IU Hoosiers 2022

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by stphnsn, Jan 12, 2022.

1. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Our disdain for playing defense bit us in the butt again. Newly fortified with 7 starting internationals, OSU could have scored 4 or more goals. Two were saved off the line. This is unsustainable.

We are also struggling to score goals. The coaches are still trying to find an optimal set of strikers and yesterday did work out very well.

stphnsn and fknbuflobo repped this.
  2. Newports

Newports Member

Jan 19, 2012
    "We are also struggling to score goals."
    ----------------------------------
    Lot of draws this weekend. Only one team in BE has a W/3pts after week 1.

3. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Another disappointing result...

BigRedFootie repped this.
  4. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Yep - very disappointing. We were doing fine, controlling play, being dangerous. Then we scored a goal. We then proceeded to play without much urgency. As a result, MSU gained control of the midfield in the second half and eventually scored on a cross to one of their many tall players. That woke us up and caused us to play with more urgency, but it was too late.

We have to start playing a full 90 - in both directions.

5. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Great first half, and we were unlucky not to score. Then a boner to start the second. Followed that by 7 minutes of heaven. I went to bed with a half hour left and figured we could only go down hill from there.

6. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Well, we have the "away game blues." Our midfielders couldn't pass to their own teammates to save their lives. Still, I think we could have won the game had Harms not had a howler leading to MSU's first goal. We've seen these behaviors w/ young teams before. They do well at home and struggle mightily on the road.

On a good note, Munie played yesterday. Either that or we were desperate enough to play him before he was fully healed.

7. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Beautiful night for a game. We continue to shuffle the lineup. After the UM game it is no surprise that Pratt was in goal against ND. Munie was back and appeared to give us a big lift. Our midfield appeared to have more energy and Endeley was giving ND fits. One of those times he was tripped in the box and Whitt buried the PK.

ND is a pretty good squad and had a little bad luck with one shot hitting the woodwork. However, they only had one SOG whereas we had five and our possession was much better. Of course, this was a home game...

Let's see how our youngsters fare on the road this weekend.

BRF

stphnsn repped this.
  8. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Aye, yay, yay. Another strange result. It was our D's turn to start off w/ a howler, a blind pass by Sessock to a Rutgers forward. We scored a couple of good goals, but our poor passing in the midfield again kept giving them chances - and they took advantage of one of those. 2-2.

I fear we will be putting up numbers similar (or worse) in our remaining away games.

9. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Important win against Penn State last night. We're lucky no other B1G team has run away with the league this season. Everyone's dropping points, and somehow we're up to 2nd.

10. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Yeah, there are a lot of ties out there. We played w/ good intensity for about 85 minutes, but darn! That first goal by PSU never should have happened. PSU's second goal on a PK was just an unlucky slip for Bebej. Anyway, the offense looked good (or is PSU's D that bad?).

Whittenbrink is definitely the man right now, although almost every IU player brought their A game. I'm pretty sure that Whittenbrink had an Olympico over Shakes (a good keeper), but Joey Maher claimed the goal. The second goal was off a Sessock throw (IU throw-ins will heretofore be called Sessocks) and fell to an unmarked Bebej for an easy goal. Sarver, who is by far the Hoosier w/ the highest work rate, earned a penalty just after half (I would hate to have to mark Sarver). Finally, Whittenbrink served a beautiful ball to Endeley who bravely nodded the ball into the net.

We had some more chances that probably should have been finished, but who doesn't?

Anyway, a beautiful night for soccer and IU's 800th win.

BRF

Fitballer and fknbuflobo repped this.
  11. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Got our butts kicked big time! Boy, was our D exposed. UK relies mostly on counters and they're good at it. I'm sure they could also dominate on set pieces because of their size, but they didn't need to. They had 3 shots on goal and all went in. This is the second game this season where we had no saves at all (or were there more?).

