Italy's Class of '86-'87 (U-20s) [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by SueB, Oct 26, 2004.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    The U-18 age group is not emphasized much by the Italian federation because there is no UEFA or world championship. They get together for occasional friendlies and small tournaments. Still, I'm sure nobody was thrilled with today's result:-

Italy 0 Czech Republic 4

http://www.figc.it/italiano/archivio_notizie_2004/archivio_ottobre_2004/261004_under_18/breve_06.htm

Rossi is US-born Giuseppe Rossi, who is currently with Manchester United's reserve team. I don't have a list of the starters, but here is the squad:

Portieri: Consigli (Atalanta), Bindi (Inter), Serena (Piacenza);
    Difensori: Frassetto (Milan), Astori (Milan), Castroni (Lazio), Freddi (Roma), Rossi Marco (Parma), Tedeschi (Bologna), Ungaro (Reggina);
    Centrocampisti: Dessena (Parma), Candreva (Terzana), Iachemet (Verona), Vincenzi (Bologna), Rosi (Roma);
    Attaccanti: Acquafresca (Torino), Rossi Giuseppe (Manchester United), Momentè (Inter), Stanco (Modena), Ardemagni (Milan).

Italy plays the Czechs again on Thursday.

2. Return

Return New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Re: Italy's U-18s [R]

Yes Italy lost 0-4 but Italy did not look like a 0-4 loss team I heard. They hit the post 3 times and it was one of them matches were a teams win by alot but only by luck... still the Czechs were better according to the person who watched the match but Rossi who is undoubtedly the best player of this age group was the best Italy player as expected!

They play again tomorrow and I wouldnt read too mcuh into the matches at this level!

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Italy plays a friendly vs France in Le Mans on Wednesday. Here is the roster called up by coach Antonio Rocca:-

Portieri: Consigli (Atalanta), Sirigu (Venezia);
    Difensori: Belmonte (Bari), Astori (Milan), Rinaldi (Atalanta), Rossi (Parma), Tedeschi (Bologna), Ungaro (Reggina);
    Centrocampisti: Conean (Venezia), Filippini (Atalanta), Moracci (Chievo Verona), Palazzo (Inter), Iachemet (Verona), Candreva (Ternana), Osso Armellino (Udinese);
    Attaccanti: Stanco (Modena), Momentè (Inter), Soddimo (Sampdoria), Tiboni (Atalanta).

5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

The qualifying draw for the 2005-6 U-19 European championship was held today. These guys will probably form the basis of that team when qualifying starts next fall. Italy's group also includes Ireland, Northern Ireland, and Moldova.

6. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Re: Italy's Class of '87 (U-18s) [R]

Italy beat France 1-0.

Slim details at www.figc.it -

Goal was by Filippini in the 53rd minute. Italy's Candreva was sent off after picking up a second yellow in the 76th minute. Keeper Consigli saved a French PK in the 87th minute to preserve the victory. Interesting that some 11,000 French fans showed up for the game, which was played in Le Mans.

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

The U-18s had a match today vs Lodigiani's primavera squad, which the national team won handily (and not surprisingly) by a score of 7-1. I didn't see a list of the called-up players anywhere, but the goals were scored by Cerci (4), Florian, Filippini and Giovinco. Next international friendly for this team is vs Switzerland on March 2 in Montecatini.

8. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Here are the players called up for the U-18 team's friendly match vs Switzerland, being played Wednesday in Montecatini:

Difensori: Castroni (Lazio), Astori (Milan), Rinaldi (Atalanta), Rossi (Parma), Tedeschi (Bologna), Freddi (Roma);
    Centrocampisti: Giovinco (Juventus), Marsili (Roma), Palazzo (Inter), Iachemet (Verona), Mondini (Milan), Paonessa (Bologna);
    Attaccanti: Cerci (Roma), Florian (Treviso), Acquafresca (Torino), Filippini (Atalanta).

9. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

This game will be shown live on RAI Sport Satellite Wednesday at 9 am EST.

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Italy won the game, 3-1. I tried tuning in but couldn't get a picture, just audio. I couldn't quite catch the full starting lineup. I know Consigli started in goal and Astori, Rinaldi and Tedeschi were three of the 4 defenders with Paonessa in midfield and Filippini and Florian up front. Switzerland scored first but Paonessa tied it on a free kick, then Florian got Italy's last two goals.

