Its official MLS and Chivas reach a agreement

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by Frank Cunha, Oct 27, 2003.

1. WVKeeper

WVKeeper Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Charlotte Suburbs, SC
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Its official MLS and Chivas reach a agreement

I went to a Mexico-Columbia friendly in San Diego, place was packed with mexicans...

2. WVKeeper

WVKeeper Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Charlotte Suburbs, SC
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FU$% ART MODELL

3. WVKeeper

WVKeeper Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Charlotte Suburbs, SC
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: suck it up

There all rich whiteys because it costs $800 an hour to be in ODP, even us poor white kids can't play ODP...

4. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado

I think that MLS has done a pretty good job holding Vergara in check. They didn't let him stmapede them into starting in 2004 and changing the rules. If he can figure out how to "dominate the league" while keeping the salary cap and player restrictions, then he will have the right to be a bit arrogant. But I don't think it's going to be as easy as he thinks.

5. SousaJP

SousaJP New Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Vienna, VA
    I don't see this as a bad thing for MLS. This San Diego Chivas team will be an expansion team with solid ownership behind it from Day 1 - something the league has been searching for for years. That will only make our league stronger. Once they get an SSS in order, then they'll really be in business.

I could care less if that team has a "mexican" feel to it or whatever. Just play good soccer and make MLS better. Isn't that what we all want? And I will be anxiously awaiting their first game at RFK in 2005 so I can watch DC United beat the snot out of them!

6. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee...I hope some of you go back and look at some press releases for why Budweiser, Honda, Pepsi, and RadioShack are sponsors of the league.

I think one of the reasons is that MLS helped provide an avenue into the Hispanic market...a market they probably didn't have as much access to in America through other top sports...

7. rchgrca

rchgrca New Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Fremont, CA
    Agree and disagree. From what I've seen, using consistent attendance as the barometer, The San Francisco Bay Area shows its support for only one team: the 49ers. Their games have been sold out for over two decades.

MLB San Francisco Giants - not until Pac Bell Park was opened have their been consistent sell outs. I remember sitting in a very empty Candlestick Park watching the Giants

NFL Oakland Raiders - for all the passion their fans spew, they still can't sell out their games

MLB Oakland A's - even in the postseason its a real chore to get large attendances

NBA Golden State Warriors - let's not even go there. Even free tickets don't guarantee a packed house.

NHL San Jose Sharks - somewhat consistent large attendances but pretty spotty.

MLS San Jose E-Quakes - we know the story

8. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: suck it up

DING DING DING DING DING

And there's a lot of non-whiteys on our national teams anyway.

9. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    Quite the emotional thread here, which shows passion on both sides notwithstanding the occasional slurs (in the heat of battle, no doubt!).

While I'm happy for San Diego (should SD be the site... those fires should die down before 05, wouldn't you think), I continue my reservations about Senor V's bravado... though really not that much different than what we hear from the other media darlings of sports heirarchy earlier mentioned. May it be successful for MLS as much as for Chivas.

As kpaulson noted, we do not have all the particulars of the agreement. I would like to see it word for word. And I would trust MLS has in it a Plan B for the franchise & city should, at any time, Senor V decide to take his pelota (ala Wolstein/Force/Cleveland) and head home.

As for Cleveland... seems as if some of us are so desperate for a pro team that we'd swallow it even if the Ayatollah himself bought the franchise & built the SSS. Or Qadafi Jr. Just keep the @#!%@# gridiron lines off the pitch, thank you. No dogs or American football allowed. Polka festivals & flea markets welcome. Be very careful, commish.

Can't close without a shameless plug for the people who just provided me with the excellent replica NASL Stokers throwback jersey @ The Sports Zone aka www.oldjerseys.com. I'd display it as my icon, but, being XXL, would probably exceed the bandwidth. An excellent piece of work.

10. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I never expected him to say, "Well... maybe in a few years we can compete with you... I think we will lose a lot... don't count on support from Chicanos... "

He's coming in to win, to be numero uno and show us how it's done. I wouldn't have it any other way: competition, pride, and maybe a boatload of publicity.

11. scrub

scrub Member

Oct 12, 2000
    I think if anybody wants to invest in the league that's a good thing. Somebody who will bring in a large number of Mexican fans is great. Sometimes the Mexican fans will be at the enemy city (ie, Mexican fans cheering Chivas at Gillette). This is still good. More fans is always better.

