PBP: Italy-Holland Pre/during/post match [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by TFC17, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Squad vs Holland?

It pains me to agree with you there, but I feel the same way. I've notice Zambrotta doesn't move into the next gear when coming back on defense, he seems slower out there. I've tried to ignore that as I'm a HUGE Zambrotta fan, but it seems he's in the decline. It's time to pass the torch to Santon who is on the rise.

2. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Gazzetta says Lippi is looking at a 4-3-3, although the personnel they list makes it seem more like a 4-2-3-1 (or at least something that would be more effective in a 4-2-3-1):

Pirlo - Palombo
    Camoranesi - Candreva - Palladino
    Gilardino
    And the second string:

Biondini - Galloppa
    Marchionni - Montolivo - Di Natale
    Pazzini​

3. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

Lippi was @ AC Milan - Real Madrid game and Milan are having success
    @ variation of 4-3-3 .............so I think that's what he trying...
    Also, Palla does play in 3-4-3 so he's giving him chance to shine...

4-3-3
    ---------Palombo
    Pirlo -----------Candreva
    Camo - Gilardino - Palladino

But you are right, the 4-2-3-1 makes more sense..

4. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006

i'd like to see santon on there as well but his play with inter hasn't been the best lately.

5. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

He needs to go out on loan where he gets lots of minutes.................
    playing time under less pressure is what he needs to continue to develop
    as player...

6. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006

you might be right, but if he can make it with inter there is no telling how good he can become.

7. Aranycsapat

Aranycsapat New Member

May 27, 2009
    Padova, Italy
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

How much minutes has Santon collected with Inter this season? Not so much as far as I remember, and he didn't impressed in a good way. He isn't even making the bench recently.

Zambro is a problem, I agree with this. But IMHO the answer can't be Santon, at least not now.

8. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Maggio is the answer then. He does provide a scoring threat.

I don't like Di Natale in 4-2-3-1. He is lost as an LM.

9. Aranycsapat

Aranycsapat New Member

May 27, 2009
    Padova, Italy
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Maggio IMHO is more a RWB or RM than a RB. His weakness is the defensive phase for me.

10. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Yup, I would put him in the RW and RM category. Keep him away from defensive roles.

11. Geo Funk E

Geo Funk E Red Card

May 28, 2009
    Funk E Town
    Club:
    Juventus FC

I would switch Candreva and Pirlo. Candreva is more aggressive and industrial, or put Marchionni in Pirlo's position above. Pirlo can't work that deep as effectively anymore.

12. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

match is being shown LIVE on GOL TV this saturday

2:45pm los angeles time

13. Geo Funk E

Geo Funk E Red Card

May 28, 2009
    Funk E Town
    Club:
    Juventus FC

His playing time seemed to decrease after the whole Cannavaro/Lippi/Mourinho saga where the 'special' one claimed that Lippi and Cannavaro (mostly Cannavaro and Juve) were tampering with Santon in favor of him making a move out of Inter. I don't know if that played on Mourinho and/or Santon for agreeing, but since then things haven't been the same. He may have fallen out of favor with Mou for agreeing that he could look elsewhere if he weren't getting enough time, and thus suffered, or not. Impossible to know. There may be no correlation at all, but it does seem oddly curious.

14. tdrazz

tdrazz Member

Feb 14, 2005

And you believe in the media 100% sure...hes form has been there lately,but his young Santon will rebound

15. Geo Funk E

Geo Funk E Red Card

May 28, 2009
    Funk E Town
    Club:
    Juventus FC

It depends. If the media is quoting something Mourinho has said, then it is usually pretty factual. When they put their spin on it, it can be a different story. Do you know how to differentiate between the two?

The point I made, which you missed (the media being irrelevant as this wasn't reported in the media) is that around the time Mourinho complained that Juve/Cannavaro were trying to influence Santon to leave Inter during the winter transfer, Santon coincidentally either started to play poorly, or began received less time and/or confidence from Mourinho.

Either / or...

Mourinho may have been pissed off that Santon responded to what he believed was tampering by Juve/Cannavaro, and reacted...or not.

As I mentioned, there may be no correlation, it's just curious that this occured at the same time interval. Santon could be having a normal dip in form temporarily, but being left out of these international test matches is indicative of the fact that he needs to get regular playing action to get called back.

So whether Mourinho is sore that Santon publicly said he'd look for a loan elsewhere if he weren't getting regular playing time come December, and thus has purposely not been using him or Santon just had a dip in form around that same time interval is irrelevant.

The bottom line is Santon needs to look at his options if he wants to be there in 2010 because he certainly isn't getting enough time at Inter.

I think he is talented enough that he will rebound too, but he needs playing time to do that ;)

16. tdrazz

tdrazz Member

Feb 14, 2005

Well hes going to feature at under 21 match vs Hungary tomorrow...as i said Santon still young,

17. stucazzo81

stucazzo81 Member

May 15, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  18. Azzurri Smeghead

Azzurri Smeghead New Member

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Squad has been revealed.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Italy: Buffon; Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Grosso; Camoranesi, Pirlo, Palombo; Candreva, Gilardino, Palladino

------------------------------------------------------Buffon--------------------------------------------------
    ------Zambrotta------------Canna----------------------------Chiellini------------Grosso---------
    -----------------------------------------------------Palombo----------------------------------------------
    --------Camoranesi---------------------------------------------------------------Candreva----------
    ----------------------------------------------------Pirlo-----------------------------------------------------
    -------------------Gilardino----------------------------------------Palladino---------------------------

I think its that, but Lippi is crazy so it will probably be a 4-3-3 and get demolished like in Euro 08

Also this is some good news

[/FONT]

19. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. 3zycupid

3zycupid New Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Yeah, play Sweden on Wednesday.

21. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [R] Italy-Holland Match thread

I guess we will use this as the match thread...anyone home right now? weird not to have any comments at all, even if it is 0-0.

22. legdonor

legdonor Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Firenze

kuyt just missed by inches.

other than that italy looks pretty secure at the back.

im watching a poor stream with no sound.

not much else I can say. I think van persie got seriously injured by chiellini, it did not look good.

also the game is extremely sloppy and I think it's from the pitch, players are running and falling and sliding (without even being challenged)

23. legdonor

legdonor Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Firenze

chiellini is a beast..