It's Still Broke... Jan 2020 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Sep 16, 2019.

1. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds about right.

2. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought AMN fancies himself not as a CM but as a wing player or wide midfielder? Thought it was only Wenger who speculated his future might be as a CM?

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I forgot most of what I knew about the Bebe scam - i delved into some very common templates. e.g players who transfer with certain managers, churning etc etc. It's possible Utd were the ones who got played but given Ser Fergus aversion to agents I doubt it.

Me and @cr7torossi came to the view that it was a vehicle to bung JM multi-millions, because Bebe was basically all profit. Likely it had something to do with the DDG transfer - he joined Utd in June 2011 and is a Mendes client who signed for a record fee.

Portuguese police to question Manchester United over Bébé transfer

Police in Portugal are planning to question Manchester United about the club's €9m (£7.2m) signing of the striker Bébé from the Portuguese club Vitória Guimarães, as part of their criminal investigation into the deal.

The judicial police national unit for combating corruption, part of the Justice Ministry based in Lisbon, is investigating the 11 August 2010 transfer, by which United paid that fee for a player whose only competitive experience was a single season in the Portuguese third division.

Bébé's agent, appointed days before he moved to United, was Jorge Mendes, also agent to Cristiano Ronaldo, Nani and Anderson, who moved from Portuguese clubs to Old Trafford in previous seasons. Of the €9m United paid to Vitória for Bébé, Mendes was paid 40%, €3.6m (£2.89m). It was reported in Vitória's subsequent general meeting that Mendes's €3.6m comprised a 10% agent's commission, €900,000, and the further €2.7m because Mendes had also just acquired 30% of Bébé's "economic rights", part-ownership of the player.

Sir Alex Ferguson said at the time that Bébé was the only player he had signed in his long managerial career without having watched him at all first, even on video. United said Bébé had been recommended by Carlos Queiroz, coach of the Portugal national team, formerly Ferguson's assistant at Old Trafford.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/may/10/portugese-police-manchester-united-bebe-transfer

daedalus repped this.
  4. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That explanation makes far more sense than Wenger signing Park Chu-young

crazy150, daedalus and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  5. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In the annals of bad transfers, that one is pretty low.

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is this basically the summary of our window so far:

* Recall forward Nketiah
    * Sign CB Mari
    * Sign RB Soares (albeit a bit injured)

* Send CB Mavropanos on loan
    * Send FWD Smith-Rowe on loan
    * Send FWD John-Jules on loan

If so, that sounds pretty decent. Of course pending how the 3 incoming dudes end up being used, and how well they end up performing.

7. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was debating between Park and Kim Kallstrom. Maybe I should have listed both, but then why stop there...

8. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Kim Kallstrom was peak Wumger era

10. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Yea your right right midfielder or winger. I think he would do well in a 3 man midfield. In a double pivot as a CM I don't know can he be worse than Guendouzi?

11. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Park was cheap and was bought as cover for RVP, but RVP stayed healthy. Kallstrom was a loan and got hurt.

IMO the worst transfers were the ones that played and were terrible: Andre Santos, Mikael Silvestre, and Sebastien Squillaci.

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's a lot of names I'd been hoping to never hear again.

daedalus, cooper7d7 and mebeSajid repped this.
  13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't Kallstrom already hurt before we signed the deal? I've always thought that deal was highly damnable, in part because of a known injury. Do I have that wrong?

14. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Classic question-begging, as I vehemently disagree with your premise.

15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was awesome --- icing an important penalty.

[​IMG]

daedalus and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  16. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As others have said, Kallstrom was brought in for immediate cover, but came in with an existing injury.

Park only played 7 games in all comps for us over 2 seasons. He only played 7 minutes total in the EPL. Even with RVP's surprising durability after Park was acquired, that's terrible.

17. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    He is poor now part of it is because of Emery mismanagement of him. Another reason is he doesn't understand positioning and runs around with a chicken with his head cut off which allows the opposition to carry literally the ball from our box in the midfield undisrupted. Every since LT and Xhaka have been picked as MF two this has been severely cut down. He has talent and does some things well but Arteta will just need time to develop him more.

18. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree he has been poor overall. He has certainly had poor matches, as nearly all our players have under Emery. But he's had many good matches as well, including four days ago. I do agree that he'll improve under Arteta's coaching.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #594 NorthBank, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Just listening to Arsecast and the guest from 7am-kickoff is discussing our 2 new defender loan signings.

He's a very stats-oriented guy and that seemed to be a big part of the basis for his assessment.

In short, he had a rather positive take on Mari and more head-scratching about Soares.

Edit: Later in podcast there was a 2nd guest from Brasil who was a little less insightful I thought,but he gave a big thumbs up for Mari, however he wondered about how fit he is, given that they're just about to start pre-season there. Hmm.

Mari also got a good word from Tim Vickery I saw recently. He said he was possibly Flamengo's most important player in their last campaign (title run?)

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  20. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sooner AMN never plays fullback again, the better. He's horrible there. Credit to the kid for working hard and never complaining, true Arsenal man, but he needs to play in midfield or further up the field out wide. It was obvious in pre-season that he was getting torched out there and 95% of this season confirms it again.

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He’s been ok u see arteta and looks comfortable playing inverted

I feel like he’s better as an 8 making more runs

he played rw at Ipswich a few years back and was good. But he’s not a winger for us as he was playing for classic clogger Mick McCarthy

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  22. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dude.

AMN is a terrific defensive fullback. Not good enough in attack, but great defensively. He doesn’t have the touch to play in midfield.

casoccerdad47 and Super Llama repped this.
  23. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #598 Shen-O, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Defensive fullbacks, are we in 1992?
    We will always be limited with fullbacks like that.
    Don’t see the point of having AMN out there, unless its an emergency, like it was earlier in the season.

Edit: changed my opinion on his take-ons after looking up his stats.

I think if Arteta really liked AMN at fullback, he wouldn’t have signed Cedric. He wants to shift him to another position.

24. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Not AMN fault that he sucked at RB during Emery reign. He isn't a RB or a fullback and he was filling a need. He was quite poor in ever facet of a RB hence his benching and Chambers playing that position. But Chambers was awful there as well so... but every since AMN has been reintroduced into the RB position he has been serviceable and quite decent. Now Bellerin back but still not 100% healthy or having as much pace as he use to, you can see the difference between the two during that Chelsea match. I believe he should be moved to his natural position right midfield. I want us to play a 4-3-3 and see him on the right maybe in a cup match.

Shen-O repped this.
  25. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This entire post is basically backing up what I said? Except you’re placing more blame on Emery.

Of course the fitter player is the better choice, doesn’t matter if we had Cafu, if he wasn’t fit yet..

Walia Ibex repped this.