There are several ways to get Mexican players on your team without using "loopholes": up to 3 SI from Mexico, some number of transitional and junior internationals from Mexico, Mexicans with green cards, and dual citizens from US/Mexico. Seems like you could easily fill a good part of a team that way, perhaps the whole team, given that he has a lot of ability to find Mexican players.

12. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And this is what I have a problem with. MLS is more than JUST MAKING MONEY. It's about establishing soccer as a legit, permanent sport here in the states and about nurturing and developing american talent...EVERYWHERE. It's just unfortunate that MLS is so focused on one ethnic group when they should be focused on trying to educate the entire american populace about the beautiful game.

And don't give me any bullsh!t about white people not liking soccer. I bet the hispanic population of Columbus, Ohio isn't even 10% and look how much support that team gets from its fans and the community.

13. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Oh I agree. MLS is about establishing soccer as a legit permanent sport.

Which is going to take sh!tloads of money.

You honestly think MLS is ignoring white people? Hardly. Take a look at the partnerships MLS has. The idea that MLS is ignoring white people is preposterous.

Yeah, but when you do marketing, who do you target? Loyal customers or prospective customers?

Think like a businessman for a second.

As for "white people not liking soccer", that's irrelevant. It's a certainty that the average latino is more likely to pick soccer as his favorite sport than the average white dude from the US. So, if you've got a community that is interested in your type of product, but isn't a loyal customer yet, I think it's a bit of a no-braining where I'd put proportionately more of my marketing dollars.

14. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a sports historian, but isn't there some precedent for sports leagues pandering to ethnicity in this country? It seems to me that there historically have been several teams that have associated themselves with the Irish population. That isn't to make a judgement about whether or not it's a good thing.

15. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
  16. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    No kidding. Trust me bud if it was Manchester United comig in here you woudl have a bunch of these same schmucks sayign what a good thing it would be and how we should do whatever it takes to get them aboard. Get over the hatred. We kicked their ass in the World Cup there is no need for som many of you to have this inferiority complex that you do. That should be directed toward the american media not vegara. We should be kissing his ass, along with Kronke's.

17. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    Re: "Vergara said he is willing to invest $12 to $15 million to get a Chivas USA team"

Wow just 12 million huh??? The only person living in a dream world is you. 12 million is alot of freaking money.

18. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    WHO THE *#*#*#*# CARES!!!!! HOLY FREAKING LORD!!! ARE YOU REALLY THAT BIG OF A NIT PICKING LITTLE BITCH!!?!?!?! SO what??? So freaking what!?!?!

19. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I will say it once again: if nothing else, we will get another SSS in another major American city, so that even if Vergara wants out, somebody else can buy the team and the SSS.

20. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    Re: Re: Its official MLS and Chivas reach a agreement

Really?? Doing fine?/ Pandering to ethnics?? What exactly are you American Indian?? How would you feel if MLS said "screw soccer fans! we aren't going to pander to them there are plenty of maintstream amercian sports fabs out there??" As far as I saw last time MLS is STILL losing money so it isn't doign quite as fine as you think it is. When we are cash flow positive with a solid solid fan base then I will say sure!! We are doing great. Until then bring on the Chivas and wlecome to MLS!

21. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Chivas' (lack of) success since he bought the team is anything to go by, this might not be a significant concern.

Personally, I am looking forward to flipping on the TV some Saturday in 2005 and watching the Galaxy and their fans learn what it feels like to be outnumbered in your own stadium for an MLS game.

22. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    THIS IS NOT A DEAL YET!

This is a framework or ground for a deal, between Garber and Veragara, which needs to be voted on by MLS Board of Governors on 10/29/2003.

They are the ones who will approve the date of expansion and the cities were expansion will take place.

23. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    I don't understand why people think he is trying to push MLS around?? The guy is a business man and he was trying a few different things and seing what he can do, thats it!! He is trying to buy into American soccer. Don't assume he is hostile because he is Mexican.

24. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely true, but if the Board of Governors doesn't approve it, Garber's toast and so, probably, is the league. I'm not saying that failure to get Chivas into MLS would be lethal but that it's always bad when a CEO is publicly overruled by his board. Such a scenario would suggest that MLS as an organization is in deep trouble.

25. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, Garber is more like a puppet/advisor to the board. I mean if Phill and Lamar didnt want Garber to agree to this, he would not have. It would be like selling your house without telling your wife. or buying all of Canada when you dont have a check book.
    they absolutely working together. now some day the board of gov will some day be a bit different from the Commish, but for now, they are all one entity