Its official MLS and Chivas reach a agreement

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by Frank Cunha, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good:

MLS isn't letting Chivas have more internationals than the league allows.

NO second Los Angeles club

Team coming in 2005...not sooner.

Bad:

I truly hope that Qualcomm stadium is indeed a temporary solution

A 3rd team in California

Vergara is a pompous prick who I feel has no real respect for our league

2. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    And you said that based on.....

all that was said here in this forums was pure rumors about changing rules and else.... damn.. I'm laughing right now for the cryiers around here....

3. amancalledmikey

Oct 27, 2003
    I have a bindle at this point...
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    "Vergara said he is willing to invest $12 to $15 million to get a Chivas USA team"

Just $12 mil? I thought a franchise was $10 mil. A few years to get profitable, plus single entity meaning that you are carrying the losses of other teams. He's living in a dream world, surely?

4. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"A team as popular as Chivas could really dominate, become the team with the most support in the league."

That's a pompous and arrogant statement. I feel that he's only saying that based on the fact that the team would be all hispanic players and therefore could beat everyone else.

Also....I'm still curious as to whether we should be trusting this guy. He seems more interested in his own self-interests than in the health and vitality of our league.

5. CHSsoccer08

CHSsoccer08 Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garber said the league would not change its rules to allow the new Chivas team to sign more Mexican players.

"They will find ways, within our rules, so their team can have more of a Hispanic or Mexican flare," he said.

That quote from the article on foxsportsworld.com defintly puts a little bit of fear in me. So basically he is saying that they will loosly operate in the leagues rules but we will allow them loopholes to get around them.

6. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    I think the subtitle of the forum should read:

MFL expands her footprint across the USA.

Dont worry, I wont support. Even if America buys one, I still wont support. I only support one team.

I think its safe to say, Chivas will be the most hated team... something they are not used to in Mexico.

In Mexico, they are loved and Club America are hated. I dont know, i think the tables could turn if America also came into the picture. They would be loved and Chivas hatd

lol

7. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vergara said he eventually would like an exchange of players between his Mexico-based and U.S.-based teams. "We want talent from both countries to be able to play in both countries," he said.

This is another thing I don't like. I want a strong, awesome, talented, AMERICAN soccer league. I thought that the point of this league was to develop and nurture american talent...not Mexican talent. I don't want our teams playing in Mexico's league and I really don't want Mexico's teams playing in our league.

Oh well...

8. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If our US teams have the opportunity to play in the Mexican league they should jump at it. It will only make them stronger.

9. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Just to placate the ESPN.com bashers, I wanted to note that I put this story out on the site's homepage in headline news.

Rock on, MLS.

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    The league also has 20 slots designated for foreign players 24 and younger, and there is no limit on how many of those slots a particular team can own.

they could get players like Forchetti, Varga etc. how much they help the Metrostars? nothing

11. PALE568

PALE568 Member

Jun 5, 2003
    mind your own.
    When I saw the headline on ESPN.com, I was pretty happy. And a lot of things in article made me happy, particularly waiting until 2005 & not allowing them to have an all-Mexican team.

So, all that's good.

But, yeah, what a prick this guy is. It doesn't seem like he's investing in the league, so much as invading California. You think he would offer up some bland corporatespeak like "we're excited about this new partnership & look forward to building on the wonderful fan base in US by reaching out to the Hispanic community". Not this "we have come to crush you" nonsense.

With that said - let's be happy we have a league & welcome the new investor.

12. Baracuda

Baracuda Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Portland Oregon
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand the thought of an American only league, but the whole Chivas USA thing (from MLS's perspective) is obviously designed to increase interest in the league among the 39 million Hispanics in the United States.
    As the league grows more popular, and more money is generated, the the quality of play in MLS will improve and give the US players a higher quality to test themselves against.

It'll also give "us" a team to hate.

Chivas USA sucks.

13. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And why is it bad to solidify a market in a state w/ a population larger than Spain?

Why is it bad to solidify intrastate rivalries?

