It's a Jozy thing: Altidore at Villarreal

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Pass-n-Go, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villareal is third in the table with a comfortable cushion on fourth place Espanyol. I bring that up because they are having some success with their current lineups and do not think they are looking for Jozy to be in an instant-impact player or in any way a savior.

My guess is if you were to ask Garrido what he needs out of Jozy, he looks for Jozy to be an option he can count on off the bench. When the situation calls for a bigger guy to check back and combine with the midfield, then crash the area, he wants to know Jozy can work within the team system.

He does need to step when given opportunities, but people do not expect him to be the focal point right now. If he stays with Villareal through the transfer window, works himself into the Liga rotation, continues to help the team in other competitions, and puts away 7-10 goals in all competitions, that would be a fantastic year for a young forward.

2. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post, and I agree. Villarreal sit 3rd in their Europe League Group, though just one point behind the co-leaders. 2 games left. I hope they get through, more chances for Jozy to play. If they advance much further, then he may start to see some La Liga action, as Rossi may be saved for big Europa League games.

3. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. I was kidding ;)

4. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Jozy can get 20-25 appearances for a club like Villarreal, putting away 5-10 goals, I'd be thrilled.

5. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a pretty weak goal. Just a tap in. Not sure how much confidence he will get from that but its better than not scoring thats for sure

6. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Where could I see this 'weak goal'?

7. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    Just don't read Marca the next day.

8. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Easy tap in, but that will give him confidence, and trust from his fellow strikers around him that if given the chance... he wont miss.

9. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BS is awesome....

10. Rezelby

Rezelby Member

Aug 1, 2010
    what did they do to jozy? nobody came to congratulate him? some kind of joke against jozy? i see he's laughin.

and to the dude who said it was a weak goal, jozy missed that same exact type of goal in south africa. this is progress

11. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmm not sure if you saw the right goal, the first of his goals was called off. The second he had a few teammates come over and high five/hug him since it actually was a goal.

12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ignore Higher Learning.

13. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    that ball he played to #23 (montero?) early in the video was really nice, too bad it wasn't finished.

14. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what did I do? that wasn't a tap in?

15. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    A tap in is not a "weak goal". A tap in is an "easy goal", or if you're from Malta, a "sitter" or a "faċli".

16. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    All goals count, and strikers often build long runs of good form on easy goals that boost confidence. We've seen Jozy finish at NY and for the Nats. He hasn't done it in Europe, but it's been the last real thing holding him back at Hull and at Villareal thus far. It's amazing how suddenly those tap ins make those difficult finishes that much easier, and anyone that has played at a competitive level knows this.

He's also getting more and more playing time, and yes, there are injury issues, but the more he goes 90 in Copa games, the more PT he gets in Europa league games, the more super-sub roles he gets in La Liga, the closer he reaches his potential. I don't think anyone can complain if Jozy continues to remain that sub/cup game striker at 21 on a top La Liga club.

17. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're right, he should have chipped it up to himself and bike it in. :rolleyes:

as others have pointed out, easy does not equal weak. The goal scored against England (dempsey's) was weak, this was clinical.

18. nick1278

nick1278 Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it was quite a clinical goal. When my cat plays soccer with me he always complains I'm not setting him up for clinical goals.

19. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd wager your cat isn't doing much work off the ball.:rolleyes:
    :D

20. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never doubt the ability of fans to complain.

21. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this. Everyone knows (in basketball) that you don't foul a shooter when he's having a bad night- hitting a free throw can get them going. Same here- just putting the ball in the net can help with the mental block I think he's been struggling with. We'll see.

22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy didn't play versus Valencia today, which was a 1-1 tie.

24. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
  25. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999