Its really time the Playoffs crossed over isn't it?

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by MLSFan10, Mar 17, 2015.

1. MLSFan10

MLSFan10 Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Why do we have the Eastern/Western conference teams each play each other 3 times and then dual it out again in the playoffs?

It makes no sense. We should have the regular season, declare the top seeded teams in each conference the conference champions, give them the 1 seed on each side of the bracket and then crossover the teams.

1 seeds skip the first round of the playoffs, 2 seeds play the 6 seed from the opposite conference, 3 seeds play the 4 seeds, and then the one seed gets the lowest seed left on their side of the bracket.

Then you can do as the NCAA does and just label the final pairings the MLS Final Four presented by Audi!

Soon we'll reach a point where there will be teams in the East and teams in the West that never play each other.

Any league with East/West conferences shouldn't have their playoffs be within the same conference. The NFL playoffs make sense because there are teams within the same conference that don't play each other in the regular season. So the playoffs within the same conference makes total sense there.

In our league, it will make no sense as teams in the same conference will probably all play each other home and away and there will be teams in the other conference that they haven't played.

2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm struggling to find anything in this post I agree with.

JasonMa repped this.
  3. MLSFan10

MLSFan10 Member

Mar 23, 2014
    That's how I know I'm right. :)

4. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it. I've always liked the idea of the possibility of another San Jose vs LA final. Or Seattle vs Portland. Or any other great regional rivalry.

henryo and MLSFan10 repped this.
  5. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    With the final to be hosted by the higher seed nowadays, the disappointment of the 2010 final with western teams at an eastern stadium won't be repeated... ;)

6. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I wish we could have regional finals too, like baseball and the NFL, except any two teams could meet.

MLSFan10 repped this.
  7. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So wait, is the point to create regional rivalries in the finals, like is possible in baseball, or to make playoff matches where the teams haven't played each other all year, like happens in exactly no sports and couldn't possibly happen in MLS?

I just want to know which idea I should argue against

8. MLSFan10

MLSFan10 Member

Mar 23, 2014
    This.

By all means, make a fool of yourself.

9. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay. Well, for starters:

1. You have not explained why this proposal is good. Simply put, you haven't met the burden of proof.
    2. This is not done literally anywhere outside of college football.
    2A. This is done in college football only as a way to handle 120 teams.
    3. Two separate leagues, labelled east and west, that never play each other is not something the league wants. The League wants a big LAG/NYC match every year, as a driver of ratings
    3A. There is a possibility that such a system would be against FIFA's requirement that there only be a single First Division in each nation.

10. MLSFan10

MLSFan10 Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ok, you somewhat misunderstand what I'm suggesting.

What I'm proposing is an MLS regular season that is like it is today. However, going forward, beyond 24 teams, we'll have so many teams that not every team will play every other team in the regular season. That's really the reason you should have playoffs in the first place. If we remain at a 34 game regular season, as we climb closer and closer to 30+ teams, its just inevitable that there will be teams that don't play other teams in the regular season. The most likely scenario is that those teams will be teams from opposite conferences.

So I'm not suggesting East and West conferences that are completely standalone but if we have a 30 team league, 15 teams to a conference, and you play everyone home and away in your conference, that's 28 games. Leaving just 6 games for out of conference play, which means there will be 9 out of conference teams you didn't play that season.

As for the reason of "we'll no one else does it that way!" that is just about the dumbest reason not to do something. All I'm saying is if they have a format in the regular season where every Eastern conference team plays every other Eastern conference team but doesn't play every Western conference team, then the playoffs should crossover, where the Eastern playoff teams play the Western playoff teams to improve the probably that good teams from both conferences that didn't meet in the regular season would have to square off on the road to the championship.

It wouldn't make sense to have the Eastern teams all play Eastern teams in the playoffs if they've already played all the Eastern teams already this year while there's teams in the West that they didn't play.

11. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, by your own admission the point of this scheme was to have playoff matches where teams haven't played each other before, but now the teams are playing each other before....I'm lost. It seems like your argument has no internal consistency.

