It's a Jozy thing: Altidore at Villarreal

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Pass-n-Go, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

The grass is always greener on the other side of the hill. Just keep moving to a different club, young man, to satisfy the whims of the internet fan. ;)

2. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we definitely can agree to disagree...

For me personally I just believe that he is not (and never really was) on the phenom career trajectory and I am ok with that...I think he is on the career trajectory of the other 95% of successful footballers and to me that includes a period of fighting for playing time and developing over time. I think by the time he is in his prime, he will be a very good player that we will be happy to have representing the USMNT...

Just out of curiosity what amount of time do you think a 21 year old should be playing in one of the top leagues? And I am asking about the 95% of players not the freak of nature Messi types...

3. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    not many. There's Pato and the 2 German lads who play reguarly.and probably 10 or 15 more. RE: Jozy he is doing quite well and I believe when all is said and done he will have become an elite striker.

4. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Obvious typo. Get over it.

I've never once said that Jozy is failing. Far from it. Read my posts. I'm one of Jozy's most outspoken supporters on here. But I do think that getting consistent playing time is more important than participating in training drills during the week.

5. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying the talent and quality of the soccer player who is doing the learning has no influence in this equation?

6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy interviewed in Marca: "We have to be tight in the beginning."

Other highlights -- it's tough to play because Nilmar and Rossi are in form, he hopes to play Thursday, Ruben and he need to train hard...

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Villareal plays a very tight, short passing, technical game. I think Jozy is an excellent player but I think he is on the wrong team. His game is not a good match for Villareal, and I do think that is part of the issue. They may want to bring a big #9 in at the end of the game, but I highly doubt that his style will ever be mainstream at Villa. Their style is perfect for Rossi, not Jozy. A bit like Ibrahimovic at Barca. Regardless of how good he is/was, he was on the wrong team.

9. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man we are ying and yang...I think that he needs to play for a team that plays a tight, short passing and technical game. Those are the skills he needs to develop...I don't want teams to view him as the giant brute American that can just stand up front and maul people. If they do he tends to get service from 40 yard passes with his back to goal...I think he has pretty good skills and moves when he takes on players so there is no need for him to be a long ball chasing brute all the time.

I guess my deep seeded hope is that in the spectrum of soccer styles, the USMNT will eventually develop a more Villarreal style of play which will require our strikers to be more technical...I never was a fan of the giant #9 who specializes in flicking the long ball with his head to some other player...it's just not my style preference...by the way I am not saying that any of you do prefer that style...it's just my $0.02.

10. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His differing style is the only reason Villareal could have kept him. You can't have 6 strikers that all play the exact same way, especially on a team that plays in Europe. Jozy gives them an element that no other player on their roster can offer. He doesn't need to be "mainstream." If he continues to get better at what he does best, as well as gel with what the team does, then he'll get more and more PT.

I remember watching the game where he finally played alongside Nilmar. They had no chemistry AT ALL. BUT, you could see Jozy working his way into Villareal's scheme. He was trying to do the same things Nilmar was doing. As he game went along, you could see that they were getting closer and closer to linking up. The commentators even talked about it.

That's what Garrido sees. Altidore isn't a project or a square peg for a round hole. If he was, then Gariddo wouldn't keep giving him PT. He sees an X factor who is also fitting into the team better and better.

11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    you are 100% correct but this is Villareal FC, not the Jozy Improvement Society.

12. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The big reason that Jozy's lack of major PT is a big deal is because he is basically the only forward in our pool. I think he is in a great position. People dont realize that he is behind 2 of the top 30 La liga players in Rossi and Nilmar. He will get his time.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    or not.

14. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or not what? Nilmar and Rossi are absolutely lethal this season. They're both tied at 4th with David Villa in goals scored this season at 8. The only 3 that have more: Fernando Llorente, Lionel Messi, and Cristiano Ronaldo.

I'm really baffled at just why you're so damn negative about Jozy's situation.

15. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Because Villarreal will not substantially change syles and Jozy will never be Nilmar or Rossi (i.e., a go-to striker for Villarreal). He'll always be the "X" factor -- the wild card to hold off physical defenses -- and that means he'll play the occasional match and make the occasional 15 minutes in other matches.

He needs additional development through weekly 90 minute matches. He is certainly getting something out of playing for VR, it just doesn't seem like it will ever amount to much.

16. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This:

17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    you said what I have been trying to say ( without much success apparently!).

18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    because Villa play a style that does not and never will fit Jozy. PLEASE read what I wrote, and don't just flail about. Villa is a good team. Jozy is a good player. But Jozy will never be what they look for in a starting player. It is not just about quality, but also about style.

19. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also like Eto'o at Barca...that worked out okay though. IMO Ibra's skillset was a better fit for the Barca system than Eto'o

20. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Is it ok to disagree with this?

21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    no it wasnt...

22. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. I understand Bruce S position but just disagree with it.

IMO, as far as Jozy's club career goes he is doing just fine at the moment. 21 year old behind/learning from two fantastic strikers on a top 3 club in LA LIGA is a great situation for him to be in. The best situation he has been in since he left RBNY, IMO. As far as national team concerns, it's year one of the cycle. If there is a time to learn/develop it is now.

23. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. I didn't know that thoroughly building my argument meant I was flailing about.

24. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't you think so? I think that Ibra is a better passer, has a better first touch and better control of the ball in tight spaces. Many commentators felt that way the first 2 months of the season as well. His faulures were not about technical skill...which seems to be the basis of Bruce's argument.

but that's not really the larger point...that a forward who does not share the same skill set can succeed in a club like Villarreal (or Barca)

25. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Just out of curiosity where do you see Jozy in the next 2-3 years club wise? You obviously think the position he's in now at VR will benefit him greatly. A lot of us don't... why is it baffling that some of us think playing time is better than being an understudy? Regardless of how big a club is your at or how well it's doing.