Italy v. Scotland 5/29

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Angelo R., May 26, 2016.

1. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think any team has 100% unity before a tournament especially when their are still cuts to be made.

Rosay repped this.
  2. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    agreed... Giak's finishing (or lack of) was terrible... but other than that he was constantly putting himself in dangerous situations to the opposition, stretching out their defence with some quick direct runs into those dirty areas. Not the best performance but definetely far from terrible and not the worst player on the pitch by any means.

looks to me like the key for this Euro is going to be either De Rossi (or whoever plays in that spot) and if they can consistently connect with giak on the left or florenzi on his right when they make those runs or feeding Candreva down the right to cross it in. Bonucci is a good passer but if we rely on his long ball all tournament long then we're dead.

Rosay repped this.
  3. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Giacc made a lot of forward runs... the kind of box2box play this formation relies on, but he blew all his chances.

Conte used to have Vidal and Pogba playing that role, but Giacc is the best we've got tbh.

4. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's fine, i'd rather have attempts than no chances at all which is what i like about Giac, he makes the runs and gets himself in position which is something that 90% of the team doesn't do.

Rosay repped this.
  5. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    agreed... that's why the Marchisio injury hurts as well.

6. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    we are not so shit that we can go out and set up like greece did. It would probably be better if we were that shit. You are so incredibly deluded about this team. The formation Conte is likely gonna play with (3-5-2) is just gonna be deployed to avoid getting spanked. If conte had any balls he would select the most talented and functional 11 and send them out to play some football and lose by trying win. Lol at Conte trying to pick the slowest mixed with least talanted midfielders ever for his midfield. Candreva is grossly overrated too. Im pretty sure you have to go back to the England game in brazil to find his last acceptable cross. What a massive shit show this could turn out to be.

7. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    As a Juventino who is thankful to Conte for bringing back the winning mentality to Juve, I do not think I am alone in stating that he was far from perfect as a coach. He got results but also blew it twice in his last season in the CL. That is far more indicative of what to expect in this tournament than what he did in Serie A with Juve. He refused to adjust tactics to finish the match that was delayed in Turkey due to the snow. Needing only a draw, he played a young Pogba in the center when the obvious choice should have been the more experienced Vidal. He also left the team exposed for counters despite the fact that Galatasaray purposely left their half of the field in terrible condition while making sure the side they attacked was playable. Then the failure to reach the EL final that was played at Juve Stadium. For a coach whose career is based on motivating his players, how was that possible?

He is limited. I do not miss him as a Juve coach. The sooner he leaves gli Azzurri, the better. Considering that he is the type who wants to build his teams in a certain way, he has yet to do so with this Italy. Sure, blame the clubs for not allowing him to have his special camps to get the players together. This is the NT, not a club. He relied on Pirlo for qualification but has not left him out. I am not too disturbed with Pirlo gone, he had to leave eventually. But why use him for two years and not put someone else in that role?

We know that Italian players can make something happen despite the idiot sitting on the bench. It was the case in '94 when the team carried Sacchi. It was the same in four years ago with Prandelli. The question is whether Conte has handicapped this team to much that there is only so much the players can do.

P di Antonio repped this.
  8. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Like I've said before, conte has never given me the impression that he gave a shit about this job

9. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    what ????
    Have you ever seen him on the sideline when The Azzurri score a goal ???

calabrese8 and Rosay repped this.
  10. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its like that old joke of a coach prepping his team pregame by insisting they'll win if they just believe and stick together.

Who's to say this team isnt a close knit bunch with a gameplan?

You're the delusional one. What do you suggest, a 4-3-3? With whom? Who's your starting 11?

You make it seem like you have all the answers but then offer nothing tangible in your rants.

We have a 3 man defense because Juve just had a monster season. Conte loves the formation and has had success with it, despite everyone on this forum seemingly believing he hasn't.

