It's Grrrrrrrrreat to be Back!

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Cantona's Eyebrow, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    Hey guys, how's life across the pond?!?!

So great to be back and in amongst it! Let's be havin' you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you've probably all been wondering what I've been up to. Well, here goes...

Had a very bad time in my personal life during lockdown. Things haven't gone well at all. Feeling pretty down to be honest. COVID. Relationships. Death. Financial. JUst a really shitty time. Sorry for unloading. It's been bad. Tragic. Always happy to talk if anyone needs to.

Then the football came back.

The old redeemer.

What can I say, it just all started to make sense again. Fall into place. I'd found flow and passion and energy and purpose and commitment and fellowship and community... and ... and... and and... :ROFLMAO:

Oh bless my days. It's back.

Football wise, I've mainly been involved in a little 1 to 1 work and other clubs hiring me for some consultancy work/coach education. Love it! Eyebrows Message is spreading faster than that damn virus. Even though my own club hasn't started back it's looking good.

So, back and loving it.

Was asked to take a guest session at a prominent boys club in the region last week. They wanted someone in to lead their pre-season and were obviously looking for the best :) Well, they got that and some! Boys were over the moon when they saw me come into the dressing room. One kid in particular!

This kid, lets call him Ralph, has been trying to impress for a loooooong time. Well to be fair it's not really the kids fault. The parents are absolute mutants. You know the types. Sending e-mails asking to look at their little Ronaldo, cause "he's the best in the team by a mile." I'll be the judge of that, sweet cheeks. Accosting me at playing fields, car parks, even once at MacDonalds. Always trying to push their wee superstar forward. Trying to cheat the system. Pretty sickening to be honest.

Anyway, this kid, Ralph, his face lights up like a firecracker on the 4th of July when he sees me walk into the changing room fully kitted out in my club's colours. All Adidas gear. Smart. There's gasps around the room as I walk in. I looked them up and down, said "get kitted-up and out on the pitch in 5", and walked out. That was it. I could hear them falling over themselves to get organised and out onto the pitch. Sweet as.

Anyway, we get out there and this group of sixteen u10s are string up at me. All with a ball at their feet. Eager to impress. Ralph's parents are over at the touchline constantly trying to catch my eye. Trying to curry favour with coach. Big mistake. Massive.

"Get rid of the balls," I say to the players. They all look back confused. "Get on the line for suicides... now."

"But coach always has us starting with ball work, " says Ralph.

This is pre-season, I tell him. They've not earned the right to play with a ball yet. :sneaky:

Fifteen minutes in and Ralph, the so-called superstar is ready to hurl. He can't keep up and he's struggling to keep his dinner down ;) The parents are looking over all anxious, telling him to keep going and keep working hard. SO, quick water break and then we hit the hill. A steep grass hill that winds it's way up to a forested area on one side of the pitch. I'm pushing them hard. Harder than they've ever been pushed before. And to be fair a couple of them impress with their commitment. However, most of them are buckling. They want to impress, but they're physical and mentally demolished. Now we're starting to see who wants it.

Last ten minutes of the session we do a little 1v1 stuff with ALOT of hidden fitness. Just to see if anyone could play. They've all been put through the wringer and look buckled. I tell them I'll see them next week and to go and get changed. We'll go through some speed and agility stuff in a couple of days. Then push them on the hill even harder.

Anyway, I've got a herd of these parents craning their necks over trying to catch my eye as I tidy up a few cones. Ralph's parents go one step further (as usual) and walk on to my pitch. Big no no, for me.

"Em excuse me." the father says.

I just ignore him and carry on packing away.

"Bit hard on the boys tonight," he then says.

Desperation was reeking off him, trying to engage me in conversation, so I walked off with a curt, "excuse me."

While I'm in the carpark, I see Ralph and one of the other players about to get into Ralph's parents car. The parents are fawning over Ralph and telling him he's the best thing since sliced bread while the other boy just stands there awkwardly. So, I start striding over to them smiling my biggest shit eating grin. The parents see me coming over and look surprised. Then they start to smile as they realise I'm coming over to talk to them. The mum's almost wetting her knickers with excitement.

"I was really impressed with your commitment tonight, young man," I say.

The dad's eyes are wet and glazed like he's having some kind of religious experience.

"I'd like you to come down and train with us when we start up again, " I say, "give the trialist paper work to your parents to sign and email back to me please!" I then hand the paper work to Ralph's friend.

You should have seen Ralph's dad's face drop. Absolutely priceless. :laugh:

"Oh...... well done.... er Scott," says Ralph's mum. Totally crest fallen and insincere in her congratulations to her boy's friend. The father can't even say anything. And Ralph just looks confused. Doesn't look the sharpest kid at the best of times.

At that, I just turn and leave. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The lad we're bringing down, Scott, looked a decent prospect and had a bit of heart. Doubt he'll make the cut, but it was worth it just to see the look on those mutants faces ;)

Anyway, great to be back doing what we all love. Kids got a big kick out of me being down and hopefully I'll be back at my own club soon. Good times :thumbsup: Hope you are all well and have some good news stories too about starting back! Love to hear them :D