It's a Jozy thing: Altidore at Villarreal

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Pass-n-Go, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Altidore would be reuniting with his old nemesis Erwin Hoffer from the U-20 World Cup, and Hoffer would be one of the guys he would be competing with for playing time.

Croatian striker Srđan Lakićseems to have one spot understandably locked down, as he has 7 goals and is the club captain.

2. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Kicker has Hoffer ranked as the 2nd worst striker in the Bundesliga (of those with enough appearances to merit a rating). Lakic is just outside of the top 10. No other Kaiserslautern strikers are rated.

3. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I was him I would I would hop on it if the money was right and I was guranteed playing time.

4. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara

No player is ever guaranteed playing time. Messi would be benched tommorow if it was clear better options are available. No matter what team Jozy is on he must earn his spot, and he's unfortunently on a team with a couple of world class strikers. I think a german team would be great move.

5. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara

No, he absolutely did not miss that same exact type of goal in south africa.

6. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree 100%. So the 5 days of training mean nothing?

7. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    i thought Napoli wanted him maibe his luck will change in Italy if this is true

8. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Laurent Blanc disagrees with you 100%. My guess is that he knows more than you do.

All those splinters in Freddy's ass really have done wonders for his career. And I guarantee you that Jozy learned a shitload more playing for a shitty Hull team against World Class opposition than he would have riding the pine at a club like Tottenham. (just using them as an example)

Jozy is getting some minutes at Villarreal in cup games, but if he can get more playing time elsewhere I'd rather see him playing.

9. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually trained with Laurent while I was with Montpellier's youth team in the mid 90's. Trust me when I tell you I know more than [him].

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
  12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Not at all, Bundesliga is a great league for attacking soccer.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    He needs to play almost constantly now. Sitting and watching La Liga is basically about as useful as watching on TV. His career is passing by. This is what? 2/12 suboptimal/wasted years now? That move from MLS has made his game worse, not better.

14. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Not sure if this is a joke....?

15. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you have to play daily in games that mean something to show what has gone on during those 5 days of training.

16. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can only hope so.

17. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    I agree. Jozy is recieving an education and gaining knowledge. Until he gets regular playing time at one place, he will not know how to put what he has learned to the best possible use.

18. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe comoesa was being facetious since he said you have to play "daily."

19. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I wouldn't call last season a waste. He played a shitload of games in the best league on the planet against some of the best defenders in the game. Hull might have been a shitty team. But he got consistent playing time there.

And the whole career passing him by is nonsense. Jozy is barely 21. There is a decade of his career still to go.

20. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    nice appeal to authority flaw. The douche from Munich thought Donovan wasn't good enough to play for the BM reserves, should we also believe him blindly since he's in position of power? Playing in a game is a huuuge help but if you don't think Jozy is learning anything at Villareal because he's not getting tons of game time, then you are totally clueless. The way you practice translates to the games.

21. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Anyone who actually believe the reserve coach at BM was actually assessing Donovan's talent rather than taking a jab at Klinsmann is too stupid to be allowed to have an opinion.

I don't believe I ever said that Jozy wasn't learning anything at Villarreal. But I also think that what he is learning is coming from his time in the Copa Italia and Europa League, rather than playing 5 v 2 in training.

The way you practice does, in most cases, translate to games - provided you're getting games.

22. bryan579

bryan579 Member

Jul 21, 2010
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're going to criticize and say he isn't learning anything at least get the league right...Villarreal sounds sooooo Italian it's crazy.

What is also ridiculous is the fact that a 21 year old on a top 3 team, in a top 3 league in the world, with 2 world class strikers ahead of him is failing to you and many others...I guess Brian Mcbride was a huge failure since he was still in college at this point and Drogba was just barely scraping by at Le Mans in the French League and not the Drogba everyone slobs over now....

23. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Good post. lol At the catch wtih Coppa Itallia. :p

And yes, practicing even with the best, will improve a player overall. Hell, Jozy even admitted it. He is learning more, and is appreciating learning a different side of how the game is played more in spain. More respect to the techincal side of the game, which many criticize of him already, and I am sure he sees this also.... he feels this is a perfect place for him.

His Castellano too is pretty damn good, and getting better. I see him babbling on on his twitter, and seems to have worked up a good friendship with Montero. He's staying in Spain. Whether you EPL lovers like it or not. ;)

24. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
  25. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy obviously has the talent and is learning from the guys ahead of him. Honestly he is in a great situation for a young player.

And apparently warming that bench is enough to get some offer form bundesliga and serie A sides.