It's halftime, Who'll be MVP?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by FAS, Jul 10, 2005.

1. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    We are now halfway through the season, who does everyone predict will be Quakes MVP at the end of the season?

My vote, right now goes to Dero, with challenges from Califf, Ero, Davis and Rico.

2. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My vote so far has to go to DeRo as well. Before the season, many folks were knocking him as a sub at best - intimating that he lacked the stamina for 90 minutes and the judgment to be a good team player. He has kicked those aspersions in the teeth quite thoroughly, and has become to me the MVP for the Quakes.

I would also add Cerritos to FAS' list "nod" list, with the caveat that he has been rather hot-and-cold.

However, if things turn out the way we hope, Colin McCarthy and company may turn out to be the MVPs for this season!

3. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I tried to edit to add them but I don't think you can edit a poll.

4. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    On other clubs or in different seasons, this would be a valid and interesting poll. But it doesn't work now. This is the most team team I have ever seen in MLS. When you have a star player, it usually means taking him out reduces the overall ability of the team. But we just saw San Jose minus just about ever star - Ching, DeRosario, Davis, Califf, Dayak - and still come out on top away from home after going down a goal. And they did it with style and finesse and beauty.

5. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    This is ture, I was going to add kinnear too for this very reason, but I figured when they do give out the award it will be to a player.

6. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    calliff is making a strong case, and I never thought I would say that. god bless 'em.

darkhorse .... Rico. if he keeps playing like he's been playing, you never know. the kid's turned it on.

7. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Can't believe no one has mentioned Onstad yet ... I'll give him the nod.

8. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    At this point I'd say either Cerritos or DeRo. Cerritos has played every game I think, so we don't know what would happen without him. But he's got, what, 5 goals and 6 assists, which I think is tied for the team lead in goals and tied for 2nd (with DeRo) in assists. He could have finished better so far this season and had a few more goals, but in general I think he's been really critical to the offense, particularly in linking with the midfield.

9. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Definitely agreed. It's so hard choosing from these guys. It seems like everyone's significantly contributed one way or another.

10. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  11. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted for Davis... it was a tough choice because there are a handful that are all making their case

12. Al Salinas

Al Salinas New Member

Apr 11, 2000
    fremont
    Chung is a dream player for any coach, not flushy but effective, four Chungs in the midfield watch-out world!

13. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went with De Ro and it wasn't even close. I'm surprised however that Rico has no votes so far--he is really undervalued, I think.

14. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can certainly make a case for several players, but I voted for Cerritos. The way he played yesterday in Columbus--hustling all over the place--was typical of the way he's been playing so far...

15. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    Yep!

The way these guys have come together amazes me....on paper this should have been a horrible season.

16. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What everyone else said...

Defensive players and keepers need to be very extraordinary to warrant MVP honours.

Most of the time it's the offensive players who get all the glory, and right now it would have to be a tossup between Davis and DeRosario, especially since they have picked up the slack up front. I'd take Brad Davis any day, but DeRo had to "learn" a new position for the Quakes (MF) and become the attacking cog up front. With the results that he's given, that would warrant the MVP award.

It's still halfway through the season, and these players have picked up for each other so if you had to split the award among everyone they'd get the accolade.

But for now, give it to Pwamme!

17. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Yes, I'm very pleasantly surprised at how well they have done, even withh all the injuries. The Quakes have only lost 3 times, and all three losses were on the road by 1 goal against decent teams, Chicago, KC and LA (well they've been decent at home :eek: )

There's no real stand out on the team, just a great overall team effort week after week and that seems to be reflected in this poll.

18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Maybe that's the most wonderful thing about the Quakes this year - they're a team in every sense of the word. I get the idea watching them from this bunch of guys that there is a lot of mutual respect and friendship. The Quakes have no superstars - nobody is head and shoulders above the rest. From Dominic on down, one gets the idea that everybody is pulling in the same direction. This is so refreshing when contrasted to some other sports (football, basketball) and some other teams (Galaxy, Rapids) which give the impression of a few massive egos with a supporting cast.

19. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember watching a game.. I think it was Chicago v. someone else and it was talking about Chicago had a problem because they had a few guys that scored a few goals, but not one designated "goal scorer"

I'm sure you guys noticed we dont have anyone on the Scoring Leaders list.. but guess what.. it doesn't seem to be bothering us :D

20. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Since they rank by goals scored (and not points, including assists), there aren't any Quakes there currently (lowest goals scored there is currently 6). But Cerritos has 5 goals, 6 assists. If they were ranking by points, not goals scored, I think Cerritos would be about tied for 6th in the league. But yeah, the Quakes this year are definitely a more "distributed" team in terms of goal scoring. And that's probably a good thing.

21. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    As of right now, I have to give it to Eddie. He stepped up, through injury time and time again to save us on te back-line. He (with the help of Wade) has led that defense to what it is now. I think that without him on the field....we would be in much much worser (is that even a word?!?) shape.

You realize, though.........this poll will completely jinx the winner for the rest of the season. I agree with Dero being at the top, though he wasn/t my first choice........he follows at a close second.........but from here on out, he is going to either really suck, or get injured......all because of this poll.........so sad. :confused:

22. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Had to go with Califf. As a defender in a previous lifetime, I'm probably biased here. But the primary reason is because the team improved dramatically when he came on the field. The defense made a huge leap forward. No other player this season has had that impact, except maybe Ching pre-injury.

Good poll. I really had to think about this one.

23. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    At this point, I'd have to give it to DeRo. We lost so many players and had to fill those spots. The defense was expected to be the only area that would be OK because it didn't get as decimated by the departures (though losing Goos was painful.) We had Ching for scoring and acquired Ale and Cerritos to fill up front but the question remained "who would drive the attack with nameless gone?"

Enter DeRo, in a role few of us thought he fit and he has done marvelously.

I give a great deal of credit to Davis for the huge contribution he has made and to Califf for surprisingly settling our unsettled defense but I see DeRo as a changed player out there. He's playing with his head up, keeps the energy high all the time and is all over the field in his AMid role. I didn't expect the "experiment" with him at AM to evolve into this! :D

24. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    This is a really tough one....I narrowed it down to DeRosario, Cerritos, and Califf as my final three. I went with Dwayne, based on some of the reasons others have posted - he has learned a new position and really filled a hole that we had, perhaps playing out of his more natural comfort zone. He also plays very solid defense and plays 90 minutes a match.

Cerritos is a close second - tied for first on the team with 5 goals, tied for second with 6 assists, filling in for Davis taking corner kicks recently, and playing at forward alongside Moreno where neither of them has the height or size to be a target forward but giving it his all and not giving into the much bigger defenders. He had one or two bad games as far as finishing (could easily have 2 or 3 more goals), but he has been in the mix offensively in virtually every game and has helped to create chances.

Califf might have received my vote if he had gotten into the starting lineup and played more games. For the games he has played, I think he probably has been the most valuable player. He really helped to solidify the defense, and he has clearly helped Eddie to be better.

25. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was a tough call. Like LGF I was torn between Cerritos, DeRo, and Califf. I voted for DeRo, because he plays both offense and defense. DeRo has really dominated the center of the pitch in many games this season. And he helps bring out the best in the other players.

Califf doesn't make a lot of great plays, but his positioning is good, he plays within his limitations, but above all, he's become our organizer in the back. I'm stunned, but I certainly think he's been terrific for us. We'll need him in DC.

Cerritos has been great on offense. Yes, he's missed a couple of shots that he should have burried, but he's been a tireless worker, a great example to his teammates, and lately he's been driving our offense. I'm impressed.

And as others have said, this could well be a team without an MVP. These guys all work hard for each other. Gray has been great. Barrett has finally found his stride. Davis has been excellent, Mullan has been great, Chung in contributing. Really, it's been a whole team effort.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark