing matches throughout the game?? GET OUT OF HERE!! Stop it! I mean I'm positively stunned! Butler?? Involved in very physical play?? Are you sure?? Who have thunk it??

6. bigwalley

bigwalley New Member

Dec 30, 2002
    ST.Louis
    I.U. likes to keep there teeth sharp by playing teams like butttleerrrr!!!!!

7. cpt85

cpt85 New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Bloomington, IN
    Yes, we have those guys in the mid. But, that's it. I don't see too many other guys sitting on the bench ready to come in. We were definitely deeper last year (as many have argued that team was the deepest and most talented in IU history). But with that said, I think we are definitely SOLID in the mid and I think we will win a lot of battles in there.

We are definitely weak up front, and I think that is why we are playing the 4-5-1. I love Robson and what he can bring. I enjoyed him coming off the bench, but he had an excellent spring, and I fully expect him to have a breakout season in the fall. After the Mexico game (granted, they were weak), I really started to fall in love wit this team. They're young, maybe inexperenced, but they have a lot of fight in them. They won't back down to anyone. I expect us to have a very, very good season.