It's Expected I'm Gone - Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Darth Norteño, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    By all accounts Arsenal could've landed him earlier for less money, when they were the only team seriously interested. Thus, this little episode, should it come to pass, truly encapsulates the sad irony of this silly season. Regardless of Arsenal's part in this, I'm thoroughly disgusted that City and Chelsea can overbid in an effort to add strength upon strength, simply because they're playing with unlimited access to house money. There are no lower sports fans on earth right now than fans of those clubs who don't understand this.

2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Interesting choice of words, words I'm not sure I agree with. He's done a remarkable job given the circumstances, arguably the best possible. He truly needs to work on his PR, though, so that we as fans aren't left questioning him so. He's claimed a need that he hasn't addressed and he hasn't properly handled our fears over the earnest lack of depth right now. Not the best way to keep the spirits of the fan base you're asking to trust you.

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    hulk>>>

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    cashflow fail as usual

jagielka is a good defender, but i like samba more

baines would be a nice left back, but i kind of like the idea of a cb there a la barca

verm..jag/samba...kos........sagna

nice back 4

5. DeltaSig

DeltaSig Member

Mar 7, 2007
    DENVER
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baines would be such a sick pick-up best LB in the EPL and would shred with arsenal but thats been said about a dozen players...

6. railhawksfan

railhawksfan Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Which once again reinforces my point that we cannot really compete with the likes of City, Chelsea, PSG, Malaga (money) or United, Barca, Real (prestige). Meanwhile, Twitchy is quietly going about signing Ade (loan) and Lass (6 million).

7. KirbyNYC

KirbyNYC Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC
    I remember we were getting flogged for not having enough English players on the squad. Imagine signing Baines, Cahill, and Parker? Stuff that in your pipe and smoke it doubters!

8. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can't compete with Malaga?

9. mwojt21

mwojt21 Member

May 22, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've still yet to see this in any credible context other than gossip rumor rags and message boards.

10. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    Sheikh money.

11. KirbyNYC

KirbyNYC Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC
    Thats my cue!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcuAw77J8_Y&ob=av3e"]Busta Rhymes - Arab Money - YouTube[/ame]

12. SkoalFyfan

SkoalFyfan Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Estonia
    ....and the sad part is we have an owner whose stake is ~30% and whose in the top 3 of richest russian oil billionaires AND is more than willing to splash the cash on improvement, but the Arsenal board is too stubborn to let him in the door.

13. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Money doesn't equal quality.

14. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Maybe not immediately but Man City turned the corner on signing quality players with their money pretty damn quick.

15. cashflow

cashflow Member

May 31, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wonder if Joel Campbell will join the squad or will we loan him out, given the lack of numbers in our squad at the moment would like to see him be a part of it, especially since Vela left.

16. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    but he was talking money... :confused:

17. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    He needs a work permit. I thought I read he had an Irish grandfather, which should do the trick.

18. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think that Irish grandfather stuff is bunk, lol

19. gogunners14

gogunners14 Member+

Dec 6, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Not always, no. But people (read: professional athletes) are inherently driven by money and since the Abramoviches and Sheikh Mansours of the world have shown up, it is increasingly difficult to land top quality, proven (read: not 17 years old) players without paying a good deal of money. It's just the nature of club football this day in age.

I hate Man City. With a passion. But you can't look at their starting 11 (and their bench for that matter) and not drool over the quality of talent they have. Money bought that. Along with the belief that ambition and trophies were behind it. And once/if they gel as a unit, they'll be scary as hell. But will the club be bankrupt when the Sheikh decides he's tired of his new, shiny toy? god I hope so.

20. VAComet85

VAComet85 Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A friend of mine and I were talking about Everton's financial troubles and Moyes frustration this morning and he half-jokingly suggested Arsenal fire Wenger, hire Moyes and buy Baines, Cahill, Fellaini and Beckford. I laughed it off for about a second and then kinda saw a bit of logic. Is that wrong?:confused: Its so crazy it just might work! jk hehe

21. wwnyc

wwnyc Member

Sep 5, 2004
  22. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    One thing I will say is that if we didn't have Wenger and his system right now we would be in big trouble with the players we have.

23. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Actually, I think you're right- looked it up and his grandfather would have to have been born before 1922 to get a work permit. If he's 19, his grandfather would have to almost 90 years old, which is unlikely.

24. hughmanatee

hughmanatee Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Montréal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Don't forget Jenkinson! Future England RB!

25. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you mean current Finland Right Back?