It's over-red stars will not play in 2011

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by Fanaddict, Dec 13, 2010.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's a good point. I did see Marcia at the USWNT game against Italy at Toyota Park. But I also saw Emma Hayes. I know the staff has been wittled down and I also understand that the offices are no longer at the trailer at Toyota Park. I they have been moved to where the coaches' offices are in Oak Brook. I don't blame them for moving from the trailer. That, IMO was a diss by TP and the Fire to the Red Stars.

Is Marcia McDermott still with the organization?

2. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Mrad -DID you see that SOL put two teams in the WPSL as Pro teams..Just saw that in the WPSL forum.

3. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It makes sense. It's more cost effective, you still get to keep your presence in the region and open opportunities up for more players. It may very well establish a base to build upon if or when they bring a WPS team back to the area.

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I saw that also.
    I think that would be that way to go for the CRS as well for this year.

5. ciudadcentral

ciudadcentral New Member

May 27, 2005
    Chi - ca - go!
    Here's an idea I wanted to share regarding the WPS and their business model.

When you consider other, successful, established leagues (ie: MLB, NFL, etc.) their model is so far advanced/mature than the WPS. (If you've ever read about the early days of the NFL, the WPS doesn't look so bad.) The current model those leagues can't be applied to a new, upstart league. Far too many challenges. Obviously, I think everyone understands this.

But a difference we have from 1920 to now is that we have far better understanding of marketing, advertising, imagery and all that goes with it.
    Consider: any time you read about purchasing power, you'll be amazed at the studies that show the extent of the persuasion that women have in what is purchased. Women control what is purchased in this country, from consumer items to real estate. Marketing and advertising is directed towards the decision-maker of the purchase.

Considering this, what would it take to make the teams corporate-owned?

Think, the WPS would identify 12 locations across the US and seek corporate sponsors in those cities. Thus, you would have Revlon(Los Angeles) playing Bank of America(Bay Area) or Wrigley (Chicago) playing American Airlines (Dallas). The deal would be something like each corporate sponsor would pick up the cost of the players (20 @ $30k/year) and in turn they'd have the team as corporate spokespersons, available for advertising, etc. Not that outrageous when you consider advertising budgets. Honestly, I can't think of a better "face" of a brand than the women in the WPS (young, vibrant, strong, confident). Plus, think of the international effect of the brand - unlike men's soccer, you would have the women all to yourselves. I think it may be worth more than the MLS in terms of exposure. It may be a little late for all this, but I don't think this league is going to last (unfortunately) under its current structure.

6. GLBryan

GLBryan Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Georgia
    Good times!

7. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    You don't need to ignore anyone--Blass will take care of anyone she feels ruffles feathers..All you regulars need to do is report the post and she will ride to your rescue.. Even though members like Mrad says "let everyone one speak." Then she protects the GM's like they are little kids. If they choos to come on here just because they put GM by their name they are protected..How does she know they are really the GM?

but hey all you regulars do a great job pushing people out-I mean look at all the new posters on here -----hmmmm can't seee any? Same old handful!!

So you either drink the kool aid or get harassed,,,,,

8. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live about 270 miles from Toyota Park and have attended five games there, four WPS, one USWNT.

I can only say that I enjoyed every trip I made up there. The atmosphere was good and maybe I just happened to be lucky, but the attendance was over the "average" every time I was there (in fact my guesses were higher than the announced attendance in every single instance). Once this year, there was over 6,000 for the game against FC Gold Pride. The USWNT game was around 10,000. I've got nothing but good things to say about it.

The 2009 season was beset by a number of problems for the Red Stars. The weather sucked for several matches and they had like 4 or 5 straight home games in May, when a lot of teenage girls (certainly one of the larger blocks of fans) are going to proms and graduations. I think I am also correct in saying that Chicago was the only original team never to have all three of their USWNT on the field at the same time at any point. Additionally, the team had a crappy record and had two stretches of well over 300 minutes where they didn't score a goal, plus only one home game against their closest rival. Let's face it, that isn't going to put a lot of people in the stands.

I think the support in Chicago was there, certainly equal to most of the other teams in the league. I don't think support was the problem, it was getting enough investment in the team and reducing costs that were the problems. Costs were always going to be a big problem with Toyota Park. It's a great venue, but also an expensive one.

I'll miss the team for a lot of reasons. For the joy of watching the games and for all the friends I've made up there. And, for those of us who really enjoy watching the games in person, it makes it that much harder for those of us out of the eastern time zone to attend a match.

9. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cannot understand why the rental costs are that high. Toyota park has a couple concerts a year and the fire. They should be begging for tenants.Before they announced they wouldn't play in 2011 there was a rumor they were looking for a cheaper place to play. I can't understand why they couldn't renegotiate with Bridgeview, as like I said any rental on those open dates is better than nothing.I agree though the lack of an investor is the main reason the're not playing.

10. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Do we know its expensive or are we assuming ?? Unless someone knows for sure maybe we shouldn't bring that in as fact.

If High school games can be played there how expensive can it be?

11. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure for the high school games played there (Which are only the Championship games for the Pepsi Showdown correct?) Toyota Park doesn't have full out staff at parking, tickets, vending, security, etc. So I doubt it's expensive for them.

12. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was confirmed by an inside source they were considering moving to a cheaper venue but I don't know what they were being charged or why they couldn't renegotiate.

13. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on the high school event, who's paying for it, and who's sponsoring it. There are high school football and basketball games played at major arenas and stadiums around the country. In St. Louis, there has been high school sports played at every major venue in the city at one time or another.

No, don't know the for sure, exact amount that the Red Stars were paying to lease the stadium. I do know that out of the three venues (well there were several in St. Louis but I'll count them as one) that I have been to, there was more security, more lighting, more vendors, more ushers, more parking attendents, etc. by far at Toyota Park than at the other venues I've been to. Not to mention, someone has to pay to operate the huge scoreboard, which in electricity alone probably isn't too cheap. That all costs money, whether the team is paying those costs directly or if the stadium owners are paying with the team paying them indirectly through lease payments. The sheer size of Toyota Park makes it more expensive to operate than a smaller venue.

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, when SBFC looked into doing something w/ RedBull in their new park, RedBull told SBFC they would have to pony up $100k per game for SBFC to play @ the RedBull stadium.

CRS may have been very interested in renegotiating. Perhaps it was the Fire that did not want to alter the price tag. Just because fans think it would be a natural idea/fit for two teams to work together, that doesn't mean the Fire think that -- at the beginning weren't there rumors about certain Fire folks (not fans) being less than interested in amicably working w/ the CRS start-up GM you know, the guy that use to work for the Fire.

I agree that the lack of a new investor was the primary "culprit" in CRS not playing in 2011. The non-profit idea presented in the WPS commish thread is an intriguing prospect, especially for a CRS team which already had its own CRS Foundation. Are any of you knowledgeable about just what the CRS Foundation was (is?) and how that was set up?

As I said on the other thread, I would be willing/interested in working with some folks that might be seriously interested in investigating the potential for a club to go the Greenbay Packer non-profit route. I don't have credentials like a law degree or CPA cert but I've got some brains and I've worked w/ non-profits before.

15. karyn@wps

karyn@wps New Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Hi Everyone,

Just a heads up that the Chicago Red Stars website will be coming down tomorrow (12/22). It's hard to see the team suspend operations, but thank you for your support of the team and please continue to support women's soccer in the Chicago area as the Red Stars attempt to return to WPS in 2012.

Karyn Lush
    Head of New Media
    Women's Professional Soccer

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take that there are no plans for playing in the WPSL or the W-league?

17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    At this point, I just want my money back that I paid for the 2011 WPS season and move on.

If the team decides to come back in 2012, then fine. We'll talk about buying tickets then. But as of now, I really don't want to think about this debacle any more.
    I'm tired of it and it just makes pisses me off.

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rep did tell me that they will mail the checks out starting in January.

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes. I was told the same thing.
    It's just with fans of the other teams talking about free agency and draft picks and looking forward to next season, we have NOTHING. I's very very disappointing.
    And it happened so fast. If I knew back in the summer that the CRS was in a financial crunch, I may feel different and not be as pissed. But we as fans believed all along that everything was fine, IMO.
    And then BOOM, all of a sudden we don't have any more money and it's over.
    Just like that.

Like I said, if by next year they are legit about comming back to the WPS, then I'll talk about supporting them again.

For now I'll go back to focusing on the Chicago Fire's upcoming season.

20. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure you even wanna think about that? I'm not exactly in the best mood about everything going on with that team either..

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I do know what you mean. There is really not all that much to look forward to the Fire season as well. Some big names are gone, but at least they are there. And I have been a Chicago Fire fan since the beginning. I rarely miss a Fire game.

The Red Stars fed us sugar for 2 years then all of a sudden took it away and told us to go cold turkey.

I've said it before, I'm emotionally exhausted on the Red Stars.
    There's nothing there to hope for anymore but your 2011 season ticket refund check.

As far as 2012? Well, we'll see.

22. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, at least the Fire is still there. Still, I can't wait for another "rebuilding year" :rolleyes:.

23. suncraver03

suncraver03 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have mostly been staying away from reading the message board and haven't been posting at all lately. The practical reason is that graduate school has taken over my entire existence since the beginning of the school year. Even as the semester was coming to an end, though, I found myself staying away. I became increasingly depressed as it seemed more and more unlikely that there would be a Christmas miracle. That fear crystalized for me after talking to a couple front office people when we were at TP for the WNT game. I guess I hadn't realized just how much of a reduction there had been in staff. I mean, how are supposed to sell your product if you get rid of all your sales people?

In the week after the announcement, I mourned by wearing a different jersey everyday--topping it off with my #4 Fabregas WC jersey...which I had a sad time explaining to my intro students!

It still hurts, but I consider myself fortunate to have been a small part of the team as a season ticket holder. I hope there is a 2012 season and I will be just as enthusiatic of a supporter.

24. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    I know exactly how you guys feel-it's the worst. Sorry for your loss-I enjoyed the one Red Stars game I attended-the fans were great. It is really hard to be a fan of women's soccer these days, but I guess it was great while it lasted.

25. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Hey all,

As much as I hate to, I'm going to ask that the Chicago Red Stars forum be moved under 'expansion' through the 2011 season. Once the season is over -- and it's been announced the Red Stars will be back in 2012 -- I'll have the admin move it back.

Thanks.