Italia vs Espana 2nd round

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Marco Delvecchio, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Marco Delvecchio

Marco Delvecchio Red Card

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Only due to an arduriz offside goal did we not end our run of poor matches vs the Spanish. Rematch of last euros finale where we were punished 4-0. I think the only way we would lose would be on penalties. I think we will beat Spain.

Rosay repped this.
  2. Marco Delvecchio

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Insigne. Play him from the start which won't happen. If it did, he'd unlock the Spanish defence at will.

Deleted User x and afar repped this.
  3. Star-Lord

Star-Lord Member+

Aug 10, 2014
    Uranus
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    3-0 Spain, Juve B goes home early.

Rossonero23 repped this.
  4. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    If Spain win it'll be the third time in a row that they've knocked out Italy in this tournament.

Marco Delvecchio repped this.
  5. Star-Lord

Star-Lord Member+

Aug 10, 2014
    Uranus
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If the miracle happens Gernany is likely next. Winning the group was the biggest mistake.

6. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    the format sucked from the beginning and I knew it would lead to screwy brackets

saying only the group winners of A B C and D will play the four best 3rd place teams was highly stupid

they needed to create more balance somehow and include one of the winners of either group E or group F

it was like they said...f7ck it...we will just put the winners of the first four groups ( A through D ) against the four best 3rd place teams without even bothering to see how this could go wrong

Deleted User x and sorin boeangiu repped this.
  7. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Should of somehow been points based. Top 4 group winners by tie breaker play third place? But of course then they couldn't guarantee the hosts a third place team ;)

8. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Don't know about you guys, but if we can't get to the semis then I want soain to beat us. I do not want to lose our record to Germany because of contes stupid picks.

9. nesta-maldini

nesta-maldini New Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    First and foremost I would like to say I'm new here. I have been following a lot of the posts on this forum all throughout the year with the azzurri, you guys provide some awesome opinions

Next regarding todays game, italy looked totally deflated. Insigne seemed to be the only one with a strong showing.

Via Football Italia --Did insigne play good? contes answer "“I don’t know. It was a very physical match, I introduced Insigne when the Irish defence spread out a bit and created gaps from the midfield." I would take this as a poor vote of confidence and highly doubt he will start against spain. Brutal considering he is our only creative outlet.

Conte had a game where he should have experimented with some different attacking combos all game. Instead we picked up a few more yellows, and a spanking by a shitty ireland team. I would take this game with a grain of salt and brush it off.

I think we will be much more organized and ready for spain. The Azzurri remember 08 12 and confeds. We need to make this a scrappy game and i like our chances!

10. Marco Delvecchio

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Penalties written allover it.

monere repped this.
  11. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Spain can be beaten and can be destroyed, 2 examples Conte should learn from:
    Confed cup final brazil- spain 3-0
    WC 2014 HOLLAND - Spain 5-1
    add to that our revenge motive

Saint Miccoli, forza_azzurri and Rosay repped this.
  12. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Na. Sounds like he's more annoyed at the journalist.

Not that he'll start, but if we can't touch the ball in midfield, I'm sure he'll be getting a run.

Rosay repped this.
  13. SignorColtello

SignorColtello New Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Club:
    FC Tokyo
    Lorenzo please

14. joe83

joe83 Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Yes, Insigne needs to play this game.

Bottom line, Spain cannot score first. I can't see us coming back from a one goal deficit. Spain will kill us with possession and we would be lucky to get a few fast breaks..

Rossonero23 repped this.
  15. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's going to be a boring game, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, shoot, miss, counter, lose possession, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, shoot, miss....rinse and repeat

monere, indestructible and GIGI RIVA repped this.
  16. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This would have made too much sense.

Or why not just do eight teams. The six group winners and the two best runner ups. Sure two group winners would get to face runner ups while the rest played each other but you'd have to imagine that would be more balanced then it is right now.

To me, the issue isn't that Italy has to face Spain. It's that the other group winners were always going to get an easier match regardless. Even if Spain topped the group and Italy faced Croatia, that's still tougher than having to face a team like Hungry, Iceland, etc etc.

It was completely unfair to the winners of the last two groups.

17. Marco Delvecchio

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Spain beat the Czechs late and beat turkey. Lost to croatia after leading and played them without their best player and attacker. This isn't the same Spain team we've seen in the past. We've been in cruise control since our opening win vs Belgium. We should be beating Spain.

Deleted User x, forza_azzurri and Rosay repped this.
  18. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Insigne should be starting . When it was official that Italy had the group won and were going to face Spain I knew they were going to play like crap against Ireland , But still no excuses. Here is hoping Pissed off Italy shows up on Monday. there is a huge revenge factor here.

Deleted User x and Rosay repped this.
  19. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Actually, football italia.net have a habbit of lazily translating. What Conte said is actually more annoying.

He said "I dont know if insigne deserved more minutes". I'll repeat it again, Conte took Insigne unwillingly and only to give himself some peace from the media. Just imagine had he not taken one single player from the 2nd placed serie A team.

20. joe83

joe83 Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    This gives us a nice balance of Defence and Forward/Counter attacking ability.

Buffon
    Barzagli - Bonucci - Chiellini
    Florenzi - DeRossi -Giaccherini- Darmian
    Insigne
    Pelle - Eder

Subs:
    The Pharoah for Eder, Desciglio for Darmian and not sure on last sub.

monere and forza_azzurri repped this.
  21. turco3

turco3 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Why is everyone blown away by the format for the round of 16? We are using the same format as WC 86-94. If we were in the easy bracket no one here would care.

Star-Lord repped this.
  22. TheGrimSweeper

Jul 16, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Candreva will be starting for sure. He always plays well for The Azzurri.

SignorColtello and Rosay repped this.
  23. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Thanks for the insight. Candreva is a lock, along with Buffon, BBC, Parolo, Giaccherini, Eder, Pelle, and De Rossi. In fact the only spot up for grabs is the left hand wing

24. Gianluca511

Gianluca511 Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The first four teams to have qualified for the knockout stage should have been seeded against the four third-seeded teams that have qualified.

Saint Miccoli repped this.
  25. turco3

turco3 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Yes a re-seed would be ideal but we knew the format was going to be the same as WC 86-94 so why are we upset now and not before?