Next matches for the U-18 is a pair of friendlies on Mar 18 and 20 in Belgium.

11. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

I was wrong about the dates of the Belgium games - they are the 28th and 30th. Here is the squad that has been called in:

Difensori: D'Andrea (Lazio), Freddi (Roma), Rinaldi (Atalanta), Rossi Marco (Parma), Tedeschi (Bologna), Ungaro (Reggina);
    Centrocampisti: Candreva (Ternana), Marsili (Roma), Iachemet (Verona), Palazzo (Inter), Paonessa (Bologna), Bellazzini (Fiorentina);
    Attaccanti: Acquafresca (Torino), Filippini (Atalanta), Florian (Treviso), Giovinco (Juventus), Rossi Giuseppe (Manchester United), Lupoli (Arsenal).

I see Rossi and Lupoli have been called home from their English clubs for these two.

12. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Don't know the lineups, but Italy won the first match in Belgium 1-0 on a goal by Lupoli.

13. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

1-0 was also the result in the second game vs Belgium. Again, no lineups available, but Paonessa has the goal.

14. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Another U-18 friendly this Wednesday vs Austria. Here is the squad for this one:

Portieri: Consigli (Atalanta), Sirigu ((Venezia);
    Difensori: Castroni (Lazio), D'Andrea (Lazio), Rinaldi (Atalanta), Tedeschi (Bologna), Ungaro (Reggina);
    Centrocampisti: Bellazzini (Fiorentina), Candreva (Ternana), Filippini (Atalanta), Iachemet (Verona), Marsili (Roma), Palazzo (Inter), Paonessa (Bologna);
    Attaccanti: Acquafresca (Torino), Del Sante (Perugia), Florian (Treviso), Giovinco (Juventus), Maniero (Juventus)

15. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Another positive result for the U-18s, as they defeated Austria 4-0. The goals -

2' - Acquafresca
    28' - Filippini
    31' - Paonessa
    23' - Giovinco

Acquafresca's name is interesting - it's not "Roberto", it's "Robert". He's on Torino's primavera squad. Alberto Filippini plays for Atalanta's primavera squad - hard to find info on him without getting deluged with info on the famous Filippini twins. Gabriele Paonessa is already making appearances with Bologna's first squad and is coveted by many big teams, while Sebastian Giovinco plays for Juventus' primavera team and was MVP of the Carlin's Boys di tournament held last August in San Remo.

Found this interesting article about Paonessa and another promising youngster, Michele Paolucci of the U-19 teams, apparently linked because of the similarity of their names, thus called the "Pao-boys".

http://www.gollevante.it/notizie.php?s=1&ic=27&in=270
    Sebastian Giovinco

16. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

Is Marco Rossi related to Giuseppe Rossi?
    Seeing as they share family name and come from the same club ..

17. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Rossi is the most common surname in Italy (especially northern italy). A bit like Smith in the english speaking countries.

Sig. Rossi = Mr. Smith

18. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

The U-18s have convened in Macerata for a friendly match against the "Top 11 Juniors" of Serie D, scheduled for June 2. Here are the players called for this match:

PORTIERI Russo Danilo (Genoa), Menegon Andrea (Calcio Padova)

DIFENSORI D'Andrea Giordano (S.S. Lazio), Castroni Claudio (S.S. Lazio), Rossi Marco (F.C. Parma), Tedeschi Luca (Bologna), Ungaro Gaetano (Reggina), Bastrini Alessandro (Como)

CENTROCAMPISTI Candreva Antonio (Ternana), Dessena Daniele (Parma), Iachemet Nicola (H. Verona), Savi Filippo (F.C. Parma), Paonessa Gabriele (Bologna FC), Bellazzini Tommaso (Fiorentina), Cotelessa Giacomo (Genoa), Conean Luca (AC Venezia)

ATTACCANTI Acquafresca Robert (Torino), Florian Damien (Treviso), Giovinco Sebastian (FC Juventus), Lupoli Arturo (FC Arsenal)

19. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Meanwhile, the Under 18 Amateur team has convened for an international tournament in Salerno. The face Malta today, then Greece and Northern Ireland. The other group consists of England, Spain, Romania and San Marino.