No, it's a really really good reason to not do something. There is a principle in economics called 'opportunity cost', essentially, whenever you're doing something you could be doing something else. A league that's not nearly as popular or economically viable as at-least 6 other sports trying to compete for the same finite set of eyes should not, should not be the one to try fun new flights of fancy.

So, even in that system you still don't succeed in your stated goals? Sounds legit

Were you intending to support this with facts, or should we just take your word for it? You understand that just repeating yourself with different words isn't actually an argument, right?

12. MLSFan10

MLSFan10 Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Are you European? I assumed my reader was American and would understand what I was saying.

Guess you should've called Steve Jobs,years ago, and told him, "Steve, Apple is a smaller company right now. Don't do things differently right now, just copy Sony!"

I can't get over just how incredibly dumb this post is. I guess nothing makes you stand out from established competition...like trying to be exactly the same product for no reason.

BTW, if there's more teams than can reasonably be expected to be played in a regular season then there's no real way to make absolutely sure everyone play's everyone else, this just improves the odds that good teams from both conferences meet.. As opposed to just replaying teams you have met already.

13. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Some type of crossover provides the benefit of allowing the two best teams of meeting in the final irrespective of their geography.

I would also note many NBA fans are complaining right now about how the NBA doesn't do this and the need to move away from insisting an East team make the final.

One of the main arguments put forward by MLS apologists on why we need this system is that you need teams from two different time zones for a final. However, this is not done in most American sports.

Additionally, people say they want regional rivals meeting in the playoffs, but then support a system which disallows regional rivals from meeting in the league's premiere event.

Basically, the beauty with a cross over of some type is that:

a) it inherently avoids issues in playoffs where one division is clearly better than the other. Related to this, it allows the two best teams at the premiere event
    b) it avoids contrived playoff possibilities and allows some variety

14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok: I love American playoff formats, but I don't give a rip who appears in the Final(s).

I would LOVE to see Seattle and Portland in a final. Or Columbus/DC. NYC/NYRB. Those could be EPIC.

But if you have a mixed-conference format that allows for any and all matchups, you set up possibilities for ridiculous travel, which impacts the matches -- especially if the schedule is cramped.

Wait until Seattle has to play Toronto home, NYRB away, NYRB home, New England away, New England home, and DC away in the final. Really?

Not to mention -- keeping the rivals separated until the final means you get fewer of those playoff rivalry matchups overall because Columbus is playing Vancouver instead of New England, and L.A. is playing Orlando instead of San Jose.

RafaLarios repped this.
  15. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thanks for at least acknowledging this.

I agree with this point to an extent. Personally, it's a reason I'd prefer a crossover only at the semi final stage.

That being said, soccer's only played once a week. So I don't think the travel would be that bad of an issue.

Keep in mind, baseball does this for all playoff rounds, and plays five games a week (I get it's baseball but still). Similarly, NFL doesn't seem to have an issue with it.

It's not prohibited, it just isn't forced. So DC could still meet New York at some point before the final. There is also a bit of rivalry fatigue if you end playing a team 5 times in a season. The whole intensity thing goes out of it after a while.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  16. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe just re-seed when we get to the final four?

nlsanand repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, except the MLS playoffs has midweek games as well.

18. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    I still don't see the benefit. If we have East and West Conferences, I like the idea of each sending its champion to do battle. If we had interconference playoff games prior to the final, that would just muddy the water for me.

19. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best solution, if a NY Derby Final is preferable. I don't think that has been properly demonstrated

20. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's only midweek in one round, no (the play-in)?

21. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That might also make sense. Though, one might argue it might not account for the difference in schedules in some circumstances.

That being said, it would actually randomize the final four more.

22. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So "muddying the water" is the bigger issue than the more obvious issues raised above (competitiveness, fairness).

23. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Not at all. I simply don't see any benefit in competition and fairness by doing this, and to make matters worse, you introduce weird mixing of conferences. Remember, we did this before, and had stupid things happen like teams from one conference becoming "Champions" of the other conference.

24. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The conference champions can be from the regular season, and they can get the CONCACAF champions league places (with the MLS cup winner). I like the possibility of seeing a new opponent in the play-offs instead of Dallas for the third time.

25. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    I'd be fine with that, but good luck convincing Garber. He loves that Conference Championship game.