Italy vs Sweden

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Rosay, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    @indestructible should be happy he got the thread title changed. ********en whiner

indestructible and gumbacicc repped this.
  2. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    There was almost no difference in our style today and what we did against Belgium. The difference was our opponents. Belgium pushed forward much more allowing our strikers more space; hence, why we produced more chances. Sweden's defenders did not allow our attackers the same freedom because they defended deep and in numbers.

3. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I would have gone with Meatballs v Ikea personally.

4. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    Really get a clue. Belgium was a disaster tactically and Italy exposed them. Their defenders constantly made mistakes and the entire team really didn't know how to play together. Sweden today even though they really needed a win more than we did did not give us nearly the opportunities to score that Belgium did. When you have the limited offensive talent that we do there is not much you can do to generate chances against teams that don't send a lot of numbers forward.

Pietro Calcio, Rosay and gumbacicc repped this.
  5. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I never lose!

el napulitan repped this.
  6. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yeah true...of course

but I wouldn't go so far as to say he was the difference maker and the reason we won

that match had draw written all over it with the exception of a few chances

gumbacicc repped this.
  7. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    This. We're winning because our backline and De Rossi have been exceptional thus far; the rest of the team is working hard; and we have taken a chance or two in each game.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  8. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #208 totti fan, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    Italian Heatmap v Belgium:
    upload_2016-6-18_2-15-4.png

Italian Heatmap v Sweden:
    upload_2016-6-18_2-16-23.png

The yellow and red shows we were pushing forward more v Sweden.

9. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    but Candreva/Jak and Florenzi (today) have been busy and strong. Pelle has been poor over the two matches. Zaza should start from now on and hopefully that will make a difference.

Rosay repped this.
  10. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    The heat maps don't show the numbers with which the Swedes defended as opposed to the Belgians. The Belgians were far more tactically naive than the Swedes.

11. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'd agree with this more or less. Results are one thing, but fans don't come to see Chiellini trying to play long-balls everywhere.

el napulitan repped this.
  12. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Agreed as to Pelle. He scored the goal against the Belgians, but he has been largely useless. I would give Zaza or Immobile a shot. I think Eder earned himself another start with that great goal today.

Rosay repped this.
  13. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    They eat more meatballs in Sweden than Italy.

calabrese8, Rosay and totti fan repped this.
  14. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO

"Poi cerca ancora Zaza. Bella la sponda di Zaza...Eder si infila uno contro uno...Eder ce l'ha...Eder...Eder...Edeeeeeeeeerrrr *** 1 a O.

calabrese8 and Rosay repped this.
  15. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree with that. But note I'm referring to Italy's tactics.

16. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member

Mar 29, 2015
    #216 Azzurrifan87, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    Parolo is so bad...it's laughable.

I'm enjoying this run though. It's comical bc our midfield is equivalent to a dog turd melting in the Roman summer.

This tourney is proving tactical discipline and heart trump "beautiful" football.

Also Italy are exposing the wankers 1 by 1. First, Wilmot said Belgium deserved a draw. And now Guidetti has said Sweden played extraordinary enough to win.

el napulitan and Pietro Calcio repped this.
  17. Marco91

Marco91 Member+

Mar 12, 2016
    At home
    Club:
    Dijon FCO
    Lol enough to win or to get a draw? He must be confused...

18. Slap the Floor

Slap the Floor New Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    His goal aside, Pelle has been very mediocre. I would like to Zaza replace Pelle there in the starting lineup. I'm okay with keeping Eder starting, he works his tail off. I think Immobile is best served off of the bench. I think he provides more creativity and skill than Zaza/Pelle/Eder, and considering how demanding Conte is (good thing) I'd prefer a workhorses like Zaza and Eder out there to start. Zaza wasn't great, but he did provide the touch to Eder which led to the goal, and I thought he was fairly more active and involved than Pelle was. Even though he has a goal, I've grown tired of Pelle already. He's quite frustrating to watch.

