Italy vs Spain & Germany: Friendlies Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This isnt an all-star game.

Rosay repped this.
  2. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are you saying Iaquinta was a quality forward option? Really?

3. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I'm not sure that the German squad is an example of a success-building model for us. Germany won the last World Cup because they had a squad full of world class talent from teams like Bayern, Dortmund and the odd Real Madrid or other top club player. Look at our squad. The only players who play for major clubs are the Juve players and Verratti. You typically win international tournaments because you have a great group of players; not because you are molding mediocrity into a fluid, cohesive unit.

totti fan repped this.
  4. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Iaquinta is on par with what we have now. We don't have any Del Pieros, Tottis or Inzaghis.

Stamos repped this.
  5. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    This is not a club.

6. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He was back then... he played his role well in that world cup.. he wasn't going to start games but he came in as a super sub and ran the tired defences into the ground

7. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    how about 2012 then?

8. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'm not sure that the German squad is an example of a success-building model for us. Germany won the last World Cup because they had a squad full of world class talent from teams like Bayern, Dortmund and the odd Real Madrid or other top club player. Look at our squad. The only players who play for major clubs are the Juve players and Verratti. You typically win international tournaments because you have a great group of players; not because you are molding mediocrity into a fluid, cohesive unit.[/QUOTE]

Great typical Italian response. Young players in the 20-24 year old range are now deemed forever mediocre. Is it possible that as a country, Italy does a bad job developing these players. Even the great Italian teams of yesteryear had problems nurturing young players who had to wait their turn until 26-27. That model is outdated these days, and Serie A has made it worse. Mario Goetze is basically unwanted at Bayern. He won't be resigned, yet has something like 50 caps at 23 years of age for Germany. Far from world class, but nurtured into an important national team player due to good coaching/planning. The fact your already dismissing young Italian players before they even get a chance to make their mark renders your opinion on such matters inconsequential.

krado33 repped this.
  9. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I do watch the games. I missed the Germany game because I couldn't find a reliable stream. I watched the Spain game in italy. And yes I think the so called idiots who think this team can't make it out of the groups are just ********en naysayers. I like Montolivo. He should be included in the squad because I believe he has alot to offer.

Dage repped this.
  10. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    World Cup 2010 speaks for itself when he was leading our line

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #436 falvo, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    Iaquinta from at least 2002-2010 was highly regarded. I remember how the announcers were going on and on about him when I lived in Italy and how he was from Cutro in an U21 game around 2002. That goal against Ghana in 2006 , 19 minutes after coming on was a thing of beauty. I heard Antonio Conte talking about him but then he never really played him at Juve and his career pretty much stalled at age 30-31 in 2011. I think he could have played on but I guess it wasn't to be. Sad because he was a great talent and better (then) than any of Italy's current forwards.

Rosay repped this.
  12. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Like so many other coaches.

Was looking at some highlights again today and man did Montolivo ever f-up that slide tackle letting Draxler behind him for a 4 on 3 and forcing Bonucci to extend himself to try and stop Draxler and ultimately injuring himself. Thanks Ricky!

No offense because your team deserved the win, and I think you also have more depth but I don't think that the likes of World Champions like Muller, Ozil, Kroos, Hummels, Draxler, Gotze and new regulars like Reus and ter Stegen are actually B players.

This is also no excuse, and not really a message for you but some of the fans here who continue to believe that injecting one promising youngster, or many, is going to translate into instant success. It won't, and yesterday is proof.

We need the veterans like Marchisio, Bonnuci and Chiellini no matter how much some of you hate Juve. Conte was probably going with Motta and Monto hoping for veteran leadership but it failed obviously. The front line played together for the first time really (yes they came on as subs and featured in the goal against Spain) and our make shift defense was laughable.

It's not the end of the world either.

One more thing, how many people would be crying that we were playing old school catennacio if we fielded a 5-4-1. It didn't look too defensive for the Germans did it? The way a team lines up isn't the only thing that dictates tactics.

/rant

13. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    But it was Pirlo who made it look so simple.

Rosay repped this.
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah Pirlo passed it I believe but Iaquinta did all the running. Granted he had fresh legs but still, that was an incredible goal!

15. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    With Neuer, Boateng, Schweinsteiger, Khedira, Höwedes, 5 out of 11 players missed the match. That's pretty much what I would call a B-team. But we have depth, no doubt.

16. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Well, fair enough, with that assessment I might call ours a C team then. :)

Falc repped this.
  17. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Pirlo also took away the ball from the Ghana player and then sent a perfect curved pass to Iaquinta. Iaquinta got lucky in that the defender misplaced the ball. Great goal.

Rosay repped this.
  18. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Guys c'mon. Forget about Eder, I honestly think he lost his place. Say compare del piero, totti, Toni, gilardino with insigne, pelle, candereva, and bernardeschi. You are right 2006 was considerably better but Messi, Ronaldo, and maybe robben are the only players in this generation that are better than our 2006 attack force. We just don't produce players that level for any team.

Let's look at 2012 Italy. I do think insigne is better than Cassano. Bernardeschi is better than di Natale. Pelle and balotelli were maybe about the same but pelle is by far more of a team player.

19. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yeah it's also poor how much young Italian players get critiqued... mostly by Italian media. And when the national team fails, you get veterans come out and blame the youngsters. The pressure out there is over the top, when compared to how other leagues/countries treat their youth.

Rosay repped this.
  20. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen

21. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    And Italy has. Basically a second rate team. If your football is going to s**t, how about taking some direction from other countries.

22. bachir

bachir Member

Jul 21, 2007
    If we can get to the summer with a healthy Darmain, Florenzi, Verratti and Marchisio making up some variation of our midfield, then I like our chances to compete with anyone. I'd also love to have Pirlo on the bench as insurance (He probably doesn't have the legs to play the whole tournament).

At forward, we just have to pray that someone gets hot (see Mario at the last Euro). I think the guy that has the best chance of turning it on and carrying the team is Giovinco. But I'm not sure he's an option.

Rosay repped this.
  23. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Probably on par with this side. However, I would argue that the 2012 side actually had a significantly better attack with an in-form Balotelli and an in-form Cassano. I don't see any reason why this side cannot make a nice run like that side did. However, this side, just as that 2012 side, is hardly of the same caliber as most of our sides in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s.

24. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Giovinco is going to France if he keeps his form up

25. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    #450 gumbacicc, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    @Nek Sanalet

"Italy" doesn't do a bad job developing players. It is the job, first and foremost, of clubs to develop their players. You point me to the international side that has had more to do with a player's development than that player's club. Players spend the majority of their time with their respective clubs.

You picked a lousy example in Goetze. Goetze was an exceptional talent with Dortmund before moving on to Bayern where he fell out of favor given the other brilliant options they have, i.e., Douglas Costa, Robben, Muller, Ribery, Coman, etc. I would argue he is world class. He is still an exceptional player who continues to be sought out by quality sides. I imagine that he will find a better fit this summer and continue to excel.

When did I dismiss young Italian players? All I am saying is that you do not typically win major tournaments unless you have world class players at big clubs. We don't, at least not to the same extent that we used to. I challenge you to show me the sides that are the exception to that. I can only think of Greece and Denmark at the Euros. That's it.

Your view that a national side can be successful by attempting to nurture and cultivate young players alla a club side is fantasy.