Italy/USA thread for traveler info

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by italcan, Apr 14, 2006.

1. italcan

italcan Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Toronto
    I'd like to start this thread for fans travelling to Kaiserslautern for the June 17th game.

Anyone with info on hotels, transportation, etc. would be appreciated.

I am travelling solo so if some people would like to arrange to meet that would be great.

I am still trying to finalize travel plans, have no hotel but a friend of mine who lives in Germany is going to try and help me find a place to stay for 2 nights.

I tried to use my air mile accounts with various airlines but there is absolutely no space available. Right now I am looking at using a charter airline into Munich on the 16th, then fly to Frankfurt and take a train or whatever to K Town.

There is some very good information here: http://www.fanguide2006.org/en/staedte_regionen/kaiserslautern

The atmosphere in the smaller towns should be great, especially the night before the game. I experienced this in 1998 (italy vs cameroon) in Montpellier. As well go early to the game and soak up the excitement.

2. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Wouldnt it be better if you put this in the USA WC travel thread? A lot of those people are going to this game

3. ChicagoRed

ChicagoRed New Member

Apr 8, 2006
    Chicago
    I am staying in Frankfurt about 3 minutes from the Train Station from the 6/17 through 6/25. I used the following site to find what I thought to be a very reasonable rate for that location ($112 euros a night). I no longer see that hotel available but there are others that if someone can let you know what the area is like may work out.

For this link I searched a check in of 6/16 and a check out of 6/18 for 1 person. The main website was www.hrs.de

http://www11.hrs.de/search.do;jsess...Id=ZW5fVVM&cid=11-5&activity=showSearchResult.

4. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    I originally only received US vs. Czech Republic, so I was only going to be staying June 9-16 in Dusseldorf. But, last week I found out that I got tix to this game too, so I changed my return to the 18th. Still staying in Dusseldorf the entire time, because flying out of Frankfurt would have cost way too much extra. Staying the night of the 16th (for free) at an airport hotel in Dusseldorf, then taking a train down to K-town for the game on the 17th. There's an overnight train departing K-town at 2 am, getting back to Dusseldorf at 6 am on the 18th, then taking a 9:40 flight home.

Would have liked to stay in Heidelberg or Frankfurt for a few nights, but this was the cheapest way to change it. Also, since I'll get home on Sunday, didn't need to take any additional time off work.

5. danno2586

danno2586 New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    USA
    {I tried to use my air mile accounts with various airlines but there is absolutely no space available. Right now I am looking at using a charter airline into Munich on the 16th, then fly to Frankfurt and take a train or whatever to K Town.}

Might be a lot easier to just hop a train from Munich to Frankfurt... 3.5 - 4 hours if you get on an ICE train I would guess. Check out www.db.de for train info. They have an English option on the page if your German isn't good enough yet :)

Danno2586

6. 4-4-2

4-4-2 Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    I'm flying into Cologne day of the match and hope to catch a train down to K-ville that day and then get out on a night train to Berlin. This is what I HOPE to do! haha! Still need to finalize the details. I'm also going solo and would be willing to split hotel costs with a fellow traveller if available!

7. italcan

italcan Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Toronto
    well so far we found a hotel 25 km from K-town in Zweibruecken for 50Euro per night. It appears that there are zero hotel rooms availalble in K-town.

its a 2.5 hr ride from Frankfurt to Zweibruecken...guess I'll be seeing a lot of the countryside.

that train website is very helpful.

still working on flight plans.