Italian word of the day

Discussion in 'Italy' started by SueB, Oct 31, 2003.

1. kotzunder

kotzunder New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    i dont think specchio della porta means a missed chance, its simply a way to call the space delimited by the bar and the posts

2. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    or the space between the pipes and the net but outside the pitch?

3. Razzle

Razzle New Member

May 28, 2001
    Nice thread folks. (Yes, I did read the whole thing...) I think the whole Italian language sounds like poetry. I mean, just compare the sound of "specchio della porta" to "missed chance." Maybe it's just me, but I do think it's got a poetic ring to it --tho' I have no idea what it means. Or what 99% of Italian words mean. But I like the sound. Personal favorite: "Vino"... Now, Basta! Ciao ...

4. Razzle

Razzle New Member

May 28, 2001
    Word of the day

Here's a word/expression I enjoy but have wondered about :"mahvala" (usually used as an expression of disgust --at least when I would hear it as a kid: an opinion is voiced by someone, to which the second person replies "ah, mahvala!" OK, so using my Italian dictionary I would guess it literally means, "but go there," something akin to "Get lost!" Yes? Or am I way off? Anyhow, I think it's cool...

5. kotzunder

kotzunder New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    it's like "oh come on" , but literally its like "but go there" ...a kinder way to say "go to hell" , or go to f*** urself"

6. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    english-italian

If you listen to Italian broadcasts of the matches, you'll notice that they actually use a decent amount of English words, for example:
    "corner"
    "pressing"
    Il "mister" (refers to the coach)
    il "match-winner" (game-winning goal)
    even "standing ovation"

All with beautiful Italian accents, of course.

'STAHN-deeng o-VAY-shon'

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    il "big match" is another one. The pompous Gianni Cerquetti is the master of trying to sound important by using foreign terminology.

8. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also 'stop' when saying how long a player will be out. It seems pretty popular with the headline writers.