It's official! Drew Carey part owner of Seattle Team (and Seattle rally notes)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by gregro, Nov 12, 2007.

1. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    Well, they mentioned that Drew Carey will be part owner of the Seattle franchise in MLS. They said he will be in the booth at sometime during the game. They didn't say that the interview would be at halftime, though.

2. rurik

rurik New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, let's see...Drew Carey wearing a Seattle MLS jersey on Letterman...Drew Carey wearing a Seattle MLS jersey on Leno...Drew Carey wearing a Seattle MLS jersey on Entertainment tonight...etc...etc...

Drew Carey talking about Seattle MLS jersey on Letterman...Drew Carey talking about Seattle MLS jersey on Leno...Drew Carey talking about Seattle MLS jersey on Entertainment tonight...etc...etc...

It's called publicity and it's not just good for Seattle, it's good for the sport in this country.

3. Mimir19

Mimir19 Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Last year, the Rhinos invited a marching band to play the national anthem. The high school band's seats just happened to be right next to the supporters section.. Lo and behold, the band joined in playing along with the songs and adding to the drums/percussion.. It was an enormous boost to the atomosphere..

4. zzyzx

zzyzx Member

Jul 26, 2007
    They gave Seattle MLS before the game even started because Carey raised the 12th man flag. ESPN talked about MLS because of that.

I can't believe the soccer lines are still visible.

5. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap. Had it on mute. They say anything note worthy or just more of the soccer will never succeed in the US etc.

6. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean ther's soccer lines on the field during an NFL game? How Bush League!:p

7. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago

Drew Carey could tatoo "MLS" "Seattle" "Soccer" "NFL Sucks" and "Tickets On Sale Now" to his forehead, they still wouldn't fill a quarter of Qwest...

8. zzyzx

zzyzx Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Just that Seattle was getting a new team and that's why he was in town.

ETA: Oh and I missed it but other people saw him waving his ECS scarf.

ETA: Ignore previous edit. I found my TiVo recording. No scarf being worn or waved.

9. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's have it right.

There are no marching bands at EPL games. The "marching bands" you are talking about are actually a 4-5 peice band that plays "God Save the Queen" and "Rule Britannica" at England games. They do not march ever, they do not perform at halftime..

I'm ok with this as long as only England-themed songs are played. :D

10. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I WILL be signing up for the team ownership thing...all I wanna know is how much the entry cost is.

11. ScottyB10

ScottyB10 Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Not only was part of your statement rediculous, 100% of it was. Saying NFL Sucks is not anybody's mission, not in the FO and definately not here. And how could you possibly say they won't fill a quarter of Quest field when they did that for some USL games with basically no publicity and no reason for people to come to the games.

It's dumb statements like this that make people think some people don't have a clue what they're talking about...

12. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    A quarter of Qwest would only be 17,000 fans. I think they can do that.

14. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    But they will actually interview him during this game so keep watching.

15. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hope they hurry up and do the interview. This game reminds me why I dont watch the NFL.

16. zzyzx

zzyzx Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Actually I'm going to keep watching because I'm a Seahawks fan but I'm looking forward to the interview too.

17. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    Well, my guess is that they won't interview him until the second half.

18. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago

Did I say NFL Sucks is the mission? I'm saying It doesn't matter what billboard Drew Carey poses for in a Seattle Jersey, or what talk show circuit he goes on, or if he names his dog "sounder"... You will still have 12,000 fans in a 70,000 seat stadium,

They filled a quarter of the stadium for "some" USL games? Kudos to Seattle soccer fans... I clearly underestimated their passion for the sport. :rolleyes:
    Also that lack of promotion and pub you mention, is pretty much the gold standard for MLS games as well, unless you subscribe to the Fox Soccer channel, or if your team is playing David Beckham... I think I remember New York filling more than a quarter of Giants stadium once or twice too, I guess the Red Bulls should have given Drew Carey a jersey to wear on Leno... GO SEATTLE!!!!!

19. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    How many people went to Toronto minor league games before they had an MLS team?

20. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, what an ignorant fool.

21. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. McLean FC

McLean FC Member

Dec 15, 2005
    McLean, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Wayne Brady and Ryan Stiles for color commentator and play-by-play!

23. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    What market research have you conducted to make this determination?

24. hollowfish

hollowfish Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Indiana
    Re: It's official! Drew Carey part owner of Seattle Team

Yeah cause it got so old during college football games.

Dude your smoking crack.. This is one of those things that could possibly take of like wild fire!! If their is anything close to professional soccer in Europe in regards to fans and passion in the US, its college sports and the game day atmposhere.

I am sure you went to community colege, which is why yoru busting on it.

25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprised no one has brought up that the Green Bay Packers are owned by the citizens and their fans. It's not the norm in the US but it's far from foreign. I love the idea. It's bring a sense of pride and brings a sense of family to the table. Seattle sounds like they are on the right path and they have a clear goals.

You have to admire Drew. He has stood up and really embraced the game. He truely loves it and wants to make a difference. He's not in it for celebrity status, he is in it because of the love. I respect that tremendously. Drew is what we need. Seattle will benefit from his vision. The first time I realized Drew really loved the game was during the US World Cup send-off series in '06 when the tour stopped in Nashville. Prior to the game I noticed a very unsuspecting guy in the yellow vest (the ones media wear on the touch line) taking pictures of both teams. He wasn't just snapping pictures. He looked like he was making a picture album by the angles he chose. Anyway, like I said, very unsuspecting with his hat and shorts on and was much smaller than he appeared on TV. Finally people recognized him and called his name. He came over and chatted for 15 minutes or so and talked about what he saw in the warm-up and how he thought the game against Morocco would pan out. He was spot on. From that moment I knew he was a real fan. Drew's going to make things happen and I'm proud he's officially part of MLS and Seattle.

BTW, I noticed in the pics posted he had a scarf on. Did it say Seattle Sounders or did it have another name?