Italy vs Croatia

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by TorontoCalabria, Jun 21, 2024.

1. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I like how Ian darke kept referring to the Italian fans as the " tifosi"

2. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I thought kante was finished but he's still workhorse.

3. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Spalletti was testy at his news conference and his interview with Condo`. Condo` accused him of being too "prudent" to start the game and said after he brought on Chiesa, Zaccagni, and Fagioli things changed for the better. Spalletti got pissed, but Condo is right. Those 3 are more up-tempo guys and that shows at this level. We need MORE of that.

Spalletti was also PISSED that no one latched onto Chiesa's cross. That's a direct shot at Scamacca. He's right...Scamacca did hesitate.

Il Ciuccio and indestructible repped this.
  4. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Qatar. Even worse.

Rossonero23 repped this.
  5. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member+

Frosinone
    Mar 29, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly. Penalty took 4 minutes to decide. Then every sub 80 mins after is an automatic 30 second addition plus however long it takes play to restart. Hilarious this is just now an issue from certain fanbases when italy benefits from legit stoppage time rules, that have been prioritized since 2022. Everyone on the BBC comments page is losing their mind, asking where the injuries where for the additional times. Idiots.

Schmeichel sounded like a complete a$$hat after the game. Legendary goalkeeper, clueless pudint.

calabrese8 repped this.
  6. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    More interesting point in the press conference was that it was revealed that Spalletti decided to change formation after making a pact with the players. Someone leaked it to a journalist. Spalletti was not happy about that.

7. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Once Again, Verratti does NOT play in the Saudi league. He plays in the Qatar league; much weaker league than the Saudi league. These are two very different leagues. It’s like comparing Serie A to Croatian League. Serie A is way stronger and so is the Saudi league compared to the Qatar league. It’s not even close. If Verratti played in Saudi league and did well, he’d probably be called.

8. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    He was pissed because that makes him look weak, but I think it's a good thing if he listened to his players. I wonder who the mole is? Haha

9. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    #509 AGomes, Jun 24, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2024
    This is not good at all. He probably tore a strip into them when he got back or on the bus. Can't win with this crap going on. Shameful.

EDIT: given that he got the start versus Croatia and he has a history with Spalletti, it was probably Raspadori.

10. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    I think he is walking into it backwards. he does not want to fully commit to a 352/3421 but we don't have the wingers for a 4231/433. I thought we looked good in the first half today because of the shape. Di Lorenzo was always open. Barella Jorginho feel more comfortable with the 3 centre backs and with the on ball quality the centre backs act as defensive midfielders deep playmakers.

The issue for me was he found the right shape but played the wrong personnel. Cambiaso would have eaten the right side alive while Di Lorenzo made pretty basic crosses and runs. Scamacca with the wide fullbacks and runs from deep could have help up and linked up with Raspadori much more than Retegui.

But then this system does not suit Chiesa who is our best offensive player. So it's weird. If we had Berardi we could just play a 433 which Spaletti and Chiesa clearly want to play. Maybe we should just play a 433 anyway with Califiori at left back and Bastoni Buongirono. Di Marco can't play left back. We can try Zacagni/Pellegrini on the left wing and Chiesa on the right but we don't really have the subs for this. At this point I would go back to what we did against Albania regardless of competition it was the one game where we looked cohesive and everyone looked both comfortable and dangerous.

There is clearly a fitness issue and Serie A regulars don't like playing at high tempo but we also faced the two most technical midfields in the tournament so there is something to be said for that there no one else that moves the ball like Spain and Croatia. I don't see any other teams that will make us run around chasing shadows in the same way.

11. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Chiesa is suddenly going to spring into life and win us the Euros! Like Paolo Rossi in 1982!

12. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Y’all were nowhere close to being eliminated in all honesty. Hungary was already a worst third place than you and it then woulda have took a crazy collection of results to occur for you to be the second worst.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  13. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member+

Frosinone
    Mar 29, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wonder if Thiago Motta discarding him seconds into his Juve reign got inside his head even more

14. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    we are just way more comfortable with a back 5 even offensively for me we look way more dangerous with a back 5. I thought after the Madrid goal when we made the subs to go to a back 4 and bring on wingers we looked worse despite having more possession. the players know it the fans know it. he just needs to find a way to fit Chiesa into that system.

15. Gino22

Gino22 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Apr 14, 2023
    Need Fagioli to start next game, kid just has it

Pambiero, calabrese8 and TorontoCalabria repped this.
  16. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member+

Frosinone
    Mar 29, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pasta e Fagioli always brings the gas!

calabrese8 repped this.
  17. Gino22

Gino22 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Apr 14, 2023
    The gas man!

18. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    I agree.

19. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    Nope, try Germany Spain Portugal on one side and France England Italy on the other.

20. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A certain forward he has been playing mind games with.

At this point it’s reminding me of the film “whiplash”

21. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    How bad is it that a player told a member of the media that Spaletti had a pact with some players to get them into the game? (Team morale, Manager's trust, breaking the Locker Room code, etc)

22. Vieri's Left Foot

Roma
    Italy
    Jun 8, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I can't imagine Dimarco has lost
    Not as bad as being knocked out of the tournament. This isn't the tighest camp, but at least they're alive.

Someone needs to channel this anxiety and anger into a "F*ck You" game. Just have a game to spite Spalletti, if that's how it is. Good performances will cure some of this angst. Someone (probably Chiesa or Scamacca) needs to display some individual brilliance. I thought Scamacca almost has his moment today late in the game when he lined up a 24-yarder, but it was deflected just as he made contact. I bet that would've been a beauty.

23. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    @prodigal_mind Bastoni doesn't impress though hey? Guys been maybe our best player after Donnarumma, i'd put him level with Calafiori.

24. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Jesus Christ what is going on with this forum…

25. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The Scamacca hate isn't needed, he's our best chance for a proper striker. Problem is that most of the players aren't on the same wavelength as him with regards to his vision, especially the quick layoffs. Works brilliantly for Atalanta but our guys aren't there yet, definitely agree with the comments on his missed opportunity from the Chiesa cross.

azzurri06 repped this.