It starts! WCQ 2022.Who do you call up for the first round?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Eleven Bravo, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    September 2 @ El Salvador
    September 5 vs Canada
    September 8 @ Honduras

Injury list:
    OUT: Morris, Ledezma, Long
    POSSIBLE: Musah, Richards, Zimmerman

...Okay, it’s about to start. The games that matter. We’ve seen both good and bad from Berhalter, but now, it’s time that he will be judged appropriately based on results. This first go-round will be a difficult one... we’ve got three games back-to-back with a lot of travel and without a lot of rest. Who do you call in?

...Of note, I believe it would be wise for Berhalter to call in 28-30 players rather than the customary 23 due to the intense scheduling.

...Now, as much we might want to experiment with new guys and new formations. Expect us to go with what we know... except in some odd cases... for this first round. We don’t want any surprises and I think we’ll see the best of the blend of Gold Cup and Nations League.

...Note, until I know otherwise, I’m excluding the injured guys even if they could be fit in time.

My 30 man roster....
    GK Zack Steffen, Matt Turner, Ethan Horvath
    RB Shaq Moore, DeAndre Yedlin, Bryan Reynolds
    LB Sergino Dest, Jedi Robinson, Sam Vines
    CB John Brooks, Miles Robinson
    CB James Sands, Cameron Carter-Vickers
    MF Weston McKennie, Luca de la Torre
    MF Tyler Adams, Kelyn Acosta, Johnny Cardoso
    MF Brenden Aaronson, Sebastian Lletget, Julian Green
    RW Gio Reyna, Tim Weah
    LW Christian Pulisic, Konrad de la Fuente
    FW Matthew Hoppe, Daryl Dike, Ricardo Pepi, Josh Sargent, Jordan Pefok

...just cut: Cade Cowell, Caden Clark, David Ochoa, Matt Miazga, Erik Palmer-Brown, Reggie Cannon, Joe Scally, Cristian Roldan, Gianluca Busio, Tanner Tessman, John Tolkin, Kevin Paredes, Mark McKenzie, Kyle Duncan, Tim Chandler, Aaron Herrera

Game 1 @ El Salvador:
    ——————Pefok—————
    Hoppe—————————Weah
    ——McKennie——-Lletget——
    ——————-Acosta————
    Jedi——————————Yedlin
    ————Brooks—Sands——-
    ——————-Horvath————-

bench: Steffen, CCV (Brooks) 80, Reynolds (Yedlin) 70, Johnny (Acosta) 80, De la Torre (McKennie) 70, Pepi (Pefok) 70, Sargent

Vs Canada
    ——————-Dike———————
    Pulisic——————————Reyna
    ——McKennie——-Aaronson———
    ——————-Adams——————-
    Dest———————————-Moore
    ————Brooks——Sands————
    ———————Turner——————

Bench: Steffen, CCV, Vines (Moore) 60, Acosta (McKennie) 60, Lletget (Aaronson) 70, Konrad (Pulisic) 70, Sargent (Dike) 70

@ Honduras
    ——————Sargent—————-
    Pulisic——————————Weah
    ———-McKennie—Green————
    ——————-Adams——————
    Dest———————————Yedlin
    —————Brooks—-Miles———-
    ———————Steffen—————-

Bench: Turner, CCV (Brooks) 80, Moore, Acosta (McKennie) 70, Aaronson (Green) 60, Hoppe (Pulisic) 70, Dike (Sargent) 80

gomichigan24 repped this.
  2. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are the rosters 30 people? I thought you were only allowed to call up a certain number of people for these things.

EDIT: Looks like the infamous camp was 26, so I guess it's up to the coach? Anyways, look how ugly it was: https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2...smnt-world-cup-qualifying-roster-october-2017

3. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    those "just cut" guys, were they officially cut?

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am going to wait until the Gold Cup is officially over before I participate in this thread.

gogorath and adam tash repped this.
  5. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can call up as many players they want. People are speculating about the 30 person number. The key is you can have 23 players per qualifier and you have to name the 23 twenty four hours in advance. But you can change it from qualifier to qualifier.

gogorath and adam tash repped this.
  6. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like most of these choices. I think Reynolds will depend on how much he's playing with Roma the first couple weeks of the season. I also think given how many of these players have never played in qualifying before, we're likely to see a bunch of vets called in to fill spots 23-30. So in addition to who you have I bet Ream, Zardes, and Arriola will be there. I also think we'll probably need more than 4 center backs.

I also would love to see Green, CCV, and LDLT on the roster but I don't know if Berhalter would do it. I do feel like we don't have alot of other center mid options though, especially if Musah can't go. I guess the question is where does he rate Roldan, Busio, and Williamson vs Green and LDLT. I really really hope we see Pepi there (and to a lesser extent Clark).

