Italia vs. France (9.8.07) [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Matteo4Azzurri, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's not that far off. Let's talk about the game Italy must take.

2. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Italia vs. France (9.8.07)

I want Gila to take his number 11 back from Di Natale

3. Porteghal

Porteghal BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 13, 2005

today's hungary loss did not help the situation

Italy must annihate France on the 8th

4. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Gotta control the midfield for this game so Donadoni must find some way to put Gattuso Pirlo and De Rossi in there at the same time. Probably it would be best to use a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 though they could use a 4-3-2-1. Not sure who at this point I would put behind Toni but lets just say if Cassano shows anything in these first two games that is the way that I would go if it were up to me because I am sick of everybody else.

5. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I think Cassano or Gila will make the squad in a few weeks.

As for the game itself, I think it's key Italy plays THEIR game. That means great ball possesion & sound defense. We have to take advantage of that San Siro crowd which will be screaming for you-know-who's head.

:D

6. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i Agree they should NOT play the way they did in the World Cup final.
    Italy should control the game and do NOT let people like Ribery and Henry loose. You can't let France attack, they already think they can beat Italy cuz of that 3-1 loss last year right after the world cup.

7. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006

One of our most noticeable weaknesses in today's friendly was in our midfield. The absence of Perrotta, Gattuso, and De Rossi was noticeable right from the start as we constantly lost battles for the ball and continuously allowed the Hungarians to run right through with the greatest of ease. We haven't been known for having the most creative midfielders over the last few years, but at least we've compensate for this with solid defensive support from our midfield. Today we lacked both.

8. Massimo_Oddo

Massimo_Oddo New Member

Jan 24, 2006

I dont see how a 4 4 2 or 4 4 1 1 would incorporate all unless you play Gattuso on the wing which is not ideal.

4 3 2 1 is the best option with De Rossi, Pirlo and Gattuso being the 3 and Di Natale and Quagliarella being the 2 that support Toni.

9. vincep5

vincep5 Member

Jun 19, 2005

You can probably expect a change in formation for this game. Along with seeing a few new faces in the starting 11 and on the bench. We cant get the last game bother us too much. A concern I do have, is if Materazzi cannot play, can Barzagli step it up?

10. magik9113

magik9113 Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Conn.

Maybe if we can get Camoranesi and Perrotta back then they can play a 4-4-2. 4-3-1-2 like they did in the world cup with Del Piero or even Aquilani playing Totti's 1 position could work too, but I'll leave it up to the coach. We mainly do have to be fit for this game. A lot of France's players play in Spain and they start this weekend like us so hopefully we won't be too far behind. The Materazzi injury might be a killer :(

11. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

Formation Vs France :

4-3-2-1

Buffon
    Zambrotta; Cannavaro, Materazzi/Criscito/Barzagli *, Grosso,
    Gattuso, Pirlo, De Rossi
    Perrotta/Di Natale, Aquilani/Quagliarella//Cassano-> If he is in great form
    Toni

*Since Matrix may not recover in time......

12. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006

I won't try to give a particular formation, but I will list the players that I would like to see called up:

Goalkeepers: Buffon, Amelia, De Sanctis

Defenders: Cannavaro, Materazzi, Barzagli, Chiellini, Zambrotta, Oddo, Grosso,

Midfield: Gattuso, De Rossi, Pirlo, Perrotta, Rosina (wishful thinking), Mauri, Aquilani

Forwards: Di Natale, Gilardino, Toni, Miccoli, Quagliarella

13. metallicaband

metallicaband Member

Jun 11, 2004

Same here, except I'd choose Camoranesi over Mauri. I hope Materazzi would be fit by then, we really need him for that match.

Italy better prepare well for this match. After the disgraceful defeat against Hungary, there will be A LOT of pressure from the press and we all know that Italy usually plays well when they're under pressure, so lets just thank God that Italy sucked now instead of the game against France and hope for the best.

14. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

Quagliarella disappeared today.......................he is of no use on the right...............
    Either play him behind Toni or don't play him at all.

15. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yea i was gonna say...i expect sooo much from him.
    I really hope he steps it up in the france game.

16. Gnafron

Gnafron Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Lyon, Cx-Rousse
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France

France may face defensive issues with Coupet, Gallas, Sagnol out...

Our crap coach seems to have discovered that Méxès is good and may be tempted by a central defense Abidal-Méxès if Thuram is not fit.

A good point for Italia

17. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma

Matrix is out until Christmas!

18. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA

He could be back sooner, depending on how they treat him and the attention given.

Considering Materazzi, and the importance of him being home soon, as well as Inter's cash funds, he could just make it. But Barzagli would be a fine replacement.

That being said - I was thinking the same thing yesterday, before the game about (whoever said it above) losing and getting the pressure before the game to challenge France. Hopefully that pressure will give is the determination and strength for it.

I honestly thought my parents were trying to piss me off joking when they told me the scoreline. Usually they do that, and it's almost always by the same score - so for six hours at work I agonized over what really happened.

We'd better crush France in order to redeem ourselves.

19. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Donadoni should play the Christmas Tree 4-3-2-1 with two support players behind Toni. With the 4-2-3-1 Di Natale/Del Piero and Quagliarella were too wide and couldn't see the ball as much. With the Christmas tree the two support players can get the ball more and be more dangerous.

20. Massimo_Oddo

Massimo_Oddo New Member

Jan 24, 2006

I totally agree, with the 4 2 3 1, Di Natale and Quagliarella had to stay out wide. If we use a 4 3 2 1 our midfield will be more solid and will allow Quag and Di Natale to cut inside and be more creative (Similar to the way Kaka and Seedorf are given free roles for Milan).

21. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

yep, and we can play with two hard workers like Gattuso and De Rossi, allowing Pirlo to run free and take on more creative duties.

22. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA

That actually sounds like a really good plan.

23. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I had a dream last night that we won 2-0. :)

Materazzi had some operation today to speed his recovery. Most likely not going to be available. :(

24. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA

How often do your dreams come true?

I've been saying 2-0 for a while.... That's what I'm still hoping for.

25. metallicaband

metallicaband Member

Jun 11, 2004

I hope some kind of miracle happens and Materazzi recovers in time for the match, I don't think Barzagli would be good enough for this match. Another miracle would be Nesta coming back to support the Azzurri when they really need him if Materazzi doesn't recover in time !