It's Official: Christian Conservatives Flooding FCC With Complaints...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by TheSlipperyOne, Nov 15, 2004.

1. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confession: I am a Christian Conservative. Having said that, a couple of comments. Probably 50% plus of the people who complained about SPR to the network have never given a moment's thought to The Sermon on the Mount or paid any attention to Chapter 13 of First Corinthians or Jesus' prayer in John 17. They are too busy trying to enforce the 10 Commandments. They have little or no sense of what telling the "truth in love" is about, and they think homosexuality is worse than adultery, certainly worse than knocking the wifey around after pouring down a sixpack.

Second point: it is never permissible for a parent to point a child in the direction of any kind of medium and hope that what is being presented is acceptable fare. As a parent you are ultimately responsible for supervising your child's intake of information. Clearly you cannot follow your child around, but you can do research. If your child goes over to Jimmy's house after school, it's up to you to find out what they will be doing, in advance of your child's arrival.

It never would have occurred to me to tell ABC that it was inappropriate to air SPR. The network was very clear about the content being shown and anyone who saw it was well warned.

2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Dumba$$.

What indication do you get that the NFL had no idea that this could happen on MNF. Are you that stupid to believe that they were caught offguard by something filmed at least one week before the broadcast.

The FCC fines broadcasters for obscenities set by some fairy-tailed definition called "community standards."

I hate cross-promotion of TV shows, especially in the opening of MNF. It was stupid, and thats about it (Hey ABC-drop Hank Williams and just give me 60 seconds of the original MNF theme. That's all I need to get into a game even if its Miami vs SF), but what was obscene in that opening or immoral in that opening? As far as I know TO is single as is the character portrayed by the bimbo. It is two single people (Please spare me on that bible-thumping shite of pre-marital sex or adultry). I only saw "The Sure Thing" in a towel and her bare upper back. Once again nothing obscene.

I am an adult and I have seen the show DH's. I think I got the jist of what they were suggesting. I have also seen MNF openings before so I also know that this dumb skit will end with "Are you ready for some football."

As for a child, IMO they were either (1) thinking it was funny - a woman in a locker room who ooops - loses her towel (physical humor) - A child's mind is clean toward suggestions of nudity before being corrupted by a family member or peer won't get the suggestiveness of it. Or (2) Got it because they have been previously alerted to it by said family or peer. I don't buy this whole argument that this was the incident that "I had to explain what they were doing to my 4-year old daughter." If so, you are one of those ingoramous' who call the Bill O'Reilly show to tell him how much his books have helped you straighten out your life.

We can show a Marine justifiably shooting some dirtbag terrorist over and over on the six o' clock news, but we can't show Private Ryan because of "graphic war scenes," and f-bombs. Have you ever heard a Marine or soldier talk? They say F--- as much as a normal person says "um" when they are not doing toys for tots drives. Please get real.

Anyone else think N. Sheridan did a better job cover Owens than the Cowboy D?

3. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo

yes, that cesspool with lower crime rates, better healthcare and healtier citizens, better students, stronger economies, and, in places like scandinavia, little to no poverty.

yep. i always think of cesspools when i think of strong, productive societies.

take, for example, the fact that from 1997-1999, if you added up all the homicides of paris, rome and london, together, you are still about 25 murders shy of the total of washington DC, all by itself. so three huge european capitals have a combined number of homicides which still totals lower than the US capital...

so, im guessing that you would rather have people shooting each other than ********ing.

am i right?

talk about a messed up sense of values......

4. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad shots in Europe! Good shots in D.C.!

Jesus Loves~Nicky Saves!

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Negative rep for the first person to mention a topless Linda Cohn.

6. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a man of my word.

Unfortunately, I accidently gave you positive rep.

7. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    You did bring it up first........but I'm all out of rep at the moment.

8. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please Mike, tell me you made that ad.

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Apparently they didn't think it could because the report was out at 6:45 AM PST on Tuesday that the NFL office has called ABC to complain.

So it appears that the league office doesn't agree with you that it should be entirely up to the parents to make sure that prime time programming is appropriate.

11. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
  12. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that. It's too bad that I can't have that as my wallpaper at work. I'm sure my boss wouldn't find that funny.

13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I guess that's one of the benefits of having a Mac. I don't get spyware.

14. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Are you the Jesus police?

15. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Actually, I'm changing the word "spyware" to "Heinous F-ing Virus Infested Web Page".

Norton caught it about 30 minutes after I posted. A Trojan Horse named "Bloodhound".

I logged off and since my DSL is always connected, I had 47 windows open when I got back. Nortong picked it up in a scan I did immediately, but it damaged a couple of files that couldn't be fixed.

So, in conclusion, thanks for the help, Dante! What are you going to do for an encore? ;)

16. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bad idea!

17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member