It's official! Drew Carey part owner of Seattle Team (and Seattle rally notes)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by gregro, Nov 12, 2007.

1. hollowfish

hollowfish Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Indiana

Except for the Chicago Fire, you jack nut.. Nice fan you are.

2. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: It's official! Drew Carey part owner of Seattle Team

I have been thinking for a long time that college atmospheres are what MLS should be aiming for. The crowd and noise at big time NCAA football rials that of any in the world. My guess is that this "band" will be closer to the small drum-and-bugel core that the seahawks have.

A honest-to-goodness marching band would be a nice idea in my opinion, but I would rather see a smaller (say 25-30 member) drum a bugle core with about a dozen person drum line, and an assortment of trumpets, trombones, and tuba's. Very loud, VERY Intimidating. But for this to work, this band must must must work with the supporters group to have pre-planned songs and chants.

EDIT: I also think the idea of fan-ownership is absolutly brilliant. This franchise has really turned the corner in my perception in a very short amount of time.

3. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a scarf from the Sounders supporter group, the ECS, (Emerald City Supporters).

4. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: It's official! Drew Carey part owner of Seattle Team

with all due respect, and I mean all do respect...do you really believe that much research would have been put into MLS, that it would be a practical metaphor in NFL analysis? AP and ESPN can't get in right these days, much less '03. Why just today I heard Jeremy Schapp say Oregon and Kansas were undefeated. And us soccer fans get annoyed at playoff format columns.

5. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. scheck

scheck Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, is drew carey really going to be interviewed or was that just a rumour?

7. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This sort of begs the question, why the hell are you wearing a Celtic kit at your Sounders team event? Way to show off that Seattle pride today. :rolleyes:

8. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colin Mochrie would do play by play, with Ryan as the color guy. Brady would be the sideline reporter (since he always sings).

9. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Marching Band

If they can work with the Supporters, I imagine they can play a bit during play. After a goal, perhaps, or just to accompany some songs.

10. DoTheVillage

DoTheVillage New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Hats off to the John's @ the George and Dragon. (If you're a football fan, rolling through this town and want see a Premier League Spanish league or Intl match, The GnD is the place) Cheers!!!

Thanks Roth -Carey - Allen - Hanauer---and whoever else owns this new franchise. We'll bring up the quality of this league and represent it like we've always done.

If We're not called the Sounders it'll be a ********ing crime.

11. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then, on behalf of this league, um, thanks. The quality is just so poor now, sucks that we'll have to wait until '09 for that...:rolleyes:
    Sounders- there's a name that screams quality!:D

Welcome to MLS Seattle.

12. DoTheVillage

DoTheVillage New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Doing my part to drag out the haters

13. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear god put Drew Carey back on so I can stop watching this garbage.

EDIT: And my prayers are answered. Hah.

14. zzyzx

zzyzx Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Interview is about to happen. NOW they showed him waving a scarf :)

15. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, I reserve 'hate' for GWB, Osama, insurance companies, crooked police and child molesters. Only on BS can speaking truthfully be described as 'hating'.:cool:

16. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pbp on the interview please. the lady insist on watchin the hills. rep comin

17. zzyzx

zzyzx Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Very little about soccer so far. More about the Price is Right and the sorry state of Cleveland sports.

18. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing much so far they are talking price is right & cleveland stuff.

He pimped his idea about fan ownership, they didnt seem interested. They were like "now that you have talked about the soccer team".

Typical ESPN announcers pretty much.

EDIT:Mentioned the Seattle MLS franchise again. They laughed about the voting out idea again.

End of interview.

The interviewers were totally uninterested in soccer or anything related to it. No mention of the MLS Cup or anything.

19. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish he would just start talking about soccer. He seems a bit timid for whatever reason.

20. Smacking

Smacking New Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Providence, RI
    You're losing out to the Hills. I cry for you, my friend.

Moderate chatter with Drew. They just did a run through of poor Cleveland sports teams and the Browns season. Little mention of footie. Drew has mentioned the fans ownership and voting on the GM a couple of times, but the others in the booth seem to just laugh it off, like a joke.

21. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, I mean, give the guy a chance. Drew even tried relating the Cleveland sports stuff to the fans being owners and got nothing. Doubtful that they'll mention MLS Cup either at this rate.

22. Smacking

Smacking New Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Providence, RI
    really poor interview all around. Drew is usually a bit more assertive with his points, but clearly no one prepared even a signle question. Yeah they had the Cleveland slideshow of failure, but even that was poorly presented. :mad:

23. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cant believe I wasted my time for that. I have watched some poor interviews but the announcers just werent even interested in hearing what he had to say about MLS.

I also get the sense he wasnt that interested in talking about other sports either, he strikes me as someone who has gone over to soccer all the way (like me) and doesnt follow other sports as much anymore.

24. SFEarthquakes

SFEarthquakes Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Great to see Soccer and MLS on MNF but missed an opportunity to plug the MLS Cup on ABC on Sunday.

25. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    I was disappointed with the Carey interview. I was hoping he'd get assertive and stick a plug in for MLS Cup in there. The interview was poorly done. And now that I think of it, Drew Carey as part owner of a MLS franchise might be a dull idea. I mean The Price is Right host? Who takes that seriously?