It's almost 2019,... and lo, the playoffs remain flawed; the defense of the regular ssn continues...

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Unak78, Oct 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NFL is also the only other American pro league with a one-game final.

In fact MLS Cup is the only single-game final I can think of in the world where on team is guaranteed to have home field advantage. (I'm sure somebody can find something like the Icelandic FA Cup that I'm not aware of but you get my point).

Makes me wonder why home field advantage is so important to make the MLS regular season mean something when that's not necessary in any other competition.

Paulo_PT repped this.
  2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    English Rugby League Super League "million pound" promotion game of course.

3. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #128 Unak78, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    Those competitions do not represent the league. C'mon Jasonma,... You shouldn't need me to explain the difference between a cup competition and a league playoff system. Even Mexico gets this distinction since no other league Cup competition ever gave the high seed the automatic tiebreaker in the event of a draw. So long as MLS Cup represents our league title you simply cannot treat it like a domestic cup competition. BTW we already have one of those...

If you want MLS Cup to emulate the rules of an FA Cup with no bearing on regular season performance why not go all the way and have random draws. You draw the line there? Why? And if it should be just like an FA Cup rule wise then it should represent nothing more than an FA Cup, ie not be considered our league title...

You cannot and should not have this both ways...

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Icelandic FA Cup was just a made up random example. The various college football conference championships and playoffs are based on the regular season and the finals are neutral site. The Super Bowl is. The promotion playoffs in England are certainly the final of the regular season and they're held at a neutral site (Wembley). Europa, CL, and World Cup finals are neutral site. Etc.

5. Paulo_PT

Paulo_PT Member

SL Benfica
    Portugal
    Sep 17, 2017
    If the final is one-game match, then should be at a neutral site. Simply as that!
    Previous round could be seeded, makes sense, the final, no.

6. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    If we had one table, Seattle would have finished in SEVENTH place in regular season, yet you don't think the Supporters' Shield winner, Toronto, earned the right to play them at home?

Neutral sites or balanced 2-leg formats are fine for tournaments where you want the playing field to be as level as possible. But when determining a league champion, in a league where everyone has played each other in regular season, the higher seeded team has EARNED an advantage.

And that's exactly what we see in MLB, the NBA, and NHL. Granted, those finals are a series rather than 1 game, but they still give the advantage, in the final, to the team that earned it in regular season. It greatly erodes the importance of regular season to use 2-legs and neutral sites in a playoff, as if the two participants are equally deserving to be there.

The difference in the NFL is they don't all face each other in regular season, so you can't possibly know for sure which Super Bowl participant truly earned the higher seed.

KCbus, Unak78 and tallguy repped this.
  7. Paulo_PT

Paulo_PT Member

SL Benfica
    Portugal
    Sep 17, 2017
    They face each other but not the same number of times, so it's the same thing as NFL.

But I understand your point. However a final it's a final, and I believe it will be better with a neutral site.

For example, Toronto, already have advantage entering Playoffs in the second round (top 2 teams from each conference), playing at home in this round, etc.

JasonMa repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you explain England's promotion playoff finals then?

9. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It surely has something to do with English footballing tradition, all finals are one-legged played on Wembley. Promotion playoffs in most of UEFA's MAs are two-legged affairs. I can think of German ,Spanish, Italian...

I would say it is incomparable with MLS. MLS Cup decides league / national champion. Coca Cola League playoffs are just a second chance tournament for teams that failed to finish in top 2 of the league (same goes for lower divisions). I think that in those instances - deciding champion - regular season must matter pretty much, and best way is to favor team with better record.

I would like to see all MLS playoff matches played on one-legged format, from first to last.

Unak78 and tallguy repped this.
  10. Paulo_PT

Paulo_PT Member

SL Benfica
    Portugal
    Sep 17, 2017
    Let's hope MLS think the same in the near future!

Playoffs shouldn't last more than 4 weeks, 5 weeks if we include mid-november National Team break!

