Italia vs. Romania 6/13/08 [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by FNU, Jun 10, 2008.

1. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Del Piero did not have his best game but he did link up with Cassano and put that ball right where it needed to be for Toni to score. Toni has got to be the biggest Goat I have ever seen play for Italy. Anyway if they fail to progress the right thing to do would be to just go young and everyone on the other side of 30 should be history except Buffon. I know they wont do this though because they have WC qualifiers in Sept so more than likely we will see more of the same old.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think that was what Azeglio Vicini did after the 1986 WC fiasco. He brought along Altobelli as a sub in the 1988 Euros and he scored but that was it for him. The nucleus if the 3rd place WC team in Italia 90 were the guys who won the Euro U21 tournament of 1986. Donadoni, Mancini, Vialli, Giannini, Ferri,along with Baresi, Baggio and schilaci.....that wasa pretty young team...

3. Wog Vader

Wog Vader Member

Sep 30, 2004
    Miami Beach

I've read differing reviews on ADP/Perrotta. This has also been reflected in the rankings given by different sources. ADP's performance didn't shock me at all; it was exactly what I expected. Created a lot of offense early on, faded down the stretch. Failed to score, even with some great opportunities.

But this criticism, as above, aimed at him, is ridiculous and unwarranted, as was the "5" rating he was given by one source. He was hardly the worst player out there and did some good things. All in all, it was a fairly average performance.

4. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Not gonna blame our lack of goals on Del Piero, because as far as I'm concerned he obviously isn't our only striker that has struggled in this competition. At the same time though, it was very apparent (as most of us originally feared) that he just doesn't have the legs to be a serious threat for more than a half of football. He was clearly burnt out and ineffective in the second half, and Donadoni should've subbed him earlier.

In contrast, Del Piero definitely looked more dangerous when he was brought on as a sub against Holland. In just a half an hour of football against Holland he had more scoring opportunities and was more of a threat that he was in 70 minutes of football against Romania.

From what I can tell, Del Piero's strengths are of more use when he's brought in later in the match to play against the opposition's tired defense. It is during this time where his lack of pace and mobility are less of a factor and he could use his creativity and intelligence to its fullest extent.

5. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Perrotta sucked a donkey dick and was playing the invisible man for a majority of the game. The whole team doesn't give a shit, maybe a select few, from the looks of it. They rather be on some beach right now getting blow jobs.

6. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Perrotta was solid defensively and both him and De Rossi did a lot of the dirty work when our defenders were once again spinning around in circles like chickens with their heads cut off. He has already proven himself to be a better box to box midfielder than Ambrosini, and his defensive pressence is irreplaceable at this point.

7. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But when we had possession, he was invisible on the offensive for playing the wing/center I don't even know what position he was playing because he barely touched the ball and botched a possible strike. He's obviously still injured and we should have took Montolivo.

8. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]

Enjoy Donadoni, enjoy.

9. Wog Vader

Wog Vader Member

Sep 30, 2004
    Miami Beach

Well . . . he was playing a support type role, but the point I was trying to make is that he is very wasteful with the chances that do fall to him.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you've said.

10. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    lets be honest here, the main person to blame for this defeat is the lack of goals from luca toni... this entire side is built around him... the fullbacks only look for him, pirlo only looks for the fullbacks, if toni doesnt score, italy wont score unless its a set piece...

i have said this before, for a guy who we built our entire team around, he really isnt making it worth our while...

11. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    He got no service the first match and in the second match he had a valid goal disallowed, forced several tough saves and set up what should have been nice assists on two occasions.

12. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I also need to step up and defend Toni. He's way too isolated and the only times he sees a ball it's in the air. To me, Donadoni is to blame not Toni. The team has not attacking tactics. That's the problem they just don't know what to do out there, and considering they don't know who is playing or in what formation until 30 minutes before the game I don't see how they can be blamed. Hopefully with Cassano on the pitch from the 1st we can see some of our players inserted into spaces.

13. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Well, if the team was built around Toni, then it was built like a funnel. Even though we played well against Romania, the focus was getting the ball to Toni. And often, he was looking to head the ball to a teammate. The crosses and long balls had some affect but we needed to mix it up more, play some short passes, especially in front of the penalty area. Then things would have opened up better for Toni. Now how that is going to get accomplished with Ambrosini and Gatusso in midfield, you got me.

14. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    he could have had 2 hat tricks against romania... and in a high profile game like this, he wasnt going to get too many chances (which he stil got plenty of) and he needed to finish the chances that he did get... i know he had a goal disallowed but he had a plethora of chances, and the fact that he only got the ball in the air would be a valid argument if one of his strongest abilities wasnt his heading ability... however crappy the tactics were and the play was, he got plenty of chances to score... he didnt, and the game that we played only catered to his ability to head the ball... people are insulting del piero, but that game was hardly catered to take advanatage of his ability...

i dont blame him against holland..

15. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    whats your excuse for romania then!?

16. LToni

LToni Member

Nov 25, 2007
    toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly,nothing will get accomplished in fact i think we will be lucky to score 1 goal.I can see it now,Italy playing the whole game with their backs against the wall.

17. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The excuse against Romania? I think I explained it above. We were a bit too much one dimensional, sending long balls and crosses to Toni instead of mixing it up. Early in the match, we played a lot calmer, knocking the ball around. Then as the game got going, we seemed to play a lot more desperate, trying to be too direct. We were unlucky. Credit to the Romanian defenders for playing scrappy and to their keeper. Toni set up DeRossi perfectly. If it was his header instead of DeRossi, would people give the keeper credit or say that Toni just can't finish? In some sense, DeRossi could have done better. But that is the game.

18. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ah, i thought you were talking about the holland game since you ended that with gattuso and ambro in midfield...

i agree that we were being too one dimensional and that there were a couple of misses, (im thinking perotta right in front of goal, de rossi chance, of the top of my head) by other players, but the bulk of chances fell to luca toni... dont get me wrong, i dont dislike toni or anything like that, but on another day, he would have had a hat trick... even with the one dimensional play, he had so many chances and on a usual day he would have finished a couple of them quite easily...

i have also mentioned this before, we lack creativity up front... the midfield was producing enough, pirlo and de rossi played countless fantastic balls to zambrotta and grosso on the flanks... its not like they couldnt play down the middle, its just who can the play the ball down the middle to... italy have always had a player like totti who could bring creativity down the middle just behind the strikers... pirlo plays too deep to be able to do that... however, if cassano played, i believe that we will be able to do so...

you say this isnt possible with gattuso or ambro, but i really dont think of that to be the case... at milan we play a very central game, so its not like they dont have the ability to do so, its just that they dont have anyone in the center to pass to... they arent creative midfielders, you and i both know that, all they can do is get the ball to the people who can...

19. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    When I mentioned Ambro and Gatusso, it was response to both of them starting against France. I don't mind one of them but both at the same time does not fit with this team. It is a different story when you have Seedorf and Kaka in front of you.

All we needed was one of Luca's chances to go in and all of us are singing a different tune. The other thing, we started to get into a running game. That does not suit our style at all. We played more than well enough to beat Romania. Too many little things went against us.

20. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ^^^ yeah i agree... it just didnt seem to be toni's day... but i think the problem is that the team's tactics or lack thereof means that if toni is not on, italy is not on...

21. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That seems to be our theme this tournament...

22. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    This tournament only?

23. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team: