It's Expected I'm Gone - Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Darth Norteño, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He is totally wrong on Kos. He did not mention Sagna as a player " of genuine stature" when Sagna is by far the best right back in the EPL.

2. antiwhinger

antiwhinger Member

Nov 1, 2008
    cambridge
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we need a striker. when rvp isn't crazy good, we don't score.

3. HarveyDent

HarveyDent Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they're not located in North London where you strolled around getting harassed while wearing your faded JVC shirt?

4. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I just realized that I can't fit into my JVC shirt. anymore. :( Ah, the horrors of age and lapse of fitness.

Seriously, though, who is the retard that is pining for Denilson? It's not THAT bad! It can never get that bad! Do we really need lazy no-good-for-nothings who deliver hospital balls, fail to track back, and haplessly "defend" by tripping attackers by sticking their leg out in very dangerous areas?

5. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cashflow has an "interesting" take on most things Arsenal.

6. ilbambino

ilbambino Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is 100 percent spot on. Any fan in here who thinks he is wrong; you clearly are in denial or just an imbecile. I do not care about anything we won in the past. It's 2011 and football is a buying game.

7. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    except, if nasri is being promised 190 with big bonus from the fact that there won't be a transfer fee, why would he sign for 165?

8. biggonez

biggonez BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Football is not a buying game. It seems that winning has become about buying. But if that is true I don't want to win. I'd be much happier in fourth with talent and hard work than first with a squad of mercenaries.

9. ChapacoSoccer

ChapacoSoccer Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    A thought that has occurred to me, is that with the World economy crashing around our ears, there are going to be a lot more bargains in January or next summer then right now. If Wenger can just buy enough to keep in striking range of a CL spot, then that money could buy a lot more quality in the future.

10. ZIAD

ZIAD Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Forget about the world economy, the football industry has yet to be really hit by the credit crunch. Football teams are in worse shapes than banks and revenues for the past few years have been stagnating. So I would expect that we will see the effects of the credit crunch on teams soon enough.

11. antiwhinger

antiwhinger Member

Nov 1, 2008
    cambridge
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol!

it's more like you who is the imbecile. you're not even an arsenal fan. aren't you the wanker who said he was ditching arsenal and looking for a new club to support?

what's keeping you? some new club like spurs needs your wonderful, heartfelt, loving support.

why are you still here?

12. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    A few papers are suggesting that we are seriously looking at a Kaka loan deal as ''key members of the board have put pressure on Wenger to make a marquee signing''.

With no fee involved his wages would be managable and being a short term deal he wouldnt hurt Ramsey (and to a small extent Chamberlain) long term and would also take some pressure off him while he finds his level.

For this reason and the fact that he would add genuine quality when fit, I would be all for a loan deal.

13. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I know Kaka isn't what he once was, or even near it, but if he joined Arsenal, I would cream myself.

14. antiwhinger

antiwhinger Member

Nov 1, 2008
    cambridge
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the football market was massively hit in 2008-09. chelsea didn't buy anyone. the russian stock market fell 80%. Dubai almost went bankrupt. arsenal was at great risk because of a property gamble gone horribly wrong, and had no money to spend.

however that lasted like only 6 months; commodities recovered as did equity markets. if there is another recession, then this time it will hit europe hardest, and you will find that the madrids and barcas under considerable pressure because spanish banks will be under extreme pressure. whether commodities get hit, and thus chelsea can't spend nor can city, depends a lot on whether asia slows. inflation is becoming a real issue in china, and if china and europe slow down then commodities will fall -- and so will abramovich's and the mansur's fortunes.

i think the board knows this and would like to hoard cash. but the incessant demands of plastic fans to splash the cash instead of being prudent and play a waiting strategy may prove to be too much.

15. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been thinking this could be a strategy. Wait until clubs like Chelsea and Citeh are hamstrung by the financial fair play rules, and then make moves without the same level of competition. But honestly, it just sounds like an excuse.

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Have you seen him play in the last 14 months? :confused:

17. darknezx

darknezx Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I see some suggesting for Arsenal to just "wait" till the recession hits in to buy more players. My question is, will it really change the board's conservative streak? In a recession, there'll be less merchandise sales, impact on ticket sales etc. Everyone will worry about their bread and butter more than sports. Then, the board will be talking about keeping cash and not spending.

Regardless of recession or boom, Arsenal will not spend.

18. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Riccardo Montolivo is in a similar contract situation to Nasri. Would he be worth a punt as Samir's replacement? He is heavily linked with AC Milan and could be bought for as little as £10m

19. Dooglas

Dooglas Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Waiting for financial fair play would be okay. It doesn't change that this window has been handled horribly. I hope our young guns come through, but to ask a u-23 team to win the biggest title in club football is a bit of a stretch.

I'll withhold my thoughts on our defense until someone gets injured. Right now they seem very gelled though.

Unsurprisingly putting the creative onus on Ramsey seems short sighted.

I hope the Liverpool loss wakes them up. The team isn't good enough yet

20. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    :eek:

21. Dooglas

Dooglas Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Heh ;)

It was meant as a joke but I forgot the smiley.

22. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "it's impossible to replace Fabregas by another Fabregas. We'll replace him by what we have: Wilshere, Ramsey, maybe Chamberlain"

yup...

23. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone is asking this team (as presently constructed) to win any titles (of any kind). I personally would be happy if "this" team gets a Europa League spot next year. Well not "happy", more satisfied (lived up to potential). Even that might be a stretch.

24. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Have you read my original post that you quoted?

25. Tucson Gooner

Tucson Gooner Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm with you about readjusting our usual expectations this year, but this team will make Europe next year as long as we have enough players to do so. If we move forward with no depth, experience, or even cover for our first team than you might be right, but I think some new blood will be coming our way soon.

Of course, I reserve the right to have a meltdown post if the transfer deadline passes and we remain as is. :)