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany has a different situation because it's not a playoff between clubs from the same league. It's third worst in the Bundesliga vs. third in the Bundesliga 2.

12. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #137 Unak78, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    As stated before, football has a much smaller sample size to begin with. Now let's break down the NCAA example because this is not a very good example for what you're advocating for due to a couple of reasons.

The college conferences that are permitted to use conference title games are split into N/S, or E/W divisions who do not play one another during the regular season much if at all and thus creating a neutral final makes sense given the sample size, hardly the same situation in a professional league with 34 games in it's regular season. There's a reason why conference championships are not permitted for conferences below a certain size. All "Big 12" teams are able to play one another during their season and thus the need for a neutral conference final is completely subverted and thus not permitted by NCAA rules.

MLS using a neutral final and ignoring the regular season is the near equivalent of the "Big 12" being allowed to add a conference final despite the fact that the conference season does this job efficiently. In this case NCAA rules take into account the efficacy of the regular season when they decide who can or cannot use a conference title game to begin with. So even when MLS was single table, they used playoffs to determine champions which by NCAA rules, would not have been permitted. So even using this example, college football takes does this into account. In cases where all teams have an opportunity to demonstrate superiority during the regular season, a neutral final simply does not take place. Instead you have the "single table" setup. I don't think that you're advocating for a single table.

As for the National title playoffs etc, these match-ups are roughly the equivalent of the Champions League setup in that conferences have very, very few opportunities to meet one another during the season and therefore, no objective comparative basis can be found upon which to establish any earned advantage warranting anything other than a neutral site final.

Not even remotely equivalent. It's not deciding a league champion, nor is it even deciding all the promotion slots since the first two placed teams in the Championship automatically go thru.

13. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    That's not a good reason to decide how you award your league championship and pretty much all sports agree on this point in one manner or another. The idea that you highlight pretty much only exists in Cup competitions. For every league that has a playoff system in N. America, every single one, a logical basis can be found to justify every single aspect of it's composition.

The neutral final in the NFL can be justified as fair in competitive terms. Soccer/footbal leagues that use playoffs all seem to account to some extent for the regular season in a manner different from straight cup affairs. Even Liga MX accounts for this by allowing the higher seed to have the final tiebreaker.

No league awards it's league champion with rule-sets that ignore the regular season for the simple reason that one must justify the validity of said title's worth. A league playoffs that ignores this cannot be said to be anything other than a league cup competition and thus it's value vis-a-vis (in the case of MLS) the Supporters Shield (which benefits from a larger sample size) can reasonably be debated. What establishes the validity of MLS Cup is the fact that it shores up the shortcomings of the MLS regular season (imbalanced schedule despite all teams mostly playing one another) while also rewarding the performances established over those games at the same time. The fact that it can do both of these things is what grants it precedence and legitimacy. If you take one of these things away, you take away that legitimacy and create a championship whose legitimacy is roughly equivalent to the SS at best.

There are simply no examples of league championships in any sport that have no logical basis and are entirely arbitrary in their construction. None. For every neutral final etc, there is an underlying validity to it's nature; ie no sufficient comparative basis upon which to award any advantage and thus the neutrality of the event is not arbitrary at all but rather a necessity. MLS fans who advocate for neutral finals are doing so on the basis of non-competitive factors and aesthetics which should have no place in the task of constructing a legitimate and properly representative league championship.

Once again, if you're going to call it a league championship, then it must fit the role that and it's design must follow function. It would be like designing a space-borne spacecraft with wings simply because that's what the Space Shuttle looked like ignoring the fact that said wings were necessitated by an atmospheric landing stage. Putting wings on a spacecraft intended to travel only in space would be nonsense and arbitrary and could not even be called wings since they don't perform the function of wings. You would only be calling them wings due to some in-bred need to have wing-looking things that you could call wings and have wasted money constructing them simply so that you could have them there and call them wings.

