PBP: Italy vs Croatia: June 14 - Municipal Stadium Poznan [R]

Discussion in 'Group C - Spain, Italy, Croatia, Ireland' started by JaredSS07, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah I know that's why I brought it up... I remember those signs "2-2 a Scandanavia Success"... tbh though Italy would've been out on GD anyway had that been the tie breaker as they only beat Bulgaria 2-1 whereas Sweden & Denmark beat them 5 & 2-0

2. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Croatia should be ecstatic; Italy, probably a little nervous.

3. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Lol, same ********ing story every two years. Italy can't win any of their group games and then it comes down to "who's going to be Italy's friend in the other match" - scenario.

4. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Croatia did well and that is no surprise at all, they are always quality in a tournament.
    Switching over in the 2nd to their native 3-5-2 that has been part of all their success down the years was crucial.
    But they should not be ecstatic at all. They have to play Spain and that is a terrible matchup for them because the quick play between the lines attacks their biggest weakness. Spain will have tons of the ball and will probe and probe and probe against those lumbering centerbacks and the score could get ugly. Croatia will have to counter very bravely, even recklessly, throwing numbers forward when they do recover the ball, to keep Spain unsettled and wary. Pletikosa will have to be a wall. I never ever underestimate Croatia, they could always knock off Germany, France, Brazil, anybody and I wouldn't be surprised, but Spain is about the worst matchup imaginable for them tactically. A scoring draw is a risky thing to try to engineer. Scandinavians or German-speaking countries can pull it off among themselves, sure... I don't know about Spain and Croatia.

5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  6. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    PS> Modric is overrated.

7. HV- 20

HV- 20 Member

May 24, 2002
    Modric in this tactical lineup is a victim of the necessity bilic feels to play vukojevic as a holding midfielder, who is excellent defensively and in covering, but not good on the ball and not able to take any responsibility in building attacks.
    so out of two central midfielders only one (modric) takes charge offensively, which puts him under too much pressure and makes it easier for the defending team to cut him off.
    similar problem existed in tottenham before they brought in parker who is good on the ball as well as he is in breaking attacks. Whit sandro, livermore or palacios and huddlestone earlier you get the same problem as in croatian nt. a bit off topic now...

Too bad one of the three teams will be out of the competition on monday, kind of hoping it to be spain, always support the underdogs.
    Croatian chances don't look bright, a second goal today was a chance to secure it, italy were out of it in the last 20 minutes

8. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spain could "engineer" a 2-2 or 3-3 draw if so inclined to put Italy out of the tournament. First get two (2) goals ahead, then gradually back off to "defend" the 2 goal lead and in the last few minutes, give up two (2) goals with "bad" defending....

9. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Very risky.
    Also, even though Spain is a bad matchup for Croatia, it is arrogant to assume that Spain can just slap a two goal lead on them and hold it.

gumbacicc repped this.
  10. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Well this game was a tail of two halves..First half Italy dominated and could have easily been up by 2-3 goals..Second half Bilic changes tactics moving Modric further up the pitch while moving Mandzukic to the wing and he put Vukojevic and Rakitic in the middle..Well it worked as Croatia controlled the midfield and out played Italy in the second half..Mandzukic was a beast again..Worked his tail off again and took his goal well..Modric was much better in the second half but still not up to his usual standard..He had some misplaced passes which you normally don't see from Modric..Spain will be hard for Croatia as there central defense are just not that good..Corluka was ok against Italy but Schildenfield was awfull..Man Croatia really misses Lovren badly..If im Bilic i bench Schildenfield and i try Simunic..Ye Simunic is up there in years and is not the player he used to be but he can't be any worse then Schildefield has been in the first 2 games..

11. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Italy are in trouble at the moment. Ireland are capable of being a pain in the butt and getting a draw. Croatia and Spain might end up as a draw.

12. Fabio Grosso 2006

Fabio Grosso 2006 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He's talking about rigging the game you moron.

13. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    It's a risky thing to try. I doubt the level of trust exists between Spain and Croatia to accomplish it.
    Not quite the same as two Scandinavian or two German-speaking countries arranging things.

I worry much more that the refs would rig it. Spain up two zero, invent two PKs for Croatia. This is a very plausible scenario, since UEFA wants Italy out.

14. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    LOL Italians are worried about rigged games.
    Good game - you're right cromagnum - we do miss Lovren badly. Interesting tournament so far - in all groups.

15. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Who has suffered from FIFA and UEFA rigging matches more than Italy?
    Remember WC2002?

16. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmm, I remember Australia suffering a pretty cruel elimination recently ;)

Seriously though, 2002 was fishy - the rest was bad luck imo though....

17. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    I still can't see Italy not making the quarterfinals, the odds are with Spain and Italy for the final match, although they will have to be at their best.
    Still, I was happy to see Italy punished yesterday for trying to close shop and park the bus early in the second half. Proof that Chelsea tactics can be a gamble to.

18. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Croatia does not have to be part of the "rig". Spain should be good enough to get a two (2) goal lead without "cooperation" from Croatia. If they are not, then they play the game "normally" to ensure Spain qualifies for the next round. If they get the two (2) goal lead, they will have the luxury of sitting back to "engineer" a two goal Croatian comeback to put Italy out. Their only risk is accidently allowing Croatia to score a third goal in the last minutes.

19. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I could see the refs be under pressure from a rain of flares thrown onto the pitch and allow Croatia back into the game. Croatian fans should be banned from the stadium.

20. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Its more like, "who will not be Italy's enemy". But they could potentially even win the group, although not likely.

21. Fabio Grosso 2006

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Dinamo Zagreb vs Lyon. That is all.

22. Fabio Grosso 2006

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Italy had a man sent off that game controversially too so it goes both ways.

23. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Difficult to say if that game was fixed as Dinamo was down a man for 60 minutes..It's possible that it was but i personally don't believe it was..

24. Fabio Grosso 2006

Sep 2, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    when you see the goal keeper winking at the striker it's hard not to think it was fixed. Could easily mean to get sent off too and dont forget lyon needed a big scoreline. Zagreb only lost 1-0 at home also and 2-0 to ajax a 7-1 flogging is very suspicious.

25. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    It was not the goal keeper it was the central defender who winked..Dinamo actually took the lead then Lyon tied it late in the first half..Lyon got two quick goals in the second half..I believe Dinamo just gave up after the two quick goals..Nobody will ever know for sure but i don't believe Dinamo sold this match..There is also no way Spain will let Croatia get a 2-2 draw..