Italy's Class of '83-'84 (2006 U-21s) [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by SueB, May 6, 2004.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Re: Italy's Class of '83-'84 (U-21s) [R]

Sure, Chiellini will almost certainly be called up for Norway - he started and impressed against Scotland during Zambrotta's suspension. I think he's going to be a full national team squad regular for a long time.

2. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I agree. And it means he'll have to sit on the bench, unless
    Lippi can convert Zambrotta to a midfielder, or figure out some
    other solution.

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Alberto Aquilani was injured playing for Roma today and will miss the trip to Norway. In his place, Gentile has called Chievo's Paolo Sammarco into camp.

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

First loss the 2006 European championships qualifying campaign for Italy's U-21s. They lost to Norway today, 1-0. An article and the table:

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/Under21/fixturesresults/round=1910/match=74350/Report=RP.html

NORVEGIA-ITALIA 1-0 (primo tempo 0-0)
    MARCATORE: Riise al 33’ s.t.
    NORVEGIA (4-2-3-1): Jarstein; Eriksen (Skjonsberg dal 1’ s.t.), Onstad, Steenslid, Bertelsen; Grindheim, Moen; Riise, Strand (Hauger dal 23’ s. t.), Holm; Myklebust (Poljac dal 34’ s.t.). ALLENATORE: Thoresen. PANCHINA: Austebo, Gabrielsen, Sokolowski, Hamoud. NOTE Espulsi: nessuno. Ammoniti: Skjonsberg per gioco scorretto. Angoli: 2. Tiri in porta: 4. Tiri fuori: 2. Falli commessi: 18. In fuorigioco: 0.
    ITALIA (4-4-2): Curci; Motta, Pagano, Mantovani, Potenza; Rosina (Pepe dal 20’ s.t.), Montolivo (Loviso dal 30’ s.t.), Donadel, Pagano; Pazzini, Bianchi. ALLENATORE: Gentile. PANCHINA: Berni, Capelli, Marchese, Lazzari, Mannini. NOTE Espulsi: nessuno. Ammoniti: Pazzini per gioco scorretto, Piccolo per comportamento non regolamentare. Angoli: 5. Tiri in porta: 4. Tiri fuori: 2. Falli commessi: 10. In fuorigioco: 5.
    ARBITRO: VAN DE VELDE (Belgio). Recuperi: 1’ e 3’. Spettatori: 2000 circa.

Italy remains in strong position to win the group with 15 pts to Norway's 10 with 4 matches to play.

5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

For the sake of clarity, I've decided to split out all the posts about the "experimental" U-21 team that participated in the Mediterranean Games. Their experience was, um, newsworthy in itself. Anyway, here is that thread:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214505

6. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Italy's U-21s have a friendly match vs France scheduled for August 16, ahead of the next two European qualifiers in September. The game will be played in Libourne. France is currently second to Israel in its U-21 qualifying group although they have two games in hand. As U-19s two years ago, both France and Italy qualified for the 8-team UEFA finals although Italy won the title and France finished last in their group.

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Here are Gentile's callups for the France friendly:

Portieri: Berni (Ternana), Curci (Roma) Difensori: Canini (Cagliari), Bovo (Roma), Mantovani (Torino), Marchese (Torino), Motta (Udinese), Piccolo (Lazio), Potenza (Maiorca) Centrocampisti: Aquilani (Roma), Donadel (Fiorentina), Lazzari (Atalanta), Loviso (Bologna), Montolivo (Atalanta), Rosina (Parma), Sammarco (Chievo) Attaccanti: Bianchi (Atalanta), Pagano (Bari), Pazzini (Fiorentina), Pepe (Palermo)

The only newcomer from the ranks of the U-20 team that played in the WYC is Cagliari defender Michele Canini.

8. Regency

Regency Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Toronto

This game is on Rai International.

2:30 pm Eastern

9. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Azzurini v. France [R]

1-0 for Italy at halftime of the U-21 Friendly with France. France has been dominating, but Italy scored off of a corner in first half stoppage time. Piccolo scored. Rosina is porbably the best for Italy, he is a very talented player. I think he's with Parma this season...

10. Regency

Regency Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Toronto
    Re: Azzurini v. France [R]

Nice to see a Lazio player score!!

11. INTER4LIFE

INTER4LIFE BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 10, 2005
    TORONTO

2-2 final, intersting fight near the end there, coaches up and everything

12. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Nice game, interesting contest between two of the top player European nations in terms of player development. France always seemed a little bit more dangerous from open play, but Italy's set pieces evened it up.

I've often been impressed by Rosina's skill with the U-21s. I don't know if he's just too small to perform at the same level in Serie A or what. I was shocked when Parma loaned him down to Verona last season (as if Parma was full of depth). There were rumors he'd go to Lazio. We'll see how he does this year.