That last paragraph was a bit of tangent (you should know by now that I like tangents) but I'll tie it up here. An MLS playoffs which ignores the regular season would no longer be a playoff system but rather a invitational league cup competition. You can still call the winner of said competition a "League Champion" just as you could call wing-like constructs that exist on a space-borne spacecraft "wings" if you wanted to, but neither would be true in actuality nor have any justification based on their actual function.

14. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The NCAA now allows the Big 12 to have a conference football championship game, at a neutral field, despite the fact that they play a complete round-robin regular season.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...-big-12-bring-back-football-championship-2017

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=211688187

Oklahoma went 8-1 in conference games in the regular season and played TCU who was in 2nd place with a record of 7-2. Oklahoma had defeated TCU 38-20 on November 11 in the regular season. The championship game was played at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, TX.

JasonMa and The Franchise repped this.
  15. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #140 Unak78, Dec 20, 2017
    I forgot that the "Big 12" lobbied for that. There was a reason that the rule existed, however and that was to limit non-essential games and because the "Big 12" Championship now can be won by a team that had a worse record, lost to it's "title game" opponent and now gets to be called "champion" despite having no other reason to warrant the title. That said, the only reason they changed this rule is because every other major conference raped the rest of college football, including the "Big 12" , and formed "Super-Conferences" that all had 14-16 teams (well above the 12 team threshold for title games). This was perceived by the"Big 12" to give those conferences an unfair advantage by having one additional matchup in which to impress the Playoff selection committee or whatever body selects the playoff teams. So they petitioned for a championship game that they did not need for reasons that had nothing to do with their own internal competition simply because they're a greedy little league run by my former school who I still root for but also accept is a greedy little shxt sometimes (Texas) who would rather sit at 10 teams than get with the program and expand like everyone else and thus warrant a championship game rather than the useless construct they've tacked onto the end of their season for the purpose of validating themselves.

So it's still a bad example since they, in blunt terms, created a "championship game" not for the purpose of crowning a championship at all, but rather for the purpose of enabling qualification to bigger competition which crowns a completely different champion. In other words, they didn't need it, the rules didn't allow it, but everyone else had it so the NCAA caved rather than force them to conform to the size and composition that exists for the other P5 conferences because they don't want to share with more teams. Why the other conferences allowed this without complaint leads me to believe that they all know that the "Big 12" won't exist in another decade so fvck it... I'm a Big 12 fan btw...

Big 12 petitioned for this game because they do not want to expand to 12 teams and split their money 12 ways (that and ESPN& Fox begged them not to) and the NCAA acquiesced because either the Big 12 will die in a few years or they'll finally be forced to expand once ESPN& Fox get their acts together, move into the modern age and find a way to monetize their products online. Bottom line,... this is not normal nor even justified and should not be used as an example for this unless you're somehow suggesting that there was an internal competitive reason for the Big 12 getting a title game.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the PAC-12 teams play 4 out of the 6 teams in the other division every year, hardly playing each other "much, if not at all". This year's game was a rematch of an earlier game in the season. And as mentioned the Big-12 plays everyone.

You're spinning a whole lot to ignore the counter examples being brought up about your blanket statement. The fact is that single-game neutral site examples for championships in many leagues. Hell in the NCAA they play multiple game series at neutral sites for softball and baseball.

17. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #142 Unak78, Dec 20, 2017
    I'm not spinning anything and if the best examples that you can come up with is collegiate sports which are full of numerous teams, limitations on competition length based largely on the amateur status of the athletes in question as well as the lack of compensation that said athletes receive as well as other considerations; if you can't tell me that you don't see the difference between these two things, then I can only assume that you're going to insist on a straw-man argument. Fine, I'll give you the NCAA despite the fact that I don't think that it's a convincing or even definitive example for reasons that I've explained.

