It's a funny game...

Discussion in 'Player' started by HouseHead78, Mar 29, 2011.

1. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I freaking love this sport.

So a few years ago, I switched to center mid from forward. Our team had a few good options up front, and no one disciplined enough to play the holding role in midfield. So I learned everything I could about the job, have been playing it for a couple of years, and had a lot of fun with it.

Flash forward to this past weekend - our goalie got hurt. One of our strikers had to move into the goal, and our coach put me up top. Suddenly, it was like playing a new sport. All that space! All those options to run into it, or to pull off the back line for the ball! I was like a kid in the candy store. I got good balls to my feet over and over and was dangerous through the whole half.

I flung myself at a cross and my header found a team mate for a tap-in. The keeper saved my left-footed effort on a quick through ball (should have flicked it outside of the right foot into the far post. Argh.) I held up the ball on a counter, drew three guys, and played my forward mate through for the game-winner. It was the most exciting half of football I've played in I don't know how long, even though I didn't get a goal myself.

What amazed me, again, was how much easier this role seems after playing center mid. The game is simple again, and the options are so easy to see. Maybe it was just one of those days, but I hope if I'm played up top again, I can replicate that.

Any way, just wanted to share. Center mid is a hard slog every game. Every touch seems contested and complicated by so many factors. It's fun to re-find the joy in playing this game.

2. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A funny game it is. I'm converting from CM to striker and I feel the complete opposite.

The game is sooooooooo simple in the middle of the park. Options every where, no constraints, the game just flows and feels natural for me at CM.

Up top I kind of get this constricted feeling. Even though there's a lot of space there are always defenders everywhere, it's hard to keep them and my teammates in my line of sight, I'm indecisive with my runs and I generally just feel like I'm on an island.

I'm getting a lot better (in part due to information posted on this forum) but playing up top still isn't quite natural for me even though I'm a good finisher.

3. snolly g

snolly g Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    it all depends on the team.

when i first started playing, i was an out-and-out winger/forward. another team put me at outside back. then one team put me at striker. and another team had me at center mid.

these days, one of my teams has me as outside mid. my other team has me at sweeper.

4. laure23

laure23 Member

Jun 30, 2010
    This is the thing. Goal scoring is hard.

I've played with many players over the years and I rarely see a natural goal scorer.

Players score goals if their team is superior but it's rare to find a consistent goal scorer when most teams in the league are on an even level.

5. Manustriker

Manustriker Member

Feb 26, 2011
    US
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Man I've been playing forward for what, 7 years, and just this past season I had to play center midfielder fornschool,vend the game opened up so much.... Like it was ridiculous all then space you get to use some times as a center mid. I released the ball when needed, but man I loved attacking into 20-30 yards of space. It's so much fun