It has been our experience that the boys don't play all that well on Parents' weekend. Yesterday was no exception. We just didn't show up (again).

Fitballer, stphnsn and fknbuflobo repped this.
  12. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    It always sucks to lose to Kentucky regardless of the sport.

13. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    I was excited the game was available on espn+. I was not excited by how we played or the result. Jeez.

14. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Does IU typically play in-state teams of less stature? I caught a little of the Evansville game and noticed IU will now play Trine (is that a DII? DIII?).

Full credit to them if they do. I think it's good for the sport but a lot of big dogs in any college sport avoid the smaller schools/lower-level teams around them (for reasons I understand, but I'd still like to see more of these matchups in college sports in general).

15. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    I'll say. I was there. UE wanted it more than we did, that's for sure. Once again, we couldn't pass the ball to players w/ the same color jersey. Those errant passes turned into chances for UE to counter - and they did.

Despite our uninspired play, we still had the lead at the half because of a nice play 3 minutes in. We did have a number of chances offensively, but our midfield passing eroded quickly. We gave the ball up in the 54th minute, our defense couldn't completely clear a through ball, and a good pass put the UE striker behind Sessock. I got worse - Harms came out a good 30 yards from his line, got beat, and we earned our tie... :(

A lot of things are going to have to change if we are to have ANY success in the post-season.

16. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    UE is a regular on the schedule. Trine is new in the last couple of years. They're D3. I wondered if Trine's coach works IU's camp in the summer so it's a bit of a quid pro quo? Trine gets to say they play IU. IU gets a game for the players who aren't getting much time. You'll notice this is IU's third game this week so I'd expect it to be backups playing so they starters are ready for Maryland this weekend.

CornfieldSoccer repped this.
  17. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    In the B1G:
    OSU played Cal Poly, Wright State, Cleveland State, & Northern KY.
    MI played Duquesne, Gonzaga, Marquette, Detroit Mercy, Oakland, & Bradley.
    MD played Liberty, HIgh Point, & Delaware.
    Outside B1G:
    Marshall played VCU, Cleveland State, Pacific, Robert Morris, & Wright State.
    Syracuse played Iona, Niagara, Loyola Maryland, & Bucknell.
    Wake played Winthrop, George Mason & Jacksonville.

It is also often the case that DI schools play other in-state teams as a courtesy and to let them gain a few $$. Witness the FCS. OSU PLayed Toledo this year in football. Next year they will play Youngstown State - hardly powerhouses.

Get the picture?

18. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    A great chance for the reserves to get a run. With most teams only playing 16 D1 games, not a bad idea to add another game that you know you will win, get some guys returning from injury, and get the loyal bench guys/non-playing seniors some minutes that count. Good for the team morale and the locker room as well. It doesn't count towards the RPI at all so better than adding a very week D1 team.

fknbuflobo and BigRedFootie repped this.
  19. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
  20. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Precisely. We played hard and we had some good chances, but we couldn't add that second goal. But we're just not that good in the air - and it bit us in the butt. We're number 4!! :oops:

21. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    B10 is very competitive. I can see one of six teams with a viable chance of winning the tournament.

BigRedFootie and fknbuflobo repped this.
  22. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    And I don't want to make a big deal out of it, but the center ref didn't have his best day.

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  23. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Yeah, I agree. While I didn't have a dog in this fight of who wins the B10 tournament, it's more convenient for me that MD is #1 seed hosting as long as they win. Though MD did lose to NW last year in the B10 tournament.

EDIT: I forgot. I think that Copetti (the goal scorer) made space by pushing off in the box - early...

24. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    We advanced, but it was ugly. Didn't feel like we were going to keep them from scoring. We're lucky they didn't have an attacking plan going forward.

25. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Agreed that it wasn't the most attractive game ever played, but I also think that they/we (whoever) learned their lesson about bunkering from the previous match. We had a much more pronounced offensive presence throughout.

stphnsn repped this.