Italy's Class of '88 (U-19s) [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by SueB, Oct 21, 2004.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Italy is hosting next spring's UEFA U-17 Championship, so the U-17 team is not involved with qualifying. Therefore, they have to rely on friendlies to prepare. Next week, they are playing in the "Four Nations" (what an imaginative name) tournament in Spain, along with Portugal and Greece.

Italy plays Portugal on Oct 26 and then will face either Spain or Greece on Oct 28.

Here are the players called up for this friendly tournament:

Portieri: Frison (Treviso), Tornaghi (Inter);
    Difensori: Pierro (Salernitana), Brivio (Atalanta), Conte (Lecce), Cremonesi (Cremonese), De Silvestri (Lazio), Pavan (Padova), Renzetti (Genoa);
    Centrocampisti: Dambrosio (Salernitana), Greco (Lazio), Castiglia (Reggina), Del Sole (Parma), Mandorlini (Parma), Palermo (Roma), Russotto (Bellinzona);
    Attaccanti: Piccolo (Salernitana), Foti (Venezia).

BTW, unlike other age groups, Italy has no great history of success at this level, or at the U-16 level, which was the age UEFA used up until 2000. They only won it one time, in the first U-16 UEFA championship in 1982 (good year!). Italy has appeared in the final 4 other times, most recently in 1998, when they lost to Ireland. They also lost in 1993, to Poland, and in 1986, to Spain. In 1987, they had their victory in the final vs the Soviet Union stripped. I don't know the circumstances, but in age-level competitions, it usually involves the eligibility of a player.

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Re: Italy's U-17s [R]

I was right, here is what's listed at the FIGC site about that game:

"A CAUSA DELLA POSIZIONE IRREGOLARE GIOCATORE SECCI
    (FIORENTINA)ISCRITTO CON DATA NASCITA ERRATA CHE
    LO FACEVA RIENTRARE NEI LIMITI D`ETA` GLI AZZURRI
    PERDEVANO LA GARA 0-3 A TAVOLINO. TITOLO ALL`URSS"

3. Return

Return New Member

Aug 13, 2004

Russotto the midfielder who is actually owned by Lazio is supposedly a very good player at this level! I have not seen any of them though...

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  6. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

he is supposed to be a real star in the center of midfield (then again so was Baronio)..alas he was poached by dirty roma during Lazio's ownership change but I think there is still some dispute over this....

I dont know what level Bellinzona is at, but I guess here's on loan there...

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Bellinzona is actually in the Swiss second division.

8. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

The U-17 players called into training for Wednesday's friendly vs the Czech Republic:

Portieri: Frison (Treviso), Santarelli (Lazio);
    Difensori: Brivio (Atalanta), Cremonesi (Cremonese), De Silvestri (Lazio), Pavan (Padova), Pierro (Salernitana), Capanna (Piacenza);
    Centrocampisti: Di Gennaro (Milan), Greco (Lazio), Bacher (Sud Tirol), Cosentino (Juventus), Renzetti (Genoa), Russotto (Bellinzona), Mancosu (Cagliari);
    Attaccanti: Capogna (Lazio), Dalla Costa (Inter), Foti (Venezia).

9. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Result from Romans D'Isonzo:

Italy 1 Czech Republic 2

Russotto's 38th-minute goal put the Azzurrini ahead, but they gave up a quick equalizer and lost to a second-half strike by the Czechs.

Next friendly is Dec 22 in Turkey.

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Re: Italy's Class of '88 (U-17s) [R]

Somewhat interesting interview with U-17 coach Francesco Rocca:-

http://www.figc.it/english/archivio...embre_2004/011204_under_17/primo_piano_04.htm

Thought this was an interesting comment on the continuing question of whether Italian soccer places enough emphasis on developing creative players:-

"In the youth sector - continues Rocca - there are some very interesting players as far as quality is concerned, but if a player is good at dribbling but is late on the ball, no individual talent counts anymore."

I read this to say that tackling is more important than skill. :(

11. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Here are the players called into training for next week's friendly vs Turkey:-

Portieri: Tornaghi (Inter), Santarelli (Lazio);
    Difensori: Brivio (Atalanta), Cremonesi (Cremonese), De Silvestri (Lazio), Pierro (Salernitana), Conte (Lecce), Renzetti (Genoa);
    Centrocampisti: Di Gennaro (Milan), Greco (Lazio), Dambrosio (Salernitana), Del Sole (Parma), Palermo (Roma), Russotto (Bellinzona), Mancosu (Cagliari);
    Attaccanti: Piccolo (Salernitana), Dalla Costa (Inter), Foti (Venezia).

12. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Italy lost 3-1 in Turkey. The Turks scored 3 first-half goals while Di Gennaro got Italy's lone tally in the 57th minute.

13. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Although no more international friendlies are currently scheduled, the U-17s will be getting together for 4-day training sessions very frequently between now and the European Championships in May. There was a session this week, which culminated in a friendly match today with the local Promozione (5th division - check that, 6th division!!) side, Esperia Bisenzio. The U-17s won the match, 3-2, after falling behind 2-0 at halftime. Italy's goals were scored by Mancosu, Di Carmine and Tonucci.

I haven't seen a complete list of players called into the camp.

U-17 training camp schedule:-

Feb 6-9
    Feb 20-23
    Mar 6-9
    Mar 20-23
    April 3-6

The European championships take place in Tuscany May 3-14.

14. Return

Return New Member

Aug 13, 2004

It shows how young 17 really is. Many of these we cant tell until they are a bit older at least.

15. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

The draw for the Under-17 UEFA Championships will be held this Friday in Pisa. The teams that have qualified are Belarus, Croatia, England, Israel, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and Turkey. The tournament takes place May 3-14 at various locations in Tuscany.

16. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

The draw has been postponed until Saturday because the Pope's funeral is taking place on Friday.

17. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

The UEFA U-17 European championship draw took place today, and here are the groups:-

Group A
    Italy
    Turkey
    Belarus
    England

Group B
    Israel
    Swizerland
    Croatia
    Netherlands

Besides determining the European champion, this tournament will determine the three European teams to qualify for the FIFA U-17 World Championship in Peru this fall.

18. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

The way Rocca talks about dribbling and skill, as
    compared to fitness, reminds me of an American
    or English coach. That is really disappointing. And
    I've just been looking at Bruno Conti clips . . .

Is there a young prodigy in Italy now, SueB?

19. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

The way Rocca talks about dribbling and skill, as
    compared to fitness, reminds me of an American
    or English coach. That is really disappointing. And
    I've just been looking at Bruno Conti clips . . .

Is there a young prodigy in Italy now, SueB?

20. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Young prodigy? Nobody that I'm aware of, though that doesn't mean there isn't one. There are of course quite a few decent players at the U-21 and U-19 level. It'll be interesting to see how this U-17 team does, as the host of these European championships. Seems like they got a tough group although it's always hard to tell at this young age. The likes of Spain, Portugal, France, and Germany didn't even get to the finals!

21. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Here is the 23-man Italy squad for the European championships. Not sure if it'll have to be thinned down any further or if this is it:

Portieri: Frison (Treviso), Alfonso (Chievo Verona), Tornaghi (Inter);
    Difensori: Cremonesi (Cremonese), De Silvestri (Lazio), Franceschini (Lecce), Angelucci (Ternana), Tagliani (Brescia), Renzetti (Genoa), Brivio (Atalanta), Tonucci (Cesena);
    Centrocampisti: Greco (Lazio), Bacher (Sud Tirol), Castiglia (Reggina), Cia (Sud Tirol), Di Gennaro (Milan), Mancosu (Cagliari), Palermo (Roma);
    Attaccanti: Foti (Venezia), Dalla Costa (Inter), Di Carmine (Fiorentina), Maritato (Juventus), Russotto (Cisco Lodigiani).

22. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

If Diego Jr. is good enough, wouldn&t he be part of this group?

23. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Maradona Jr was born in 1986, so he'd be eligible for the U-19s at this point although he hasn't been called to any national team camps that I'm aware of. Remember, Italy's age-level teams are notoriously fond of hard-tackling "team" players, so if he's anything like his dad (stylistically, I mean; obviously he can't be the same talent), he wouldn't stand a chance.

24. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY

3 teams qualify, so the top team in each group qualify automaticly and the 2 second place finishers have a one game playoff in Italy? or a home and home 2 game playoff like they do in CONCACAF?

Not knowing the talent of these teams it does look as Group A is much stronger.

25. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY

Is he still playing? I remeber some talk about him giving up soccer and trying his hand at Basketball? Last I heard was that he was in Scottland trying out for a team