I also like the way Montolivo plays - a big guy with great touch and vision. However, I've never seen him put together a full 90 minutes of that, just flasheds of brilliance. It's a shame he'll be toiling in Serie B for Atalanta this season.

Piccolo got Italy's first goal from a mix - then he got burned on France's second with a bad missed tackle to spring the breakaway.

Overall, a good test for the team ahead of the final stretch of European qualifying. Frankly, the team doens't inspire me that much despite their great record in qualifying, probably because they don't have a great striker like the last U-21s did with Gilardino. In fact, it'd be nice to see Graziano Pelle' given a chance on this squad. Perhaps if he makes a mark at Lecce this year.

I'll post a game table when I find one.

13. kisiox11

kisiox11 New Member

Jul 7, 2005
    Chicago, IL

Does anyone have the lineups for this game? I can not find them anywhere.

14. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy

About Rosina, he got the chance to start for Parma at the beginning of last year but failed to have any real impact and was often subbed out. He's a talent often compared to Miccoli, just that he lacks 'concretezza'-- substance or concreteness. He needs to develop a bit. I think his time will come though, after all Miccoli himself was considered a late bloomer.

15. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

This was Italy's starting eleven (4-2-3-1):

1 - Curci
    2 - Potenza
    3 - Bovo
    4 - Piccolo
    5 - Mantovani
    6 - Donadel
    7 - Motta
    8 - Sammarco
    9 - Bianchi
    10 - Montolivo
    11 - Rosina

In the first half, Sammarco and Donadel played in the middle behind Montolivo with Rosina on the left and Motta on the right and Bianchi was a lone striker. I didn't write down all the subs, but I can go back to my tape and find them.

Pazzini is disqualified for the Scotland game, so that's why the test with a new formation. But Gentile reverted to his favored 4-4-2 in the second half, bringing in Pepe alongside of Bianchi. FIGC game report here:

http://www.figc.it/italiano/primo_piano_01/primo_piano_01.htm

16. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Isn't Bianchi (at this level, at least) a killer striker?

17. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

He's certainly got loads of potential. 25 appearances at Cagliari and only 2 goals doesn't prove a lot. I know sardus pater thought the world of him, but I haven't seen him called a new Gilardino JUST yet. I hope he has a breakout year at Reggina! But he certainly didn't do much up front on his own yesterday - which Gila had to do plenty of times last year at Parma - and he may have to do in Reggio.

18. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Ho hum. :rolleyes:

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/aug17d.html

19. INTER4LIFE

INTER4LIFE BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 10, 2005
    TORONTO

what a load of crap

20. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

He has excellent technique. He is a great dribbler (he performed atleast 4 nutmegs yesterday), and has loads of creativity. He does remind me of Miccoli.

21. kisiox11

kisiox11 New Member

Jul 7, 2005
    Chicago, IL

Thank you for the lineup. I could not find it anywhere for some reason. Usually Channel 4 has something.

22. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

ahh perfect, he'll fit in great at Lazio this campaign ;)

I'm very curious about this Rosina, whether he gets a shot at playing this year at Parma...Lazio is said to be pushing for some kind of co-ownership deal which sees him play in rome this yr.

23. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Just to add in Italy's substitutes -

46' - Marchese replaced Mantovani
    54' - Pagano replaced Motta
    59' - Pepe replaced Montolivo
    78' - Pazzini replaced Bianchi

Disappointing performance from Motta, who was moved up from right back to right midfield. The announcers seemed to be saying he'd had a poor match vs Norway in the last qualifier (which Italy lost), so perhaps Gentile was thinking he'd do better in a more specifically attack role. But it didn't work at all. He's a back.

As for the French coach's comments, it was a nasty little to-do. Frankly, I didn't see where Ribary got injured. Potenza grabbed him by the shirt to prevent a breakout in the last few minutes, and the French player responded by taking a swing (which missed). Potenza shoved him, and then the whole melee started with other players joining in. I thought the ref made the right call - Potenza deserved a booking for the foul and another for the shove (hence, red). Ribary was also sent off - I agree with that, too, since he took a swing. And I guess the French coach was sent off for arguing.

24. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

France clearly were the better team, they put more pressure and italy let a lead slip 1-0 to 2-1 we tied it up on a lucky pk that we had no chance of scoring on. just the way italy plays lately, bad play good results.

25. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

I disagree that France were "clearly the better team". They seemed more dangerous in open play, as I said before, but IMO it was an even game overall. Italy's PK was a helpful call but not something out of nothing. Pepe had clear position to get to the cross and was bowled over from behind.

If you're looking for flair, a Claudio Gentile-coached team is not the place to look. :D