It's Still Broke... Jan 2020 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Sep 16, 2019.

1. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things are obviously not right. Good bet that a change at manager is in order but new manager or not there are still some personnel issues to fix. Not expecting a ton for the Jan window but it doesn't mean we can't discuss.

2. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GK - We are fine. Eventually need someone to push Leno but low priority right now.
    LB - Assuming Tierney steps up after he is fit we should be fine.
    RB - If Bellerin comes back in decent form we should be in decent shape. That said, it would be really nice to find a backup that could push him.
    CB - Need someone to help solidify the line desperately. Hopefully Holding comes back and steps up quickly. Chambers looked decent in preseason. Wouldn't mind seeing him get a chance. Luiz & Sokratis aren't looking nearly as good as I had hoped. Don't think it is entirely their fault (more on that in a min) but they could be better all things considered.
    CM - We have lots of CMs and no true #6. This is part of our issue on defense. We are playing too many MF that either don't care about D or are too slow to do anything about it.
    W - Pepe has shown flashes. Hoping he brings it all together soon. Not a huge fan of Auba on the W for a number of reasons but it that is the best we have right now. Disappointed in Nelson. Showed so much promise at Hoffenheim and has shown nothing for us so far.
    ST - Other than bouts of poor finishing, I can't really complain much.

What I would like to see in Jan...

Sell - Mustafi, Xhaka, Ozil (I know it's not likely)
    Buy - CB, #6, LW

Was thinking about this stuff last night and also about Max Allegri's employment situation and thought it might be interesting if we target Rugani, Bentacur & Bernardeschi.

Rugani - We already went for him this window. He is a good defender. Not as physical as Luiz or Sokratis (avoid PKs) but is very good reading the play and shutting it down with positioning. Per stats, he is also good in the air. Doesn't get enough games at Juventus and fans have made him a scapegoat.
    Bentacur - Young DLP that is getting no PT due to a crowded CM group at Juventus. He is bigger and more athletic then Xhaka and capable of making the same passes. May also help settle Torreira if he was playing with a countryman.
    Bernardeschi - Not a huge goal threat but speed to burn, excellent dribbling and good at creating chances. Ive read on a few forums that Juventus fans seem to be turning on him.

Not sure if we could pull them all but they are all familiar with Allegri's system and would fill need positions...

---------------- PEA/Laca -----------------
    - Bernardeschi ------------------ Pepe -
    ---------- Dani --------- Torreira ---------
    ----------------- Bentacur -----------------
    Tierney - Holding - Rugani - Bellerin
    -------------------- Leno -------------------

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I hope we offload some
    Of the shite in jan

Xhaka, sok, mustafi most importantly

We desperately need a capable cm who can start attacks and receive the ball in deep positions without giving it away

We also need a lw

Maybe dembele is available as fati seems to be the new golden child? I like the idea of a footballing cb who is not error prone but maybe that is holding? The midfielder is a harder one to find.

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly our #1 priority for the summer window remains our #1 priority... central defense.

Lulz (there I used it!) is just not good enough. And I'm not surprised one little bit.

Sokratis I haven't completely written off yet. He's better than Lulz. His partnership with Kos was decent. I'm hoping that Sok+Holding will shore things up a bit, plus the addition of two top-class FB's quite soon.

Saliba may be a better answer in a year or so, but no sooner than that unless we were to revise his loan terms, i.e. pay more money... could we??? ;)

AND because of his pending arrival next summer, and all of the other baggage of depth that we've accumulated in this area, I assume that nothing significant will be done in this area in January.

ArsenalJake repped this.
  5. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to know why Emery hates Torreira

Fifty, Super Llama and GunnerJacket repped this.
  6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. It's one of the biggest puzzles in our squad. And I intuitively feel like it's holding back our MF progress.

Shen-O repped this.
  7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tbh he is t very good
    He needs to be used as a dm rather than b2b

8. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More of Emery’s brilliance, he should be DM. Thats what he played at Samp. If Emery wanted a b2b, he should have re-signed Bennacer.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not convinced that he's no good, but he does seem like a natural DM. Which is why it irks me that Granit Fvcking Xhaka has a virtual lock on that position.

I've been hearing more and more about Torreira not being the player Emery wanted. OK too bad, I'm sorry, but play the man to his strengths please????!

Shen-O repped this.
  10. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Torreira was a good buy and it's on Emery that he's not being used properly. He's a player with obvious useful skills and it should be easy to get production out of him.

11. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Absolutely need to discard Xhaka, but he is a club captain can we really see him leaving?
    He has been an absolute hindrance to our team this year though.

12. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Emery is retained, no. If Stan/Josh opt to fire Emery, no telling what the new manager might want to do.

13. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being captain is the first step to leaving Arsenal

14. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A man who knows his history.

15. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I go away for 2 days and all this churn!

Reading posts on a day by day, hour by hour basis, you guys seem like pretty reasonable, objective posters.

But to binge read 2-3 days of posts, I feel like the sky is falling!!

All of a sudden, Obi Won called and Emery is not the manager we're looking for.

16. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our stance is unchanged

[​IMG]

17. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors out of Spain that Ceballos has told RM that he wants to move to Arsenal permanently.

18. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that as well, and my first thought was, "Why say this now?"

Seriously, who benefits from making this statement 8 games into the season after an International break? I'm not even sure we want him yet.

Shen-O repped this.
  19. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, we all gushed after his first game but now I’m not so sure. Gotta give him another few months to be judged more accurately.

20. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But wasn't there an interview like a week ago with him where he said Arsenal is good for him so he can play in the euros, but his goal is to play for RM?

21. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    I hope that Tierney comes through because, right now, all of the summer transfers look extra mediocre.

22. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ceballos has been incredibly underwhelming. Doesn't create chances or advance the ball. Like a shitty Xavi.

23. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ceballos isn’t good.

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah we need a more dynamic cm

25. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Jury’s still out, imo, but you expect to see more involvement. Great technique, but seems like something’s missing