Italy - Spain, 27th June 2016, Stade de France, Saint-Denis

Discussion in 'Euro 2016' started by Gilbertsson, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #1 Gilbertsson, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Denis,_Seine-Saint-Denis

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stade_de_France

Italy played two times on this stadium, Spain has never played here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There is nothing to choose between Italy and Spain as they meet for a third successive EURO, the Azzurri eager to make amends following a 4-0 defeat by their opponents in the final of UEFA EURO 2012.

• The sides are facing off for a third EURO in succession: they drew 0-0 at UEFA EURO 2008 (Cesc Fàbregas converting the winning kick as Spain beat Italy 4-2 on penalties in the quarter-finals), and 1-1 in their opening game of UEFA EURO 2012, before locking horns again in the final which Spain won 4-0.

• Spain are unbeaten in five matches with Italy (W2 D3) since a 2-1 friendly loss in Bari in August 2011; in competitive games, Spain have had the better of the last three fixtures (W1 D2) since a 2-1 reverse to the Azzurri at the 1994 FIFA World Cup.

• The teams will also meet in 2018 World Cup qualifying, where they have been pooled together in Group G. The first of their tussles is scheduled for Turin on 6 October.

EURO facts: Italy
    • Italy's defeat by the Republic of Ireland halted a run of four straight victories for Antonio Conte's side, during which they had not conceded a single goal.

• This is Italy's ninth EURO final tournament and their sixth in a row since missing out on the 1992 edition in Sweden. Only twice have they failed to advance through the group stage – in 1996 and 2004.

• Italy won the 1968 EURO and have been runners-up twice since – in 2000 and 2012.

• Italy (W7 D3) were among four teams unbeaten in qualifying alongside England, Austria and Romania. The Italians also have the longest ongoing unbeaten UEFA European Championship qualifying run, having avoided defeat in their last 30 qualifying matches.

• Italy have played three games at the Stade de France (W1 D1 L1): they overcame Austria in the 1998 World Cup group stage then fell to France on penalties after a 0-0 draw in the quarter-finals; coach Conte – then a midfielder for Juventus – was an unused squad member on both occasions. Most recently, Italy succumbed 3-1 to Les Bleus in a UEFA EURO 2008 qualifier.

EURO facts: Spain
    • Spain's 2-1 loss to Croatia in their last Group D outing ended a sequence of 14 EURO finals matches without defeat (W11 D3), stretching back to a 1-0 reversal against Portugal at UEFA EURO 2004; prior to Croatia, they had not conceded in their previous seven EURO finals fixtures, since a 1-1 draw with Italy in 2012.

• Spain went down 1-0 to France in their sole previous game at the Stade de France, in January 1998.

• This is Spain's sixth consecutive EURO. They are bidding to triumph for the third time running, having become the first side to win two in a row at UEFA EURO 2012.

• Spain and Germany/West Germany are the most successful EURO teams having won three editions each.

Coach and player links
    • Current team-mates:
    Matteo Darmian and David de Gea (Manchester United, 2015–present)

• Former team-mates:
    Thiago Motta and Andrés Iniesta (Barcelona 2001–07)
    Ciro Immobile and Sergio Rico (Sevilla 2015–16)
    Álvaro Morata with Simone Zaza, Stefano Sturaro, Giorgio Chiellini, Leonardo Bonucci, Andrea Barzagli and Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus 2014–16)

• Conte will be Pedro Rodríguez and César Azpilicueta's manager at Chelsea next season.
    • Two giants meet in repeat of UEFA EURO 2012 final
    • Italy out to avenge the 4-0 showpiece defeat in Kyiv four years ago
    • Sides have won 10 and drawn 14 of 34 previous meetings
    Italy national team: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy_national_football_team

Spain national team: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain_national_football_team

Italy and Spain met 34 times, Italy has won 10 times, Spain has won 10 times and 14 matches ended with draw. Italy has advantage in goal difference: 40-36. They have met in one friendly match on 24th March 2016, the match ended 1-1.

They will in the same group for the upcoming qualifications World Cup 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_UEFA_Group_G

https://twitter.com/SergioRamos

[​IMG]
    It may look like a nice day out by the seaside for a group of superstars and their families, but the Spanish media has this down as a crisis meeting.

Be that as it may, the European champions love having their nearest and dearest around them when some have now been away from home got about a month. Training today seemed to show the benefits.

[​IMG]
    Juanfran explains that it’s the coach’s decision who takes the penalties from now on. He also explains that there’s a bit of chat about it with the senior Spain players.

Hopefully, he says, "we don’t need a penalty shoot out against Italy’ but it’s always about the ‘confidence of the players on the pitch at the time which must have the final say."

Italy flew back to Montpellier last night, landing at 3am. Now they are back on the training field with the focus on preparing to face the defending champions Spain in the last 16.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So, this must be about the ultimate in media cross fertilization.

Gazzetta Dello Sport, the principle Italian football paper, reports the Croatia win over Spain with a headline which roughly translates as ‘Oh no! It’s Spain!’.