Look, I'm not in love with this 23 man squad he chose (sad to see no Jorginho, Bonaventura and to go further back, Berardi should have been given a look ) but I'm also not delusional enough to believe that my squad selections are definitively better than his.

Rosay and forza_azzurri repped this.
  11. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If you visit the other team forums.......nobody is happy.

12. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It does take a level of commitment and time to play that tight as poor as it is to watch, it didnt just happen overnight. I dont think Conte knows his best way of playing or have anything like the consistency they did. I just see it as a bad comparison given were Italy is as a team.

13. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    ?
    yes, it doesn't change my thoughts.
    you think Italy are great and im the delusional one lol. When conte picks players out of form, or players who barely play, how is it delusional to think you can pick a better squad? Gabbiadini for instance had Higuain ahead of him, who does zaza have ahead of him thats so good that he cant start the majority of games? Also juves defence did not have a monster season. We saw how average they were when there were no Italian reffs involved who would let them play rugby rules. They let in 10 goals between Munich and Germany. Did you not see how chiellini barged into the Scottish player and gaveca foul away? Yea well outside of Italy juves defence dont get any allowance. So there goes that monster season.

14. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    What fanboy doesn't understand ( other than nothing about football obviously) how are the players going to buy into Contes vision when he doesn't do as he says? His own words-you must be a starter to be picked for Italy. He has chosen players who barely get decent playing time let alone start. How are other players gonna feel when Zaza or sturaro start ahead of them if they've played all season? Prandelli was a hypocrite, and we saw the result of that in 2014. Conte doesn't have clear ideas other than he wants physical players, work horses and to avoid letting in goals. But what about actually playing football? Having a clear style other than lump it to Pelle? This squad us amazing though right stamos? This team has zero chance of winning the way greece did.

15. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    congrats... Napoli gave up 0 goals in the champions league this year.. cause you losers did make it... irrelevant... all this fuss and you guys have barely any history of winning. We wipe our asses with your two scudetti

this is not a time to get all hard about being anti juve. it's about italianita. I hate napoli but i have no problem saying that Insigne fully deserved his call up and also believe Jorginho should have made it. Gabbiadini will feature on the team in years to come but how do you expect Conte to call him up over Zaza? Both are subs for their respective teams, but the advantage Zaza has is that he has featured with the national team already.

You have a problem with Juve's defence... sure.. tell me mister C.T. who would you rather start on defence?
    Besides.. Chiellini did not feature in any of those three games you had mentioned (germany and bayern x2). Also, Bonucci was the only juve defender who played against Germany. That's like me blaming Napoli for not scoring enough goals that game since Insigne started... maybe watch some games before you keep sticking your foot up your ass.

it's time to put aside the differences and support the azzurri. it might not be the team choices you like but what's done is done and if you are not ready to support the team then stay off the bandwagon.

phat and Rosay repped this.
  16. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    to everyone here....as difficult as this may be for some, please put away your club loyalties and devote your energy to focusing on la Nazionale right now. serie a is done and we are all here to support gli azzurri. in that regard we are now all on the same side. it pains me to see fellow patriots fighting with each other. this isn't the venue for this and certainly not the time. right now we have people from other nations ( some even Serie A fans ) shitting all over the national team in other threads...let's not give them anymore cause. I'm not thrilled with the selections either but if history has taught me one thing even mediocre italian teams in the past , relative to the other talent in the tourney , have the capability of doing well. national teams in general across the board don't have the same level of talent they used to on average compared to years past. we certainly aren't as strong as some people here want to believe , but we certainly aren't as weak as others believe either.

Let's all see how the first game goes.

krado33, Rosay and calabrese8 repped this.
  17. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  18. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ya whoever doesn't think we'll make it out of the group can STFU and GTFO. Cause once we are out of the groups all those naysayers can't jump on the wagon

krado33 repped this.
  19. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yeah and save all the knives for after we get eliminated. It's always a fun time when we decide who to burn at the stake for failure.

phat and Rosay repped this.