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, I know Berhalter will rely on his old guys. But at the start of WCQ, it’s time to cut the cord and move on.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    cf = Jordan Pepi Zardes Dike
    wf/if = Pulisic Reyna Weah Aaronson Hoppe Roldan,KDLF
    cm = McKennie Adams Acosta Busio Sands Lletget Green
    cb = Brooks Richards Zimmerman Robinson McKenzie
    fb = Jedi, Vines, Dest, Cannon
    gk = Steffen, Horvath, Turner

No newbies in defense.

9. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 Boysinblue, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Looking at this made me think that Zimmerman is actually kinda important with the 3 games in one window situation. Because Brooks ideally should be rested for one match during the window, leaving Richards, Robinson, McKenzie, Sands, CCV, Miazga, EPB, and Zimmerman as possible options, taking into account Long's injury. Out of them, Zimmerman and Miazga are the only ones with more than 10 caps. Miazga doesn't strike me as the kind of steady-hand, level-headed leader that I would want next to younger, more inexperienced guys like Richards, Robinson, or McKenzie. 3 CBs with Richards/McKenzie, Robinson, and Sands is fine but against Honduras and El Salvador we should go 4-3-3 and try to dominate the midfield more IMO.

eliwood repped this.
  10. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My hope is that Berhalter calls in the vets for the first window but then phases them out for subsequent windows. I'm not against the idea there is some value to having some guys who have been there before in terms of road qualifiers with trips to El Salvador and Honduras on tap in that first window. But the utility of that diminishes quickly after the first round of qualifying as the whole team will have then had that experience.

11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your logic, but don’t we have enough experience with Steffen, Dest, Brooks, Yedlin, McKennie, Adams, Pulisic, and Reyna? That’s the core of the team, who all have multiple years of UCL level experience and top 5 tier level experience, in addition to CNL level experience. Plus two World Cup veterans. I don’t see what Zardes, etc experience can provide, except how to not qualify for a World Cup. Now, I get that Zardes is a hard worker and a good teammate, and that has its value. But I think we’ve got our bases covered with experience going into this thing.

Kevin625 repped this.
  12. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think of the core group only three players have played in WCQ before, Pulisic, Brooks, and Lletget. And then of the players you mentioned Yedlin has been there before. Berhalter I also believe is the first USMNT coach to actually have gone through qualifying as a player.

I just think going on the road in Concacaf is different/unique in terms of its difficulty in a way you don't really experience in a top 5 league or in the Champions League. We have a super young team that doesn't really have experience with it, despite very high level experience in Europe. I think they all got a taste of that in Nations League, but going on the road is going to be a whole other level.

This is a recent podcast where Heath Pearce discusses what it's like from 9:00 to 17:35 and 26:23 to 30:24 that kind of illustrates what I'm thinking of.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gh/podca...ace-to-play-world/id327466681?i=1000515955930

Boysinblue repped this.
  13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Active:

gk's: Horvath, Turner, Steffen
    fb's: Dest, Yedlin, ARob, Vines
    cb's: Brooks, MRob, McKenzie, Richards
    6's: Adams, Sands
    8's: McKennie, Musah
    10's: Gio, Lletget
    wings: Pulisic, Weah, Aaronson, Hoppe
    cf's: Dike, Sargent, Zardes

Brought for standby:

Moore, Green, Arriola, Pepi, Zimmerman, Acosta

14. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Tough trio of games with so many CBs injured. Assuming all of them are out …

My default 23 / 30:

Steffen
    Horvath
    ARob
    Vines
    Dest
    Cannon
    Moore
    Brooks
    McKenzie
    MRob
    Sands
    Adams
    Acosta
    McKennie
    Busio
    Williamson
    Pulisic
    Aaronson
    Reyna
    Weah
    Hoppe
    Sargent
    Zardes
    ———-
    Turner
    Miazga
    Lleget
    Bello
    Dike
    Pefok

15. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the coach, what I would probably want to do for this first round is bring together the best of both the NL and Gold Cup roster, as the start of the “core” of this team.