Fine, we'll simplify it then. Which league's use neutral site championships while breaking the parameters that I have established above. You say that there are numerous leagues, but you haven't given me any examples. I've addressed my objections to each of your points based on my own reasoning. I've given support for those reasons for each and every example that you've presented. That's all that I can do short of caving in and just pretending to agree with you.

It takes two to tango here and in return all you've done is call my arguments "spin" without going into detail and presenting an argument countering the objections to your opinion that I've raised. You claim there are "numerous" other leagues that have neutral championships (not taking into account that this is only part of the equation of what we're discussing here; the NFL has a neutral final with a seeded playoff and home advantage) which is an argument that requires examples. And these examples need to be of the type that invalidates my entire argument, not ones akin to the NFL which have ample reasoning to explain the deficiency. I can't argue or debate a non-existent argument, because that's like a prosecutor being forced to invalidate unnamed witnesses. This is impossible.

So all I can do is present my argument. If you want to debate the points that I've brought up, fine. That's more than welcome. That's the point of this thread is debate. But if you want to just repeat the same thing over and again and ignore the fact that I've repeatedly responded to your argument, point by point and accept nothing but my acquiescence will satisfy you, then just leave it. We're getting nothing done here and I won't waste our time continuing to respond. I generally respect you and your opinions, but the manner in which this particular back and forth is playing out is growing tiresome. So, there you have it. Again, my answers are not spin, they're a response to your counter-arguments which, btw, I've heard before. And they've been answered before by me and various media articles that deal with this same issue. You have an argument, fine. But in my opinion they simply don't hold up to scrutiny. Now I've bent over backwards to address your arguments in multiple posts and paragraphs. Please do me the same courtesy or we'll just have to let our current debate rest...

I will summarize my argument, the only times when neutral venues are valid for league championships is when there are either massive logistical challenges in addition to no valid and fair means of determining an advantage.

18. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We get to argue about playoffs when MLS decided not to follow tradition around a good chunk of the world, where the regular season champ should be goal #1 and the cup is goal #2. We are somewhat like England with their 3rd trophy, the League Cup. You could make an argument that the MLS Cup is a very shortened version of a League Cup.
    Now if we had MLS D1 and a strong USL D2 (2 strong pro divisions) and you want to create a League Cup among team ,fine. What is really lacking right now in this country is the appreciation of the USOCup. 100 + years old. Since we have so many leagues and levels (MLS, USL2, USL3, PDL, NPSL, NISA(?),NASL(?) and the amateur entrants, a truly national cup like the USOCup is the only fair and true national champion.
    -
    My off the wall idea is MLS regular season= Shield Vs.
    USOCup = national champion
    -
    On the weekend after the regular MLS season ends, instead of the playoffs, you simply have the Shield Winner play the Cup winner in the US Super Cup. Leave the Allstar Game in middle of season, and once the US Soccer Hall of Fame gets finished in Dallas, bring back that game as the Season Opener (not unlike the Coummunity Shield). Except we combine the game, with the inductions into the Hall at the same time.
    -
    Or have the Super Cup start the year, put the Hall of Fame game in the middle and put the Allstar Game at the end of the year, that way you can really see who had a full year that warrants being an Allstar, rather than half a year.

19. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    The highest two in the table earn promotion automatically and the playoff among the next 4 is designed specifically to give the higher-placed team an advantage. They ensure the advantage in two ways:
    1. Seeding: The 3rd place team plays the 6th place team to give them a better chance of advancing than teams #4 or 5.

2. The higher-seeded team gets to play the 2nd leg at home so that any overtime or penalty kicks would happen on their home field.
    Again, I'm clearly in favor of playoffs. But when you hold a playoff, the higher-seeded team should have an advantage. They earned it by playing better in the regular season.

Unak78 and KCbus repped this.
  20. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    There are many things we could do, but I don't think we need to copy the rest of the world just for the sake of it. After all, we don't have pro/rel (nor do I think we should implement it anytime soon) and most of our mid-season tournaments are a distant afterthought. So, without playoffs, 80% of the league would be rendered irrelevant by August. That's not good for a league that is still growing, expanding, and trying to create a critical mass of public interest. Therefore, playoffs make sense for MLS. That said, there is plenty to debate on format.

