Italian word of the day

Discussion in 'Italy' started by SueB, Oct 31, 2003.

1. modenafc1912

modenafc1912 New Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Modena, Italy
    Club:
    Modena FC
  2. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Buon compleanno Sussana e bestianera! io complo il sette de novembre, venti otto!

ciao

3. jngugi19

jngugi19 New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Marco Van Basten's.

4. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I love Rome. It's probably one of my favorite cities in the world that I've ever visited. Then again, I love walking through the Forum and imagining Sulla in a toga proscribing his enemies from the rostra, with the heads of his victims on pike surrounding him, just for a more gruesome effect. :)

Don't get me wrong. Florence is incredible. So is the Amalfi Coast, Perugia, Venice, and all the other places I've visited, but for me, there's something about Rome.

5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I'd actually phoneticize Chievo as "Kyay-voe". Dipthongs (is that the word for two vowels together?) in Italian are really one sound and one syllable. Therefore, Baggio is "Bah-joh" not "Bah-jee-oh".

Another thing that was important for me to learn is that the syllable almost always ends with a vowel. This helps understand the correct way to pronounce, say, Costacurta. In English, you might expect Cos-ta-cur-ta. But it's REALLY Co-sta-cu-rta. You have to be sure to pronounce that "u" before starting the "r" sound.

Personally, the HARDEST part for me in Italian pronunciation is determining which syllable to emphasize. After studying Spanish, with its simple rules, it's almost as if Italian is more "instinctive" in that regard. Why is Pancaro pronounced "PAN-ca-ro", for instance.

Another pronunciation tip - when a consonant is doubled, as in "Totti", it REALLY requires emphasis. I've heard some English-speaking announcers say "Toady". :D But it's TOh-TTTTTTTTi. And this is surprisingly important! I'm endlessly criticized (mostly snickers behind my back) for my incorrect pronuncation of "Nonna" for instance.

Anyway, for one who can barely speak the language, I know a lot about the rules of pronunciation.

Of course, the other rule is, if you go to any rural region - especially in the south - throw all the rules out the window because they essentially speak their own language. My in-laws are from the tiny town of Solano and speak "Solanoto" (sp?), for instance.

6. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Thanks! Good company to keep. I'd prefer to share his birthday than Maradona's!

7. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I feel the same way, having been to Florence and Venice also...there is something special about Rome for me....

great thread!...

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Hey Tree,

What are your favorite restaurants in Florence?

9. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    La Grotta Guelfa is my favorite for Italian food. It's to the left of the main post office in Piazza della Repubblica. GREAT seafood, and hearty typical Tuscan dishes.

For stuff other than Italian...there is a nice little Indian joint on via Ghebellina (near p.zza S. Croce) as well as a hip Spanish place called La Salamanca which is about a block down from there.

"Buco Mario" and "i Lettini" are supposedly the "best" restaurants in Firenze...but WAY too expensive and overrated if you ask me...

10. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tree,

We ate at a place near the train station when we went. Great food, cheap, and gave my kid all the soft drinks he wanted for $10.00

What is up with the blue and red addresses?

11. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    That area by the train station is loaded with cheap places to eat...not the best food, but touristy to nail the arriving ppl at the station.

THe numbers on the buildings are black and red.

Black is for residences, the red are for businesses. quite confusing really

even my street is like that

I live at 56

so it goes like this

52 54 56 58 60 12 14 62 16 64

this is just florence though...maybe the other large cities use different color...i dont remember...

What's really wacky though is sometimes they don't keep the red odds on the same side of the street as the black odds, and vice versa...

italian proficiency :D

That leads us to today's word

"pazzesco"

meaning crazy as hell :)

12. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Buco Mario is OK, but just OK.

BTW, it's "Il Latini," not "i Lettini, Tree. :) I know because I've eaten there about 5 times. It's very, very good and it's not terribly expensive, at least four years ago it wasn't.

