Italy's Euro 2008 Qualifying Group [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Cassano, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    That is correct. If you can't beat the Faroe Island at home, you do not deserve to go. I just do not like the mentality of let's just get a draw in Scotland. That is too dangerous. Need to get the job done there and then it is over with.

2. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
  3. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Here is how it plays out ....

France 11 25
    Scotland 11 24
    Italy 10 23 ​

We beat Scotland, they are done. We go through with France. The best France can do is 28 points. We can go 29 with two victories.

If we collect only two points by drawing, we finish tied with Scotland. If between the two of us only (France draws or wins against Ukraine, finishing first), then we go through with a better head-to-head record.

If we draw Scotland and beat Faroe Island and France loses to Ukraine, then we take first with 27. France and Scotland are tied for second with 25, whereby Scotland have the better record head-to-head.

If we lose to Scotland and beat Faroe Island while France draws against the Ukraine, the Scots go through with France as we lose the head-to-head. A French win and they beat us on points anyway.

If we lose to the Scots and beat Faroe Island and if Ukraine beat France, then it is us and Scotland.

Now if we draw our last two, France loses, then all three teams finish with 25 points. According to UEFA, it would be head-to-head among the three teams, like a mini-tournament. The records would be as follows:

Scotland 2-1-1 7 points
    Italy 1-2-1 5 points
    France 1-1-2 4 points​

So we help France if we beat Scotland. And we help ourselves. The French also control their destiny by beating Ukraine. And the Scots help themselves beating us.

Bottom line, beat the Scots.

4. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    well, i'm not so convinced. ukraine have nothing to lose and they would love to salvage some pride by beating a world cup finalist. in addition the temperature will be freezing in ukraine next month and the conditions will heavily favor the home team. i think a draw or even a france loss is very possible. france still had problems scoring today against lithuania but fortunately henry turned up when we needed him most. it was a very close call.

and yes, as a frenchman i can't deny that i want italy to lose to scotland and be kept out of the tournament because i don't want my team to have to face you...again.

5. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Well I think if one of France or Italy don't make it, and England miss out as well, the tournament will be kind of weak as the 2 hosts also haven't been too impressive. Maybe we will see a Greek repeat.

6. L.Vorenus

L.Vorenus New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    NJ, USA
    Same here. I'm not content with a draw against Scotland, because I don't want to deal with people saying that we got in by the skin of our teeth.

Actually, as I said in another post, I wanted Scotland to beat Georgia so we'd HAVE TO go up north with an attacking mindset.

7. Khaloisha

Khaloisha Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Milano
    I'm fairly confident that we can go through, but at the last minute, in our long tradition of suffering for every match. But the guys has showed that when it is important, the job gets done. Dai Italia. :D

8. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just like Georgia didn't put up a fight yesterday ?????

Trust me ....playing on the road is one thing but when you are at home you will fight as if it was your last day. Ukraine would like nothing better than to be the team to knock the WC finalists out.

France had trouble at home against Lithuania ...you don't think a game in The Ukraine won't be tough in the middle of November ???

It may snow :D

9. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  10. malicia

malicia New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    a cold dark place
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Different situations. Georgia had nothing to lose but pride and were united.
    There's turmoil in the Ukraine camp, people wanting Blokhin out, Sheva supporting him, Sheva's problems...I don't know. That stuff doesn't seem to make for good football. But, I think the weather will definitely be a factor.

11. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We should have the fittest, fullest, healthiest squad of the qualifying campaign for next month.

Barring injuries I believe all the players will be at our disposal.

12. decola

decola Member+

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I seriously hope Rosina gets a call up for Scotland. I would really lose some respect for Donadoni if Quagiarella can keep his place in the squad after Rosina put in such an all energy performance against South Africa. The speed he and Di Natale and provide and set piece ability would be a banquet for Toni. Foggia should get serious look too, he has alot of speed and creativity (though his final ball leaves a bit to be desired) and he works so hard, constantly buzzing around the opposing players.

Should everything stay as it is i'd like to see:

-----------Toni
    ----Di Natale-----Rosina
    -----Pirlo--Perrotta--Rino
    --Zambro--Barzagli--Canna--Oddo
    -------------Buffon

13. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    NO THANKS. The Greeks had their glory, time to move on! lol

14. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When is Materazzi due back? :D

15. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Fabio Q might come back to life between now and then, I wouldn't count him out just yet. I would like Rosina introduced too, but Fabio Q is still our future and is just on a bad spell. It's the food in UDINE I tell you! I heard it's so boring there too, Napoletani need good food and action ya know.:D

16. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Cassano is also starting to find his stride again...too many options!

17. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    European Championship Qualifying

Group B
    GP W D L GS GA GD P

France 11 8 1 2 23 3 20 25

Scotland 11 8 0 3 20 10 10 24

Italy 10 7 2 1 17 7 10 23

Ukraine 10 5 1 4 16 12 4 16

Lithuania 10 3 1 6 7 13 -6 10

Georgia 11 3 1 7 16 17 -1 10

Faroe Islands 11 0 0 11 3 40 -37 0

*Top two teams advance

Basically Scotland beats Italy and France loses to the Ukraine and the Azzurri miss out. Italy can play catenaccio and counter attack toat least win or pull out a draw against the Scots + they will beat the Faroes with ease with any of their forwards, Toni, Lucarelli, Iaquinta, Inzaghi , Del Piero, whomever. I'd think against Scotland they will also use their big guns on both defense and offense....

19. Via Vetulonia

Via Vetulonia New Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Roma
  20. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    My Expectations for squad callups for this match (or HOPEFUL call ups :p):

Forwards: Toni, Di Natale, Cassano, Gilardino, Quagliarella/Iaquinta

Midfield: Rosina, Foggia, Pirlo, Gattusso, De Rossi, Ambrosini, Perrotta, Aquilani/Montolvio (depending on Aquilani's fitness at the time)

Defenders: Oddo, Zaccardo, Matrix, Cannavaro, Barzagli, Chiellini, Zambrotta, Grosso/Dossena

Goalkeepers: Buffon, Amelia, Curci

We're gonna need a highly skilled and technical forward contingent in order to get past a tight defensive team like Scotland. If Cassano's form continues to improve, then I don't see why he wouldn't get the call up seeing as how he has the skill and the experience. I was impressed with Gila's performance against South Africa, and he would make the perfect backup option for Toni. Quagliarella will have to get back on track, but if he does within the next month, then he will likely startin in his usual place on the right wing. Otherwise we may be forced to see more of Iaquinta this match.

Midfield will have the perfect mix of youth, experience, speed, work ethic, and skill. Rosina and Foggia were both monsters for the Azzurri in the friendly against S.A. (particularly Rosina), so I see no reason why they shouldn't get another shot at least as substitutes on the bench. Pirlo, Gattuso, and Ambrosini would be logical starters considering how well they link up together because their Milan chemistry. De Rossi and Perrotta will likely start off on the bench, but would be brought on later in the event that the Azzurri are looking to protect the lead. I think, if healthy, Aquilani will be the likely call up to back up Pirlo, but if not then Montolivo could be a highly likely choice.

Our defense will look rock solid once agian with the return of Cannavaro, Matrix, and Zambrotta to the mix. Oddo will be the obvious start on the right side, and hopefully he'll be back up by an in-form Zaccardo (sorry, but I haven't been overly impressed with the 34 year old Panucci up till this point). Matrix will likely reclaim his starting spot in the center alongside Cannavaro, although I would find it somewhat of an unjust and debatable decision considering the awesome form that Barzagli has been in for both Palermo and the Azzurri, so it'll be a toss up between who partners Fabio. On the left we'll fortunately have Zambrotta back, and he'll most likely be backed up by Grosso who had a strong game against Georgia. I put Dossena as a "hopeful" backup to Zambrotta on the left side because he put on a spectacular performance against South Africa and I've found myself quickly becoming a fan of his :p

In goal....well it's the usual suspects.

21. Romanista_NYC

Romanista_NYC Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Basel, Switzerland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hah! Clever.

22. CoachKilmer

CoachKilmer Member

Jun 18, 2006
    NJ
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Grosso must start. he had been playing well in France and he has the experince over chilleni. my line-up would be

Buffon
    Grosso Canna Bazagli Zambo
    Pirlo Gattuso DeRossi Perrotta
    Gila Toni

this line-up would be perfect for a draw

23. Forza4Azzurri

Forza4Azzurri New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Milan
    I rather see Germany win any day before I see those greek flaring nostrils win..that year was just the biggest joke for soccer

24. Tottino

Tottino Member+

Mar 19, 2005
    Frosinone, Italia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    ------------Buffon--------------
    zambro--canna--barzagli--grosso
    ------------De Rossi------------
    -------Pirlo-------Ambrossini/Gattuso
    ---Quagliarella---------Di Natale-
    ---------------Toni--------------