It's a Matter of Patriotism

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by newboldcity, Mar 14, 2009.

1. newboldcity

newboldcity New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    The Woodlands
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbPGhgA3zn0"]YouTube - It's a matter of patriotism[/ame]

2. newboldcity

newboldcity New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    The Woodlands
    Lee Greenwood, an American Patriot captures America in song. Soccer style football has been played in America since before the American revolution. Soccer was as popular as baseball in the 1920s and early 1930s but the professional leagues fell during the great depression. Soccer is a global phenomomen. The men's World Cup is the largest and most popular sporting event in the World. Supporting your country's team from youth soccer, high school soccer, professional teams and most importantly your country's team is a matter of patriotism and pride. It's also American's joining the World community. God bless America and God bless the "beautiful game". If you agree with the message in the video, please share with family and friends.

3. USA 1776

USA 1776 Member

Feb 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice video, repped
    God Bless America

4. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent video. The music....not so much.

5. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    :rolleyes:

nothing's better than Lee Greenwood...anyone that disagrees is just plain wrong (and has extremely poor taste and judgment :p)

6. Absolute

Absolute BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 18, 2007
    Green Hell
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I liked the video.

Lee Greenwood...ugh. I think I've heard his songs 1000000000 too many times to appreciate any of them anymore.

7. Swazicar

Swazicar Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Portland, Ore.
    I've never understood the deeper meaning of this. Is it a statement that God does bless America, or is it a request that he do so?

8. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    both

(fyp to make it more clear ;) )

9. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i'm a huge usmnt and uswnt fan. but i don't know why God would prefer one side over the other in a soccer match.

10. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if it's the first option then people have been using really poor grammar for a long time. But then I guess that's the case either way. It should either be "God blesses (or blessed) American" or "God, bless America." Of course giving God (if you believe in him/her/it) orders just seems like a bad idea to me.

Maybe it's meant as what a foreign friend might say as America walks out the door on an ambitious, yet mildly foolish quest: "God bless, America."

Or the way today's advertising pros would do it: "God. Bless. America."

Seriously though, I think it probably started the same way many still use it: "May God bless America." Over time people just dropped the "May."

11. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a well known fact that God hates route 1 soccer. I think it's in Leviticus.

Sidenote: He also hates the 3-man backline, The Golden Goal rule and American born and bred soccer fans who insist on calling it 'football' even when speaking to other Americans. He's been known to stomp around Heaven exclaiming, "What? Do you go around calling erasers 'rubbers' and fries 'chips,' too? I mean, for MY sake, could you sound any more pretentious?"

Sidenote to the sidenote: Yes, I know this is all quite blasphemous. Yes, I'm going to burn in hell for all eternity. I'll tell Jack Warner you all say hello.

12. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there is god, he doesn't give two winks about who wins a soccer match, or a war for that matter.

13. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny
    Funnier
    Funniest

repped

14. piazza

piazza Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Roseville, MI
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is nothing better than repping the stars and bars. I was in Columbus in 05 at the Mexico game, and I'll never forget the feeling that comes with screaming on your country with 20,000 of your close personal friends.

Great vid.