By a wide margin, Il Latini had the very best Fiorentina steak I've ever eaten in my life. Which means, by far, the best steak I've ever eaten. I'm no steak freak, but this was amazing.

I recommend to anyone a trip to Il Latini. But it's become fairly well known on the tourist route now and you have to start lining up at noon for lunch and 7 for dinner; any later and you're screwed. No reservations.

As a side note, the chief waiter, a Roman, is the uncle of Luigi Di Biagio, the former Italy international midfielder and ex of Roma and Inter, now with Brescia.

Perhaps the finest restaurant in Florence is the Enoteca Pinchiorri. But I was never willing to part with that much dough.

13. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    you're right...my error...

however, when I went I had the bistecca alla Fiorentina, insalata di farro, and an anitpasto of prosciutto crudo and mozzarella

that set me back 160.000 lire (about $80) about 3 years ago...

and i had no wait at all to get a table...

14. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Damn, that is expensive. I think the most I spent was 50,000 lire, but that must have been at least 5 years ago, and the only time I had the Fiorentina I was a guest of the owners (a lucky day; I was working on a TV show about Italian restaurants). I think the Fiorentina is probably the priciest item on the list.

Now with the euro, it'll be even more expensive, as are most things.

But one day I still want to try the Enoteca Pinchiorri, even if it hurts.

15. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pazzesco is right.

This place was about 10 blocks from the train station, and we were the only tourists in there. The food was amazing and cheap, very non-touristy for certain.

I need to get back there soon.

16. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    Especially when you order penne all'arrabbiata :D

the opposite is somewhat tolerated,when pronouncing the names of A.C.Milan players :p

17. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    btw,are they serving fiorentina with the bone again?

18. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    I only had it that once...and all I remember was about half a cow on my plate. Don't remember about the bone or not...

the thing was HUGE!

19. Milo74

Milo74 Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Milan, Italy
    It's quite a breathtaking experience to read so many people fond of my country.

Thank you all, really.

I hope all he people you meet in Italy is as frendly and open-hearted as you are to my country.
    Sometimes we treat tourists in a way they do not deserve.

A gift for you:

"Primavera non bussa, lei entra sicura
    come il fumo lei penetra in ogni fessura,
    ha le labbra di carne, i capelli di grano,
    che paura, che voglia che ti prenda per mano.
    Che paura, che voglia che ti porti lontano."

F. De Andrè - THE poet

20. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    I was just wondering....
    Isn't the city called Milano and the club Milan? Why is that ?

21. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great thread, this should help speed up my limited knowledge of Italian. :)
    It was founded by Englishmen who called it the english "Milan" instead of the italian "Milano". They decided to keep it AC Milan out of respect for the original founders of the club. That is why the English flag is half of Milan's badge.

22. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great to have you Milo74. I had a very bad experience on my trip to Perugia, well back to Rome from Perugia.

I found the trains horribly run, and because of that I missed my plane by 5 minutes. Had a horrible experience on AlItalia before and after, but despite these little problems...I can't wait to get back.

23. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    I wouldn't have been living here for the 5 years that I have if I didn't enjoy it or love the culture.

Doesn't hurt that Italy gave me one of her daughters to spend my life with either. :)

ok no more mushy crap eheh

Qual'è la parola del giorno? :D

24. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing wrong with that, Tree-- same with me, and my other half, and Australia. :)

But what Milo74 was saying, Italy is one of those places in Europe I'd definitely love to visit someday... which makes this thread all the more meaningful, for preperatory purposes.

25. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Parola del giorno

Cretino!

It's heard all over Italy, every day, in the streets, on buses, in cars.

A group is crossing the street, and a pair of kids on a Vespa whip in front of them, so they yell: 'Ma che cretini!'

Literally, 'But what cretins'! What idiots!

Another example: An AC Milan fan says, 'Milan is going to kill Parma this weekend.' And you say: 'Ma che cretino che sei!' What an idiot you are!

It's a useful word to know, if only because it might be directed at you. ;)