But then before we re-report it here, Madrid’s Diario AS observe that the Gazzetta 'fear’ Spain but feel that De Gea’s form is weak right now.

Full European media integration on an admittedly very big football story.

Road to EURO:

Italy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying_Group_H

Italy went through Adriatic Sea and visited Croatia, nobody lost in both matches. Easier expedition took them to Malta, with unpleasant visits to Bulgaria and Azerbaijan where fanatical fans exist. Norway was well balanced team which ended in additional qualifications against Hungary.

Spain: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying_Group_C

Spain was well made favourite of this group. Only Slovakia showed some interest for victory against the Spain.

http://www.gazzetta.it/calcio/europ...rgica-dribbling-quartultima-16083564412.shtml

http://www.gazzetta.it/Moto/moto-GP...ercento-jorge-marc-vinciamo-16080450017.shtml

You can your own opinions, predictions and personal sympathies about these two teams.:)

evil_allan repped this.
  2. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I feel like this one has PKs written all over it and Italy will win due to a failed Ramos panenka attempt.

3. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Italy seems confident if 11 meter shoot out becomes relevant, at least in this generation. Against France 1998, they lost on penalties. It will be hard to implement great atmosphere for both of them, since they have lost their third matches. Antonio Conte had sad face after the goal of Irish player Brady, 85th minute, a lot of reserve players in Italian team. It would be much better for the atmosphere if they could took one point.

4. Marco Delvecchio

Marco Delvecchio Red Card

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Interesting. They played a march friendly and italy led 1-0 before giving up the lead 3 minutes later. That happened at EUro 2012 where they drew 1-1 in the opener. Cesc equalised exactly 3 minutes later. they played again which Spain won 4-0 in the final. They're playing again this year, 4-0 to repeat? In 2012 Italy's last game was against Ireland. Spain's was against Croatia. Exact same thing happened again this euro. History is repeating. I hope it's not another 4/0 drubbing.

5. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Both teams are weaker versions of themselves on paper. The Italians will need to be solid defensively and hopefully use the Belgian triumph as a blueprint for success. The Spanish possession game is susceptible to counter attacking play. The real downfall of the 2012 final was the early Spanish goal and subsequent Chiellini injury replacement. It seems to also be forgotten that the majority of the second half of the final saw Italy play with 10 men (Motta if I recall correctly hobbled off injured with no subs remaining).

Make no mistake though Spain are favourites, but in my opinion the most frightening Spanish player (Koke) has not figured prominently and Italy are a team that is well equipped to frustrate the Spanish. My sentimental pick remains Italy....

Marco Delvecchio repped this.
  6. Marco Delvecchio

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Thanks man. And yes Motta went off injured after just coming on and we played with ten men.

I think we will beat Spain. We will play like we did against Belgium. Switched on and 100 percent focus and go at Them. The real Italy will show up on Monday.

7. barcaq8

barcaq8 Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Camp Nou, Barcelona
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hope this match proves that football is still beautiful! One of the worst performances I've seen in recent major tournaments was in this Euro!

Vamos Espana and Forza Azzuri!!

8. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am so nervous about this game. Spain have some great talent, despite not the team they were in 2010-2012.

9. Marco Delvecchio

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Spain aren't the euro 2012 version. Well win. Italy play like we did against Belgium. Well get knocked out next round though. Draxler is dynamite..

10. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    For me on paper the Spanish still boast the most talented squad, but I don't think they have yet gelled as a team. I hope it doesn't come against Italy, for whom I remain quietly optimistic.

11. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tie of the round... unfortunately I'm going to miss it being on a Megabus from NYC to Philly... but keep me posted on what happens guys

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

12. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I can't decide who I'd rather see lose!

Probably Spain because they have Ramos.

13. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing in a downpour.

14. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Excellent save from DDG

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Italy deserves the lead.
    Let's see if they can keep it.

16. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Italy up after a rebound from a fk. It was coming.

17. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Deserved goal, Italy has been the better team so far.

18. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    What happened between Eder and Ramos?

19. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If Germany were playing Spain they would have been 2 or 3 up already

20. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That's outrageous from the ref. Should be a yellow for Pique

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And that should do it.
    Another good tactical victory by Italy against a very good team.

22. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A victory for the free peoples of earth against boring Tiki Taka

Thank you Italy you beautiful SOBS!;)

calabrese8 repped this.
  23. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I wish we had someone of Conte's tactical ability to coach France.

Well deserved victory for Italy. I only wish Verratti could have been a part of it.

24. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Magnificent performance from the Italians! Coach, starters and bench were all on the same note, Just enough suspense in the last 4 minutes beofe the 2 nd Italian goal broke every heart in Spain.

25. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Conte is earning some more tactical stripes. How he set up the team against the much more fancied Belgians and Spanish has been nothing short of spectacular.

Buffon and the BBC continue to show a defensive masterclass. The entire team is playing for each other and as a unit they have been far more than the sum of their parts. Loving it!