As a side note, the tourney that I really hope starts to get more attention here in the US is the CONCACAF Champions League. With the increased payroll spending and influx of international talent, MLS should be getting to a point where it can legitimately compete with the top teams from Liga MX. Once a MLS team actually wins the CCL and advances to the FIFA Club World Cup, it could be a game-changer. Imagine a team like Real Madrid in a 2-leg series vs. NYC FC, Atlanta, Seattle, or LAFC for example. That's what it would take to really put MLS on the map and I think it's within reach over the next few years.

Unak78 repped this.
  21. Paulo_PT

Paulo_PT Member

SL Benfica
    Portugal
    Sep 17, 2017
    With a mature MLS and USL (D2), you can´t rely only on MLS Cup.

Maybe, MLS Cup could evolve to a kind of League Cup.

And maybe a Soccer Bowl could be implemented to found the American/National Champion, between Regular season and MLS Cup, and even US Open Cup could be included.

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know how the Pac-12 determines who you play in the other division? With 12 teams, you could play 8 conference games and play every team in the other division every other year. The Pac-12 plays 9 conference games. I'm a fan of Florida State in the ACC, which has a schedule that I hate. There are 2 divisions of 7. Every year you play 6 division games, 1 game against a rival in the other division, and the other 6 teams you play once every 6 years. It gets ridiculous to think of the ACC as one unit when teams in different divisions that didn't play each other have only 3 out of 8 conference opponents in common. Furthermore, the divisions are not done geographically. Florida State's rival in the other division is Miami, but the conference opponent geographically closest to Florida State is Georgia Tech, who Florida State plays once every 6 years, although they met less than a year apart including the 2014 ACC Championship game.

1. I don't like the analogy of MLS to the English League Cup because the English League Cup includes clubs from four levels.
    2. A game between the Supporters Shield and U.S. Open Cup winners has the possibility of one club winning both.

23. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a rotational system, except all of the California teams are guaranteed to play each other.

This thread is strange because nobody mentions that MLS had a neutral site final through 2011.

EvanJ repped this.
  24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It won't work. Blame Canada!

25. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Since the schedule is dropping today, I thought I would try putting together a regular season and playoff schedule that would finish everything by the November international date. To do this I had to condense the schedule a bit so there are more mid-week games at certain times of the year. However, MLS has improved its product to the point that teams will be deep enough that they can rotate players and still put out a quality game, and attendance/rating figures show that people will come/watch on TV mid-week games.

Some constraints include the 5 MLS teams that will be playing CCL at the start of the season, the June-July World Cup/Gold Cup/international breaks, and USOC/Canadian Championships running May to September.
    • Season Starts 1st weekend in March
    • March-May: Clubs must fit 15 games into the schedule, working around the CCL matches and March International break.
    • June-July: Clubs must fit 7 games in that timeframe, working around the vagaries of timing of the World Cup and Gold Cup tournaments. Some years will be easier when there is only a June International break.
    • August-Sept; Clubs must fit 11 games into the schedule and be flexible enough for teams that advance in the USOC.
    • The last game of the season is played right before the October International break. That give the maximum amount of time for clubs to sell tickets before the playoffs start.
    • Playoffs occur between the October and November International breaks using Grant Wahl's group stage format. The play-in Round teams will have the winners home game played on the last date of the group stage games to maximize time to sell tickets. All games will be played within 5 days of each other except for MLS cup, which will be played 1 week after the final group stage games to maximize time for ticket sales (though in high-demand markets, the game will probably sell out within 72 hours).
    Is that too compressed, or is it doable? That schedule gives any MLS CCL champion at least two weeks to prepare for the Club World Cup. Off-season is only about 10-12 weeks before preseason begins again.