Why is it bad to take advantage of the TJ market (will provide a bit of support as TJ has no MFL team, and a LOT of ppl have legal access to cross the border at will), plus the South Orange County market.

I don't know, but in an AP article they mentioned cleveland being the complete forerunner for the 2nd expansion team. So why isn't it "bad" that a state the size of Ohio (lower population than the LA basin) gets a 2nd team?

The "problems" w/ SJ have to do w/ management issues, NOT w/ the market per se. Remember, I'm a Galaxy fan, not a quakes fan, so I enjoy seeing them suffer. But as a fan of the league and a residence of the "market", they DON'T reach out beyond SJ, AEG has far too much on its plate, and SJ is the ugly step child of the company.

Should the league move Boston due to one bad year? No. KC sucked up until this year. Should we move them? No, b/c management has shown what good marketing can do.

14. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Look at the numbers man, if all the Mexican soccer fans in this country or just a lot of them, become Chivas USA fans, then they are the most popular team in the league. Period. I know alot of people around here that like the Fire, but have said that if Chivas makes a team here, they would automatically switch alliances. I don't think that is being pompous, it is a real possibility.

15. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    So is the club really going to be called Chivas USA? Because that makes it sound like a farm team.

Plus only investing up to 15 million?...how much does the average investor lose a year in MLS?

Finally, Vergara better get on top of finding a stadium location.

16. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    You know, it wasn't too long ago that some of us were worried that investors in SEM were too cosy.

The last thing I'm worried about is someone with a drive to compete. You should be looking at that as a good thing.

17. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your points, but I don't see this as a drive to compete, but as a guy out to show how "superior" Mexican football is to American football.

See what I'm sayin?

18. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    The thing is, do you think he'd say anything different about Chivas de Guadalajara? Or Atleti (if he ever bought them?)

I guess I don't. Sh!t talking has a place in MLS.

19. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And not to mention, the fifth-largest economy in the world? Might as well take advantage of that.

And San Diego is either the second- or third-largest city in the State of California.

Would seem like the most logical place for the expansion team being mentioned here, when you also bear in mind the Tijuana market as well (as UCLACarlos already mentioned).

20. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    2 things I don't likie:

1. This guy's only planning to invest 15 million.

2. This guy talks like he's expanding Chivas - not buying into the league.

So Vergara doesn't have a runaway success -

'cause a team of Chivas Martinez, Ramiro Corrales and a bunch of Chivas understudies will not be, and there's nothing Mexicans hate more than watching their boys get beat by gringos

- and he walks. Does MLS get a new owner for Chivas USA? I don't think so. It's clearly Vergara's baby.

Also - this deal's going to open up opportunities for Americans to play in Mexico. What, with Chivas? I don't think so. Not for Danny Califf anyway.

21. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something tells me that there are a lot of Americanistas in this country that aren't going to fall all over themselves to root for the San Diego Goats.

Hell, I imagine that a lot of Chivas fans in this country aren't going to root for the San Diego Goats.

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh wow, an owner is running his mouth to sell tickets. As soon as you have the cops pick him, tell them to pick up Mark Cuban, Jerry Jones, George Steinbrenner, and every other major league owner in this country with the possible exceptions of Bill Bidwell, Mike Brown, and Donald Sterling.

23. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure that the happiest person in MLS about the Chivas investment is Sigi Schmid.

He now has someplace to dump Antonio Martinez and Ryan Suarez after this season.

24. dl

dl New Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Cambridge, MA
    Chivas de San Diego

I don't know if anybody has brought up this point, but what if 5 or 10 or 20 (yeah, I'm optomistic) years down the road, Vergara decides he wants to get out of MLS, is he going to take the Chivas brand with him? Are Chivas de Guad. and Chivas de SD really going to be linked up in such a way that if Vergara decides he doesn't want to be in MLS any more that they will have to re-brand the SD team? Can you imagine if somewhere down the road, after 20 years of supporting a team, they had to change their name just because the the former owner owned the rights to the name? Boy, this brings up some weird stuff.