In regards to the tactics, I don't know what some of you think we should be doing. Conte is playing to our strengths, which is the best defense in the tournament. We are playing defensive, and then getting out on the counter, and when we possess it well, we work up the field in numbers. It's the absolute best strategy for this team. If we had Verratti and Marchisio starting in the midfield, I think one could make a strong argument that Italy should open the game up a bit more, but we don't have either one, so why should? This is a flawed team. We don't have creativity in the midfield, and we don't have good goal scorers up front. What we do have is a tremendous backline/keeper, strong defensive midfielders that work their tails off, and attackers that while limited in skill, work as much as possible despite their limitations.

What really irks me is that the same people complaining about this Italy team lacks quality, and is one of the least talented teams in Italy history, are also complaining about the tactics. It's as if some of you will never be satisfied, and are just always finding something to whine about. We do lack quality in the attack, and we don't have creative midfielders, so therefore, our strategy and style of play is spot on. If you don't have creative midfielders and attackers what should you do? Defend. That's what we are doing. It's the right strategy, and we are winning. For those reasons, it's mind boggling people are complaining as much as they are.

19. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member

Mar 29, 2015
    “I think that we played extraordinarily well,” striker Guidetti told reporters in Toulouse.

"It was a perfect first half performance with 60 per cent possession, so we were only missing a goal."

Guidetti clearly subscribes to the Marc Wilmots school of wankerball

Rosay and Marco91 repped this.
  20. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    and Sweden weren't diving themselves....c' mon man?....I saw enough theatrics on both sides and the bit at the end of injury time by Sweden trying to get a penalty takes the cake

always about diving with you....and always mysteriously one sided?

who is we?

Rosay repped this.
  21. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    We've heard a lot of criticism regarding our side. I'm wondering what people think of the other so-called favorites in this tournament so far. Germany hasn't impressed. Neither has France. Spain was ok. Portugal LOL. At least we are on six points with a side not considered to be among the favorites.

Rosay repped this.
  22. paa10

paa10 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    After watching today.... heres a few things.

Eder got lucky and so did we... He has been quite sloppy, slow, bad first touch, and weak in making runs.

Giorgio is really off his game, his first touch is slow and not good, his passing is sloppy and he tries to force the ball into tight spots which our idiot forwards do not run to nor is their first touch worth anything. He plays like he is hurt or his cleats are too tight.

Pelle is complete meh, He had a lucky strike in the first game but he does not hold the ball up, bad first touch, unable to shield the ball much less dribble it, I hope we swap Zaza for him, Simone plays with a chip on his shoulder and we need that badly with a weak midfield.

Giac and Parolo are way below par, aside from the Giac cross to Marco off the bar, the rest of their play on the field was very weak and a big reason why we had no midfield or final third presence.

De Rossi looked solid for what is asked of him but hes def past his prime and is reliable, tho his diving on occasion is really hard to take him serious as a so called leader on this team. He also plays wreckless, he was lucky not to get carded on that nasty slide tackle on the stork.

This Team would do well to have either Insigne or El Shar to give us some one who can add a threatening play up top because it has litteraly been nearly non existent in both games.

Bonnuci and Barzaglia have been reliable and a big reason for the shut outs, Buffon has not been called upon a whole lot but hes been solid and above par as usual.

It was frustrating to see Conte make such late subs this game when what we were doing was clearly not working, Typical of him but he has got us this far and did the same with Juve tho just like in CL with Juve, this will not cut it in the knock out rounds.

I hope to see some new faces vs Ireland to rest the vets and also see if any of the kids can be relied upon since qualification guaranteed

Ireland would be a great test for guys like Ciro, Insigne, El Shar, Stuaro, Florenzi.... they are very physical and gave us a very rough time last time we played them.

23. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    clearly lacking shots on goal ( over both games ) will lead to missing goals....what a douche

Rosay repped this.
  24. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member

Mar 29, 2015
    How is a beautiful goal lucky? Eder sucked up to that point, but his goal was beautiful and intentional. In a world where we call Gareth Bale brilliant for scoring a dog shit free kick, Eder deserves credit for doing his best Roby Baggio homage. Get out of here with this luck nonsense.

totti fan, Rosay and Pietro Calcio repped this.
  25. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Lol Wilmots and Guidetti deserve each other

Rosay and Pietro Calcio repped this.