Italy v Germany v England in UEFA Coefficient Rankings(R)

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Deleted User x, Aug 9, 2017.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Good call. Injuries sure changed the complexion of the Spurs-Leipzig tie. And to a lesser, but still notable extent the Madrid-Man City and Barca-Napoli ties.

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    They seem to be using a different formula to compute the coefficient points for these single-legged affairs. Looks like teams are receiving an extra bonus point just for participation, but not sure(?).

For e.g. Bayer Leverkusen has 6 wins, 5 losses and 5 bonus points. That should result in 17 coefficient points. But they have been given 18 points.

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Bump

But now there are 2 Ligue 1 teams in the semis. Should the French league be ranked ahead of England's on that basis alone??

What say ye now? :cool:

1. Spain .................................. 18.64 (1 match left)
    2. Ingerland ........................ ... 18.57 (0 matches left)
    3. Germany .............................17.86 (1 or 2 matches left)
    4. Italy ......................................14.93 (1 match left)
    5. France .................................11.50 (2 or 3 matches left)

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://kassiesa.net/uefa/calc.html

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    *bump*

First change in the top 5 ranking in a while - Portugal replaces France in fifth place. However, within 24 hours of that happening, 2 Portuguese teams crash out of Europe altogether so France will be reclaiming that 5th spot fairly soon, I suspect.

Whoever is 5th after the 2022-23 season will get a 3rd team to qualify directly to the CL group stage.

EvanJ repped this.
  6. klade

klade New Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Portugal
    Sep 16, 2021
  7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Holland making a big move in the rankings. Already accumulated 10.4 coeff points this season, more than any other league! And jumped from #14 to #7 in three years. Now closing-in on Portugal for #6.

8. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Ligue 1 has been pretty good in Europe this season apart from Marseille, so they should be fine to keep 5th for the time being. Monaco did drop to EL from the CL qualifiers but they have played reasonably well there so I think that will not hurt Ligue 1 too much.

BocaFan repped this.
  9. NavyVet

NavyVet Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Mar 1, 2022
    Beverly Hills, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have one major question about the UCL and the top 4 teams qualifying.

What if four teams qualify from your EPL - La Liga- Bundesliga or Sirea A but you have THIS situation.

What happens if a team is not in the top 4 but wins their cup ie FA cup, German, La Liga, Italian Cup etc.
    Say the four teams to come out of England are 1- Man City 2- Liverpool 3- Chelsea and 4- Man U but 5 Arsenal wins the FA cup or Tottenham wins the Europea(hypothetical) What happens to them, do they get added in the UCL as the 5th team?

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The FA Cup doesn't impact anything related to CL qualification. It only impacts who qualifies to Europa. So I am not sure I totally understand your question.

But to go back to your example, if Spurs won Europa they would qualify for the CL (along with City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd). Arsenal would go to Europa.

11. NavyVet

NavyVet Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Mar 1, 2022
    Beverly Hills, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Understood on the first part that I bolded to use my example- the FA cup only impacts who qualifies to Europa so if the Spurs qualify for Europa and they become the champions of Europa, then they will be promoted to the CL-along with City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd- Arsenal would be the odd team out, going to the Europa,

Thank you for the breakdown, i was always confused on that. So, the FA cup or any domestic super cups for that matter have no impact on who qualifies for the UCL-it does for Europea. the UCL is your final standings in your regular season table- England Germany Spain and Italy get 4- France Holland and Belgium get 3 teams and other countries get 2 or 1 and some have to have a playoff to get 1.

I would say this keep the Europa so that a small club can get a chance to go to the UCL but get rid of the domestic cubs because there are way too many gaems, it shortens the career of the players, and unless you are die hard, nobody cares if you are the FA Cup champions. I am just using the EPL as an example because it is the most watched league, worldwide,

12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the Europa Conference League, Fiorentina had 1.07 to 1 odds to win hosting RFS of Latvia, which gave Fiorentina an 88 percent chance of winning. Fiorentina dominated statistics, but it was 1-1. It was RFS's first group stage game.

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany had four of five Champions League clubs reach the Round of 16, Italy had three of four clubs do that, and Spain disappointed with only Real Madrid advancing, and Atletico Madrid finishing last. Bayern Munich (the only club to win all six games) has a 50 percent chance at facing Liverpool or Paris Saint-Germain, and Liverpool (who lost the head-to-head tiebreaker to Napoli after both of them had 15 points) has a 50 percent chance at facing Bayern Munich or Real Madrid. Eintracht Frankfurt reached the Round of 16, and their only previous appearance in the top competition was when they lost the 1959-1960 European Cup Final to Real Madrid 7-3. Liverpool and Paris Saint-Germain made it the first time that two clubs with at least 14 points did not win their group. The draw is on Monday.

Every Four Years repped this.
  14. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    There should be no country restriction for the Round of 16 draw in my opinion. Having same country teams separated in the group stage is enough imo. It's unfair to teams like Club Brugge, Milan, and Dortmund that Liverpool can literally only plausibly draw half the teams in Pot 1. Such a dumb rule imo. The only restriction that makes sense to me is not being able to draw the other team from the same first round group.