Italy's Euro 2008 Qualifying Group [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Cassano, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Well, we're definitely gonna have more to prove this time around than we did last year. I think Donadoni is gonna make sure that these guys train hard and are as prepared as possible for this match.

2. Via Vetulonia

Via Vetulonia New Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Roma
    Well, I think it was others who were complaining about Inzaghi still getting capped. I just said I don't like him as part of a tridente or as a prima punta or a lone striker. Playing him as a seconda punta is how he should be used.

I just brought up L'Aeroplanino for a capriccio to be a little provocative. ;-)

3. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Domenech though unorthodoxed is a better coach than Donadoni just because of the fact that he is proven. Donadoni has not proven anything yet. The French league started play last saturday and sunday so they are 3 weeks ahead of us. England and Germany start this weekend. If anyone has noticed Ribery is already on fire and has been Bayern's best player so far. Taking all this into consideration I would say France has an advantage and throw in the fact that Italy has not beaten them on the field since 1978 I would say that Italy is looking at a very tough game and a win is by no means assured. If Toni plays Italy will win. If not they are in trouble because I just do not see where the goals are going to come from.

4. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    Seriously, where was Donadoni supposed to prove himself? By winning Serie A with Livorno? Get real. :rolleyes:

That being said, I wouldn't discount Italy just on Donadoni. Back last year at Stade-de-France Donadoni already gave Domenech a run - with a disoriented, out-of-form, hung over World Cup team just after the calciopoli scandal and without the commencement of Serie A (and in Paris, mind you). We were out numerous players as well.

Although Toni is a magnificent asset, and I'd hate to play without him, don't cast such doubt just on the speculation that he may not be there (and he will, he'll be able to play in a few days for Bayern anyway, so he should be in-form). There are other forwards capable of playing and scoring goals - as if Toni scored the bulk of the goals in Italy's recent games.... :rolleyes:

That being said, we should be much better prepared this time around. I'm hoping for a nice 2-0 victory (really I want a 3-0, but....hey).

5. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I am not discounting their chances. I just think it will be a tough game. If you look at the last so many times we have played them starting in 98 they have all been tough games with not much difference between the two teams. Not to discount some of the other forwards we have but Italy's record with Toni starting is unbelievable. I do not think they have ever lost a game when he has started and might have lost only 2 a friendly against Iceland and a WC qualifier against Slovenia with him in the squad. He is a force along with Materazzi when it comes to heading off of free kicks and corners which coincidently is France's weakest point. If the midfield is ready to go meaning Pirlo and Gattuso and Toni plays I can't see them losing but it will be close. I am hoping for 2-0 but it could be 1-0.

6. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I still don't understand why the hell the FIGC will not allow the Serie A season to start earlier! It puts our NT players at a HUGE disadvantage! :mad:

7. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Domenech will be the new fifa president with all his hate for italy, sepp blatter is taking notice

8. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

[​IMG]

9. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    Money and club influence.

That is the ONLY reason they've decided to do it.

That being said, the clubs play a lot of friendlies and we do have the Supercoppa, some champions preliminaries, and two league matches before the game.

Without a doubt, we will be more prepared than last year, when we had played NO GAMES before the match (and still gave them a run).

Be easy man, San Siro should be our day to shut them up.

10. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I was thinking the same thing. Considering Blatter's open bias and dislike towards Italian football I wouldn't be surprised if he were to actually show praise for Domenech's comments and even try to overturn Platini's punishment against him :rolleyes:

11. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Or it could be that half of the country is on vacation right now!

12. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    Terrible excuse.

Vacation is going on in France, Germany, and England as well but yet their leagues have begun or will begin this weekend.

13. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Actually that's a load of crap, I don't know how it is over there in Connecticut but you don't have your facts right. In Norther Europe the big vacation period is July. That's the period when tourism in Italy in the summer is at it's peak. It's flooded with German and English people. In August Italians go on vacation and the country moves at a snails pace, all types of stores are closed down and the cities are half empty. It's been that way my entire life, so don't try and tell me I'm wrong.

Moving the entire season forward for the sake of one game is ridiculous, especially given the decades of Italian tradition involved. Clearly, the most simple solution would have been to move the one or two qualifier games back.

14. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    So France and Spain, both of whom you apparently consider "northern European nations" though in fact have their major vacation time in August. At any rate, both have their leagues started up far before vacation is "over."

And yes, I can tell you that you're wrong. You're not any better than anyone else so don't think you're justified. I can't contest on England and Germany, just like you can't really back it up yourself. So don't waste my time and yours lecturing me.
    Biggest load of crap I've ever read.

"because of Italian tradition"

Is that the nonsense you're bringing up? Get real. The Supercoppa Italiana is being played during these vacations, yet why aren't you protesting against it? Why isn't anyone claiming it should be shut down on the basis that it's the heat of vacations?

By the way, I agree that it would have been simpler to move the qualifiers back, but it most certainly wouldn't have been catastrophic in any way, shape, or form to anticipate the start of the season - especially by ONE game as it was requested. That's crap.

15. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't want to butt in on the arguing or anything but the simple answer to this one is that no one cares about the SuperCoppa. It's relatively new (created in 1988) and it's just a pre-season warm-up. The trophy means nothing. They could play the trophy on the first day of July and still people wouldn't care.

16. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A big thank you to uefa for booking italy against france then 3 days later against ukraine.....thanks again :mad: (trust me that was no mistake) and who else is sick of seeing italy and the ukraine play, this will be there 4th game in 2 years.

and another thanks to figc for not starting the season earlier which would have made sense because it could have given italy a extra week off for euro 2008. :mad:

17. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

W/Pippo Injured, I think the Don will call Bianchi to replace him.

18. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    Good start for both of them.

Both of them scored goals in their debuts.

Excellent.

19. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    DP, Laquinta, Buffon, Criscito,are getting in form...................

Criscito could be called by the DOn....

20. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nocerino was really impressive.

21. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree Cassano. He looks like our best pickup and with Donadoni in the stands today I would not be surprised if he gets a call.

22. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yep, he seems to have played himself into Juve's starting XI.

23. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    A lot of people are comparing him to Gattusso, but from what I've seen and heard of him it seems that he has more technical ability and skill than Gattusso has, or at least HAD at that age. Looks like the Azzurri midfield will be very solid in the next year or two with guys like Nocerino, Montolivo, Aquilani, Rosina, and Donadel ready to break in.

24. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I'm really happy that both Bianchi and Toni have immediately made their marks with their new teams. Great starts for both of them and from what I can tell I think both of them have guaranteed themselves starting spots for the time being.

What also surprised me is when Donadoni said that one of the players currently playing outside of Italy that he's following closely is none other than Giuseppe Rossi! Even last year when Donadoni was just starting out with the Azzurri he already spoke about his praise for Rossi, almost suggesting that he may be a potential senior call up sooner than we think!

25. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yeah, i have always liked nocerino, and at 22 after euro 2008, he will give gattuso a run for his money for world cup 2010 (as gattuso will be approaching the age where a d-mid starts to decline), and i hate to say it, but if they keep chiellini and with nocerino and criscito, and considering buffon is young for a keeper at 29, juve has a good young base to build from. i wouldn't be shocked if two if not all three of those youngsters are in juve's starting 11, and then a yougn guy like molinaro who i always thought was a good player, he should be better than balzaretti, who was always a little raw. add that to solid acquisitions like tiago, andrade, and almiron, and then some solid veterans from pre-calciopoli, and they have a team that can compete for europe this year, but also have a solid base to build from in the next couple of years.

i have to tip my cap to how they handled their offseason.