It's official! Drew Carey part owner of Seattle Team (and Seattle rally notes)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by gregro, Nov 12, 2007.

1. bostonf4lyf

bostonf4lyf Member

Mar 18, 2006
    wmass
    Re: It's official! Drew Carey part owner of Seattle Team

Drew Carey= the Mark Cuban of MLS

2. RichardUK

RichardUK Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Fan ownership is a wonderful thing. Should be applauded and encouraged. Obviously, it's not always quite as practical as people would like, but it's got plenty of positives. Not sure how much power the fans group would have against anything MLS decided (as opposed to something Seattle decided).

Good news on Drew Carey too. Always nice for people to see a familiar face associated with the sport and he always seem so goddam enthusiastic about soccer, it's cute.

3. sprovi

sprovi New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Where I breathe
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Gregro,

I tried to send this PM style, but alas, it wouldn't let me. So, in regards to your message about the mix up I had with another supporter's group:

I so much appreciate your support and explanation. Congrats on the expansion...I have a new team to cheer for (and a new team to cheer against - you know who I'm talking about. For saftey's sake, I'll leave it at that).

God bless,
    Provi

4. RichardUK

RichardUK Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Mysterious!

Also, don't waste your money on Kasey Keller!

5. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    The Barcelona format is the Norm around the world...

I applaud Drew for getting the real high roller owners on board with the ides... drew is rich but he aint no high roller like the co owner of that little company called microsoft who is the lead figure head in the MLS seattle team

6. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why couldn't the band play along and lead the crowd in singing? Haven't you ever heard the English at full voice accompanied by brass instruments?

7. zzyzx

zzyzx Member

Jul 26, 2007
    If nothing else, it's something different and is worth a shot. If it doesn't work, it could always be discontinued.

8. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Niemi has looked good lately from what I've seen. But if/when Keller returns to fitness he is a viable option to win the starting spot if Niemi loses form (again). This is different from a situation where a player knows they don't have the confidence fo the coach and are unlikely to start even if the person ahead of them lets in some howlers so-to-speak.

Besides, I suspect Fulham are paying KK seven figures and Seattle would be extremely unlikely to pay him anywhere near that amount. I would love to see Keller playin MLS, and Seattle would be ideal of course, but it seems like a discussion for this time next year.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good point. Now, I only hate the marching band idea. Before you mentioned this, I loathed it.

I'll tell ya this, the sports media, guys like PTI and ATH and so forth, are going to EAT UP the notion that the fans can fire the chairman. I mean, imagine if an MLS club had done this in, say, 2003. Every time they talked about Matt Millen, this would have been referenced. Every time they talked about Dan Snyder being a crappy owner, they would have said, well, too bad he can't be fired like the chairman of the Seattle Sounders.

10. Mark Coker

Mark Coker Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Seattle,WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got to believe that the marching band remark was a joke. First, he's a comedian, and he's been to a few matches around the world and knows that wouldn't sit with the purists.

And if he wasn't joking, it's something for us members (to-be) can vote out.

11. kaged27

kaged27 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    the 'Boro
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

superdave, why would that matter? I'm not ashamed to support a team that's setting a trend in the US.

And you don't think Detroit fans would've liked to fire Millen?

12. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to own a small piece of my team. That just rocks.

I wonder though if it will truely be equity, or will it be a "membership agreement" that contractually entitles me to certain rights in exchange for money.

The former is infinitely better. The latter is how many new golf clubs work these days and members eventually find that they get screwed -- they have no real power. I look forward to the details.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wasn't being 100% serious. :D I don't like the idea, but I'm not freaking out about it, and I do think that if it's an attempt to create a good atmosphere in a very big park, I dislike it less.
    Um, that was my point.

14. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am pretty sure I have seen a marching band at England games. I would prefer bagpipes and drums, though.

15. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Marching band rocks.

Please more marching bands in MLS.

16. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great point. That's probably where Carey got the idea. He's probably thinking EPL-meets-college football atmosphere.

I like the fact that he's thinking different and unique to MLS. I also like how there's such a variety between different stadiums in MLS.

17. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Great, great news. I would say best expansion team ever, but Toronto will be hard to beat.

18. ScottyB10

ScottyB10 Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    So Mr. Carey is going to be interviewed at halftime of the MNF game on TV??? If so I guess I'm going to have to watch

19. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    With all the love Carey has shown U.S. Soccer over the years any neutral who's new favorite team isn't Seattle is out of his damn mind.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell I'm not even neutral and I'm being tempted to change allegiances!

(Of course, it helps that Seattle is my hometown ;) )

21. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will watch the halftime report, but not the game.;)

22. ScottyB10

ScottyB10 Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Major pub by Mike Trico (however you spell it)

23. westcoast ape

westcoast ape Member+

Nov 27, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Marching Band

I'm not sure how seriously to take the suggestion that Seattle will feature a marching band, but over all I think its a good idea. Certainly better than cheerleaders, or most of the half-time activities that usually see at MLS games.

Also, it reminds me of the Dutch NT supporters who play songs during the match. I'll never forget Netherlands v. Ireland in the '94 WC, when they were playing "The Awful Color Problem of the Orange and the Green".

24. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Marching Band

I'm fine with the band as long as they don't play during the game. Come to think ofit, I think it would sound pretty cool to have the band playing the MLS anthem while the players are walking out for the game.

25. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    I admit I haven't read the thread but this Drew Carey shit has been going on for about 6 months now, is there a reason anybody should give a shit that Drew Carey is part owner??? Is he going to plug the team before every "Come On Down" or something? How Mickey Mouse, "OMG, a celebrity likes Soccer?" Jim Belushi was at a Fire game, think he might invest?