It's Over Right? (R)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by SS2006, Jul 11, 2005.

1. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada
    in the gold cup
    no chance
    mexico are third with 3 poinits in thier group
    TandT are in 3rd wit 2 points, and have 1 game against columbia , if they tie they get 3 points and + 3 GD. if columbia win they get 3rd also with something higher then -2 GD
    we have 0 Points with -3 GD, so a win over cuba by 3 goals?!
    every god dam team is qualified, T and T, jamaica for gods sake, why cant we
    it doesnt get easier then this when even the 3rd place qualifies
    do we suck this bad :mad:

2. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: It's Over Right?

Canadians find themselves at a disadvantage, what with their entire upper-body consisting on one giant arm. :(

3. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002

The chances are very slim, but technically we are still alive. A Colombia 1-0 victory over T&T is the best thing that could happen for us, along with a 3-0 win over Cuba. That would qualify us.

Not going to hold my breath of course, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

4. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005

I think our chances are very slim, because we need to hope for other results to fall our way, plus we will have to score a bunch of goals against Cuba. Based on history, I'd be surprised if we beat Cuba by more than 1-0 (if we beat them at all). A 1-0 victory probably won't be enough to get us through.

5. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada

where the hells guzman, stalteri and why aint hume starting

and to a more older extent, will de vos and radzinski every play again?

6. Captain Canuck

May 13, 2002

De Guzman, Stalteri, Klukowski, Imhof, Nsaliwa all declined to participate since they are starting with new clubs (Deportivo La Caruna, Tottenham, Brugges, Bochum respectively, except for Nsaliwa who was looking for a while but then re-signed with his old one, Saarbrucken). Jazic is injured, Reda's getting married and Radzinski took the summer off. De Vos has for all intents & purposes retired from international play. Hume didn't start the last match or play at all due to injury and he might not be able to play tonight either.

7. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada

see yall in 2010 :(
    im out

8. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001

Colombia just won 2-0. They have 3 points, and an even GD (3-3).

Canada currently has a GD of -3 (0-3), so that means Canada must beat Cuba by at least three goals tonight to advance. If the score ends 3-0, I believe there will be a coin flip.

9. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada

this could be the biggest miracle in canadian soccer
    ill awtch it, lets go for a 3-0! lol cant wait to see this

10. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Re: It's Over Right? [R]

Sorry to tell you guys this. It seems that if Canada kept Cuba scoreless they would have advanced into the Quarterfinals of the Gold Cup and knocked out Colombia.

You had a two goal lead before stoppage time and it was that one goal in stoppage time that ended their chances.

I was rooting for you guys to get into the Quarterfinals. With that Cuban goal scored in stoppage time, both Mexico & Guatemala will advance.

Honestly the scoreline should be Canada 7, Cuba 1, but so many chances squandered, if not squandered stopped by the Cuban keeper.

11. Captain Canuck

May 13, 2002

No, we needed at least a 3-0 victory. That's why we still pressing so badly when we were up 2-0 (which was the only way that Cuba got that late goal, with our entire team up the field). One of the three disallowed goals would have done it - the one that should have counted (the other two were rightfully disallowed) in particular.

We squandered too many chances, the players & coaches were obviously frustrated out there (the look on the Canadian bench when Occean missed the breakaway chance in the first half).

Was Cuba always that bad in this tourney? How did the US not beat them 7-1 as well, or did you miss the same number of chances we did?

12. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles

Two Cuban players defected - besides messing up the line-up - that can't be good for the team's morale.

13. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998

Honestly Captain Canuck our guys that started the 1st half against Cuba just took them for granted and assumed they were going to roll over them. When Cuba scored that goal in the 18th minute I was livid. There was no fire in the belly in that first half. When Landon Donovan came into the game then they played better.

But like I said on the USA boards, the only time Cuba should have scored a goal is when it was a consolation prize, but unfortunatly for you and the rest of Canada that goal was a heartbreaker.

14. Captain Canuck

May 13, 2002

I believe Jamaica needs to beat Mexico 6-0 now for Canada to advance. So yes, in other words its over. The young team played well for the most part, liked their style, had no luck around the net (except our own) and no help from the officials that's for sure. We would have been through with the draw we so clearly deserved against Costa Rica and this win. A shame.

15. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998

I thought the plan by all the players was to defect after being eliminated from the Gold Cup. :D

16. Captain Canuck

May 13, 2002

Well we did need one more to force a coin toss (which everyone knows we excel at ;) ) but yes, that last goal ended all hope. We should really have had the 3 goal lead (in fact, more than that) long before injury time.

17. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats on your victory nonetheless...youve got some good youth and hopefully you guys can utilize it in your quest toward the 2009 hex....

18. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada

its a shame noone can god dam finish
    a draw with costa rica wouldve went a LONG way now eh
    well lets go jaamica, 5-0 vs. mexico!

19. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Yeah, a win against Cuba is good. However, looking back the draw against Costa Rica would have been crucial.

Oh well.

Now to look forward to the 2007 Gold Cup (if that is the year for the next GC).

Nothing like having to look forward to almost two years of friendly matches. Hopefully we will get a few at home. :)

20. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998

Agreed Captain Canuck. Prendergast costed Canada a pt. A B.S. Penalty call.