It's finally over!

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by DJAnimosity, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

WAHOOOOOOOO!!!

2. Pangloss

Pangloss New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    NYC
    I can't picture myself going back to the Garden. As a previous poster said I have learned to live without hockey. I've found better things to do with my weekday nights. Maybe after a few seasons I can get back into it but I went from being obsessive about hockey to just plain not caring over the past year. Thank you players and owners for ruining a great sport.

3. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone actually like the shootout idea? Are ties that evil? I could live with them dumping regular season OT all together honestly. Save OT for the playoffs, make it that much more special.Most importantly, it gets rid of the stupid "overtime loss".

4. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Ergh. That was ME! I was beginnig to think that I was the ONLY one.
    Hey, to each their own. I will NOT go to MCI Center to see the Caps this season. new rules changes or not, I will NOT watch NHL hockey on the tizzube (should be easier with NO ESPN). I will NOT read about it in the paper.
    I AM BOYCOTTING FOR AT LEAST THIS SEASON. MAYBE LONGER, OK JR? YOU GOT WHAT YOU ASKED FOR AND WHAT THE OWNERS WHO CREATED THIS MESS DESERVE...

5. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    carry grudges much?

6. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Carrying grudges is one of my "strongest" traits. If there was a Hall of Fame for grudgecarriers, I would have my own special wing, my very own special section. Just like the Great One has at the Hockey HOF in TO. I would have been inducted as soon as I met the eligiblity requirements. Hell, they probably would have waived any sort so specified required time rules, just for me.

I'm still pissed off at some kid who punked me for my jello when I was in first grade, 31 years ago. If any of you see Marvin Phelps, please tell him that I'm going to kick his SS if I ever get my hands on him.

Answer your question, Bro.? :D

7. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They want to get rid of the OTL point and make it 2-1-0 WTL.

3-on-3 and the shootout??? WTF are they thinking?

Of course, no one on a soccer website will have much of a problem with draws...

8. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    I think that if they can increase scoring, there would be no need for the shootout. But something on the order of 28% of games in 2003-04 ended in ties. That is unacceptable. And if this can generate excitement, I can live with it.

9. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear the NHL will instruct the refs to clamp down on obstruction.

That's a good thing as I feel it's toooo easy to negate skill in hockey.

10. bergkamp10

bergkamp10 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    [​IMG]

Let's not disappoint! Go Leafs Go!

11. Bodmanza

Bodmanza New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Edmonton, Canada
    You forget that they have been told multiple times already to "clamp down" and it has worked; for the first month.
    Once it gets crunch time and playoffs they wouldn't call an obstruction to save their life because they don't want to affect the outcome of the game.

12. DJAnimosity

DJAnimosity Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are some very important upcoming dates:

Saturday, July 23
    • Period for initiating compliance buyouts begins
    • Period to negotiate and sign 2003 draft picks begins
    • Period to extend qualifying offers begins
    • Period to negotiate with own club's restricted and unrestricted free agents begins

Thursday, July 28
    • Deadline to exercise club and player options for the 2005-06 season
    • Deadline to sign 2003 draft picks (if not signed, 2003 draftees will re-enter the 2005 draft)
    • Deadline to make required bona fide offers to 2004 draft picks

Friday, July 29
    • Deadline for initiating compliance buyouts

Saturday, July 30
    • Entry draft

Sunday, July 31
    • Deadline to extend qualifying offers

Monday, Aug. 1
    • Free-agent signing period begins

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2109696

13. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  14. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Wow... the New Jersey Devils staff not happy about the proposed rule changes :eek: ;) I mean what a surprise... they more than any other organization are responsible for the crap hockey we've had to watch the past 10 years...

15. DJAnimosity

DJAnimosity Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe Robinson would say something like that. He's got to have a pretty small brain if he can't figure out the rule changes; they're not ground-breaking.

16. Bodmanza

Bodmanza New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Edmonton, Canada
    They are if you play a trap :p

17. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Its like "Groundhog Day"

Meet the new NHL...same as the old NHL. :rolleyes:

I'm liking the new rules more every day. :D

18. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    Gotta say the new contract puts a lot of pressure on coaches, GMs and team owners. No more, well .500 is the best we can do because Detroit/New York/Toronto priced us out of the market for the good players. No more justifcation for trading Star Quality for 3 prospects. Your team is crap? Well it ain't Detroits fault any more.

Curious, for those of you living in NHL cities: is a cap and 24% wage rollback resulting in lower ticket prices?

Other than smaller pads and tag up icing, there are not any rules worth changing. Maybe going to an Olympic size surface, but that would mean saying goodbye to some pricey seats. The gimicky overtime is especially stupid.

19. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    From the CBC:

[​IMG]

20. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 rules will fix everything I think:
    1. Smaller goalie pads
    2. Tag up icing
    3. Call icing against defending team on power plays (more goals that way)
    4. Call obstruction

Try that for a start and see what happens.

21. Bodmanza

Bodmanza New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Edmonton, Canada
    No there will not be lower ticket prices. Put it this way, if we lower ticket prices, that lowers team revenue. So then the budget of our team goes down and we are playing at a disadvantage again. No point, especially since we (Edmonton Oilers) were at 98% capacity when our team blew. But now everyone is getting ridiculously excited, so why on earth would you charge less when its almost guaranteed to sell out for at least the first third of the season?

22. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor move by the NHL. Get it on somewhere, like ESPNews, or one of the NBC cable channels. So now if the Rangers get the #1 pick, everyone will assume it was rigged, which would be excellent PR for a league trying to rebuild credibility.

23. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Several TV outlets wanted to show it live.

It's not like they can't find someone; they're turning them away.

24. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    The Stars have dropped ticket prices an average of 26%, with the cheapest ticket in the house now being $10 (it was $20).

Dallas is a good hockey market, but they have some issues to address this summer.

Put it this way: if they don't resign Modano, the team will do more damage to itself than a 5 year lock out every could.