Italy vs. Netherlands friendly - 06-02-2013

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Feb 5, 2013.

?

Will Netherlands beat Italy in this friendly?

Poll closed Feb 7, 2013.
  1. Yes easily, because van Gaal is the best coach in the world.

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Yes, but with a small margin and it will be a tough game.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. No, this has a draw written all over it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, It will be a tight loss

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, Netherlands will get a beating as Italian upcoming youth is the best in the world.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I would rather have Clasie, Maher's handling speed isn't fast enough.

2. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    My point is that the Dutch national team's key strength is footballing intelligence. Even our worst player is half decent becauce our players were educated in a quality football system. The unfortunate thing about that, ironically, is that even a bad Dutch side can look good in qualifying or friendlies, again simply because the worst Dutch player typically is better than the opponent's worst player. When push comes to shove though, it's real quality that counts. This Dutch generation doesn't have enough of that. And Blind is just one example.

3. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Where is Jetro anyways? Injured or just not called up?

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Robben should have done better when he broke down the line. He had Kuyt wide open and had just to deliver a nice cross and it would have been a goal for sure. Instead he drives a shot low and wide of the goal with no opportunity for the opposite side winger to get it.:eek:

5. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think Clasie's handling speed might indeed be higher than Maher :)

That was also the reason why I started to like him so much.

6. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    was out for a long time, now getting games again at PSV and played well against ADO.

7. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    I didn't notice Clasie much until my friends told me he was subbed off during half time. Maher was everywhere and unlike Clasie I can see Maher wanting to join our ranks, afterall he's.. A'dam "Amsterdam" Maher. [​IMG]

England and Holland have messed up a lot of people's bets today. [​IMG]

8. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There is a degree of truth in this post. The second the Italians pushed, we got cut. I feel this game puts sand in our eyes.

9. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Although Robben probably didn't even see Kuijt, I would understand every player that chooses not to pass to Kuijt in any situation.

Not called up.

10. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Even so, there is no point in singling out Blind since we have got no Barça quality player on any position.

And it sure as hell isn't an argument in favor of playing park the bus football, or selecting only destructive physical anti-football style players as "neeskens" would like Oranje to. After all, we lost every game against quality opposition that mattered playing that way under Bert.

11. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Nah he wasn't on form much during this season prior to his injury as well. Daley, BMI and van Aanholt have catched up with him. Willems is very good going forward, but he somewhat lacks defensive qualities, just like van Rhijn and Janmaat on the other side.

Daley was very solid today.

12. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Clasie controlled midfield like a boss and was the reason we dominated the first half for such a long time. De Guzman let Montelivo have 100 touches on ball and eventually Italy scored. I have only seen Maher missing chances in front of goal first half. Almost as bad as Ola.

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    But it was really on the last 15 minutes that things started going downhill. Some missed chances and then they lost dominance in the midfield. Strootman was also at fault on the goal, letting Veratti blow right past him.

14. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Also agree. Blind was pretty good. Both is just true. We should play true football like today at times and we look better than we are.

Orange14 repped this.
  15. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Clasie went out, that started to create the clear cut chances for Italy.

Orange14 repped this.
  16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Exactly. Feeling proud of Van Gaal fielding 9 eredivisie players is one thing, but surely we all know what their weaknesses are.

Mind you tonight they didn't look anywhere near as bad as I thought they would, even given that Italy weren't trying,

17. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Oh Hans now with his stupid suggestive questions. Who was good? Maher?

18. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Do you also feel more proud with this football, rather then bunkering? You told you feel nothing for this team. Is this football having a positive effect to turn that around?

19. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Oii you're biased though, you had Clasie as your avatar for months. [​IMG]

I prefer the "Eredivisie talent of the year 2011/2012" and soon to be "Eredivisie talent of the year 2012/2013". [​IMG]

20. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Van Gaal: Clasie played good, almost perfect :)

I missed what he said after that :p

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I've no idea what you're even talking about here. And I agree that we don't have better options for left back even. I'm not really sure how this would change my opinion on Blind though. Rating him as the best Dutch option doesn't make him a player of international quality.

Ola John has loads of potential. He's two-footed, strong, has pace and technical ability, yet he's just a kid. We don't know how he'll develop. I think it's fair to say that he has more star potential than Blind though.

22. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    People show a clip of Maher where he misses a simple chance and then conclude how involved he is. This is Afellay all over again. The images point one way, but the media have decided that we must think Maher played so well.

I always get annoyed by that. Kuyt now played a bad game as he missed a big change. Double standards.

23. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    He said, but Maher was exceptional [​IMG]

:p

That pass to Kuyt.. [​IMG]

Best moment of the game, next to El Shaarawy pwning Ola John.

24. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Damn you are one lousy translator :p .

25. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    LVG blamed Janmaat apparently for the equalizer.