These players have been called by coach Roberto Polverelli. They come from teams in Serie D, as well as the Eccellenza and Promozione leagues (Italy's 5th, 6th and 7th division):

Portieri: Striatto (San Donà), Del Dotto (Montemurlo).
    Difensori: Molisso (Vico Equense), Cola (Valverde), Perricone (Alcamo), Mora (San Secondo Parmense), Gritti (Ponte San Pietro), Brandi (Sangimignano), Corral Pinero (Varese). Centrocampisti: Zamboni (Canavese), Maruggi (Crevalcore), Nughes (Celano), Pellegrino (Alessandria), Coppola (Lanciotto Campi), Pisano (Varese).
    Attaccanti: Chiarelli (Fortis Juventus), Zito (Sorrento), Morga (Tor di Quinto), Petitti (San Giustese), Paci (Virus Villa).

I recognize the name of Francesco Morga who had supposedly transferred from Tor di Quinto to Lokomotiv Moscow last winter. I guess that didn't work out.

20. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Italy's amateur U-18 team won the European Amateur Championship, beating Romania 2-1 in the final. Nughes and Morga scored the goals for Italy, which won the title for the 5th time. Here's how the whole tournament went:

Group A
    Italy 7
    Northern Ireland 3
    Greece 2
    Malta 2

Northern Ireland 1 Greece 1
    Italy 3 Malta 1
    Northern Ireland 1 Italy 1
    Greece 0 Malta 0
    Italy 6 Greece 1
    Northern Ireland 0 Malta 0

Group B
    Romania 9
    England 6
    Spain 3
    San Marino 0

England 1 Romania 3
    San Marino 0 Spain 3
    England 3 Spain 0
    Romania 3 San Marino 1
    Spain 0 Romania 4
    England 3 San Marino 0

3rd-place Match
    Northern Ireland 0 England 3

Championship Match
    Italy 2 Romania 1

Italy was led in the tournament by 3 goals from Pellegrino and 2 from Morga. Gritti, Petitti, Perricone, Coppola and Nughes had one apiece.

21. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Re: Italy's Class of '87 (U-19s) [R]

The '87s are now Italy's U-19 team. In preparation for 2006 U-19 UEFA Championship qualifying, Italy has two friendlies scheduled with Ukraine on September 13th and 15th. I believe the first qualifying stage takes place in Ireland in October.

22. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Robert Acquafresca, who is owned by Inter, has been loaned to Treviso for the upcoming season. Still waiting to see the first callups for the new batch of U-19s. I imagine there will also be quite a few '88s on the squad as well.

23. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

First U-19 training camp of the fall supposedly began today and continues through Wednesday, but I haven't seen a complete list of who has been called in. Here's what I've gleaned from various club sites -

Treviso - Robert Acquafresca and Damien Florian
    Atalanta - Andrea Consigli and Alberto Filippini
    Udinese - Michele Rinaldi
    Parma - Daniele Dessena, Filippo Savi, Marco Rossi
    Ternana - Antonio Candreva, Marco dell'Uomo, Raffaele Perna

24. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

I saw a report that there are 28 (!) players in camp. Wish FIGC would publish a full list. I haven't seen anything from ManU or Arsenal about Rossi or Lupoli being there. I know Arsenal's Reserve squad has a game on Tuesday while ManU's has a game on Thursday, so they may not have been released.

25. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Here are the players called into camp for the Ukraine friendlies next week by u-19 coach Paolo Berrettini:

Portieri: Consigli (Atalanta), Sirigu (Palermo);
    Difensori: Belmonte (Bari), Freddi (Roma), Rinaldi (Udinese), Rossi Marco (Parma), Semenzato (Inter), Tedeschi (Bologna);
    Centrocampisti: Candreva (Ternana), Della Rocca (Bologna), Dessena (Parma), Marsili (Roma), Rosi (Roma), Savi (Parma);
    Attaccanti: Acquafresca (Treviso), Ardemagni (Milan), Lupoli (Arsenal), Momentè (Inter).

Interesting that he has called Arturo Lupoli from Arsenal but not Giuseppe Rossi. Wonder if it was a case of ManU not releasing him or what.