It's Expected I'm Gone - Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Darth Norteño, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Sure guy.

We approached him this year, eh? Last year we did too, eh?

Stop making up nonsense.

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i agree with wenger taking bullets, i have a sneaky feeling our board is more greedy than it makes out

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    pre mourinho he was courted multiple times

stop crying

4. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have his contract history for Arsenal?

5. fari

fari Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Denver,CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    DC i am not trying to wind you up. please don't take this the wrong way but exactly how do you know that for a fact?

6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He was also contacted by PSG . They would love to have him in Paris.

7. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    I'm not saying the man isn't wanted, I'm saying what he said was false.

You never stop so why should anybody else? Hell you're nonstop.

Besides, I said pages ago that we wanted him instead of Pellegrini. The facts are after we got rid of Pellegrini we wanted Mourinho and only Mourinho. We have not be linked with Wenger and we don't want him.

8. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks Imposter....Age is just a number anyway :)

9. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Thats because you knew AW would turn you guys down

10. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets pretend for a second that the "board-Wenger conflict over wage budget" story is real. There is no way this club could offer 150k/week salaries and maintain the "offer young talent high wages/relatively flat salary across the squad" policy the club has had for the past few years. If this story is true then I'd probably back the board's plan unless the Wenger plan included a lower cap on youth/reserve salaries otherwise the club will blow past the accepted best practice ratio of wages to turnover. The only way you could stay at a reasonable level with those high end top salaries without just shipping young talent out of the club would be to accept a short period (maybe 2-3 seasons) of being out of balance on the wage/turnover issue with incoming young players offered a lower wage than the most recent top young signings. I don't see how you do that and keep the squad happy or attract new top young talent since the financially doped clubs we're competing with have or are moving to a bloated wage structure throughout their squad not just for the first team.

Then there is the issue that clubs like Citeh could easily just keep upping their wages (assuming FFP is going to be as toothless as many expect) until Arsenal simply can't come close to matching them. People need to remember that the amounts spent on Citeh's squad seem large in the football world but are not even close to a fraction of a dent in the wealth of their owners. If your family is worth a trillion (which seems to be the current estimate) then dropping 300million on football transfers is exactly as meaningful as spending 300 pounds is to a millionaire.

11. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    The entire family isn't on board with the Citeh football situation. just an fyi

12. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if we make the (wrong) assumption that they can only draw on the personal wealth of Mansour and we take the lowest reasonable estimate of his worth than blowing 300million on transfers is like a millionaire spending a little over 17 thousand pounds. Hardly a significant amount by either measure.

13. GetEmGooners

GetEmGooners New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    B-MORE/JMU
    SOCCERNET CONFIRMS MATA TO CHELSEA

oh well....

14. SkoalFyfan

SkoalFyfan Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Estonia
  15. SkoalFyfan

SkoalFyfan Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Estonia
    Sadly I'm extremely worried we are about to have a season similar to what Liverpool had two seasons ago under Hodgson :(

16. ZIAD

ZIAD Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Guys, I've been convinced its not Arsene that is the problem, its the board. To be honest I really think they are way too conservative and greedy for the modern game. They just want to hoard cash and spend as little as possible on the team. Lets be honest here, who has been revolutionary for the club? Arsene Wenger. Who has brought modern football to the premier League and Arsenal? Arsene Wenger. Who has implemented modern diet schedule which Alex Ferguson himself took the piss out of it and then started to implement the same methods? Arsene Wenger? Who was the first to really rely on Foreign players in the premier League? Arsene Wenger. So really if anyone that would adapt to the new image of the modern game and also change with the times, it would be Arsene Wenger. The board sadly are a bunch of old grumpy men with a secret agenda. They are lucky to have someone like Arsene to shield them from the abuse. Look at the way they reacted to Korenke coming on? "We don't need his type" they said. Sorry but that strikes me as a very closed minded person talking. I really don't think they are the right board for the club, especially hill-wood who with all due respect is a grumpy old man that is detached away from the reality of todays modern game.

Lets hope Koreonke will change things. Lets hope he'll inject some aggression in the board.. We need a fierce leader in the board room, not a bunch of passive old grumpy men hiding behind the Wenger shield.

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ok, cool....now shut up

18. ZIAD

ZIAD Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Lets not compare Hodgson and Wenger. Hodgson= shit manager. Wenger= revolutionary man. Hodgson= lucky to have managed Liverpool as he's good for mid table clubs at best. Wenger= Arsenal are lucky to have a loyal and intelligent manager.

19. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    thanks for the recognition.
    been harping on this for too long now.
    great article.

20. ilbambino

ilbambino Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Aftathot

Aftathot New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We are in dire need of a new recruit. I will be happy if the only news on Monday is that someone is caught having ice cream with Arsene.

22. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    We agree on this. The board are all about the Benjamins

23. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I can't believe Mata goes to Chelsea. @#$@

24. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If this is true then PHW is a liar, and has been lying to us for a while now. It's even more frustrating if the board is behind this than if Arsene is. But it's also reassuring because it means Arsene hasn't gone crazy; he sees as well as any of us that this squad is in desperate need of additions.

25. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Umm, duh? We've been lied to for years.

I think the wages thing is looking more and more plausible now. If we'd bumped the wage ceiling to 150k, would we be looking at losing Nasri? And it's not like it would make a huge difference - we only have three players (and more like two) who would deserve those kinds of wages: Nasri, Van Persie, and maybe Vermaelen.