That would include....
    GK Steffen, Turner, Horvath
    FB Dest, Moore, Jedi, Yedlin, Vines
    CB Brooks, Miles, Miazga, Sands, Richards+
    MF Adams, McKennie, Acosta, Lletget, Aaronson, Roldan, Williamson
    FW Pulisic, Weah, Reyna, Pefok, Zardes, Hoppe, Gioacchini, Pepi+, Cowell+

@ El Salvador

—————Zardes—————
    Pulisic————————Weah
    ——Reyna——McKennie——
    —————Acosta—————-
    Jedi—————————-Yedlin
    ———-Brooks—Miles————-
    —————Turner——————

Subs:
    Hoppe (Pulisic) 60
    Lletget (Reyna) 60
    Moore (Yedlin) 70
    Cowell (Weah) 80
    Pepi (Zardes) 80

Vs Canada
    —————Pefok—————-
    Pulisic————————Hoppe
    ——McKennie——Reyna——
    —————-Adams—————
    Dest—————————Moore
    ———-Brooks—Miles———-
    —————-Steffen—————-

Subs:
    Vines (Moore) 60 ~ move Dest to RB
    Lletget (McKennie) 60
    Gioacchini (Pulisic) 70
    Aaronson (Reyna) 70
    Richards (Miles) 80

@ Honduras
    —————Pefok—————-
    Pulisic————————Weah
    —McKennie——Aaronson—-
    —————-Adams—————
    Dest—————————Yedlin
    ———-Brooks—-Miles———-
    —————-Horvath—————

Subs:
    Hoppe (Weah) 60
    Lletget (Aaronson) 60
    Sands (Adams) 70
    Reyna (Pulisic) 70
    Miazga (Brooks) 80

Notes:
    ...Due to the injury situation ~ Zimmerman, Musah out (really wanted him to be in there); Richards in

...Due to a new club situation ~ I did leave off Busio.

...Due to a poor (or not good enough) tournament, or I wanted to give a break to, I left off McKenzie (I want to see Miazga instead now), Yuiell, Lewis, Dike (he needs some rest), Sargent (he’s got to score goals), Ream, Bello, Cannon, Pines, Kessler, Guzan, Johnson, and Arriola. I want to see more from these guys before they’re called back in.

... I don’t know what’s going on with Ochoa and Araujo.

...Guys who I really wanted to see but they can wait I suppose: Clark, Cowell, Pepi, Konrad, Green, Scally, Reynolds, Carter-Vickers, Palmer-Brown, and De la Torre. Not calling these guys into camp; while may have helped their club careers; it hurt or paused their national team careers. Nonetheless, we should start to see some of these guys sprinkled into the team. Of these, I believe it’s important to include Cowell and Pepi now and not later.

...I’m even looking forward to Tessman, Johnny, Balogun, Bassett, Booth, Otasowie, Flach, Tolkin, Paredes, Gomez, and Sanogo. But I’d hold off for now.

16. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Here's my 26 to call into camp, assuming health where reasonable to expect it:

Steffen, Horvath, Turner
    Dest, Cannon, Brooks, M. Robinson, McKenzie, Richards, A. Robinson, Vines, Sands
    McKennie, Adams, Musah, Acosta, Lletget, De La Torre, Green
    Pulisic, Reyna, Aaronson, Sargent, Weah, Hoppe, Zardes

A few alternates if necessary:
    Moore, Bello, Miazga
    Williamson
    Pefok

17. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that the Gold Cup is over my guess on what I think Berhalter will do, operating on the assumption that injuries might keep Musah, Richards, and Zimmerman out.

GK: Steffen, Turner, Horvath
    RB Moore, Yedlin, Cannon
    LB Dest, Robinson, Vines
    CB Brooks, Miazga, Ream
    CB Robinson, Mckenzie
    DM Adams, Acosta, Sands
    MF Mckennie, Busio, Williamson
    MF Lletget, Roldan,
    RW Reyna, Weah, Arriola
    LW Pulisic, Aaronson, Hoppe,
    FW Zardes, Dike, Sargent, Pefok

I'd like to see Pepi, Clark, and CCV included but I don't if they will be for this first window. With CCV, Green, KDLF, and LDLT its hard to tell where exactly Berhalter rates them.

I personally wouldn't bring Ream but I think Berhalter may do so, especially if there are injury concerns with Zimmerman and Richards. I think our top six center backs are pretty set in Brooks, Richards, Robinson, McKenzie, Miazga, and Zimmerman, it's just after that where things start to be more in question.

18. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I only put Dest out left if he wants to play out left. Between ARob, Vines and Bello we don’t need to put Dest where he doesn’t want to be.

Hoppe deserves to compete for the CF spot. He did Herman’s work tracking all the way back but the kid is 6’3” and hunts goals like the Terminator hunts people. He need to be one of the CFs. We have lots of good LWs. Dike needs to show he cannot,at again before he gets back in the mix.

acima repped this.
  19. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I thought I heard that for this cycle you can name a larger than 23 man roster (28?) for each 3-game window, and then choose different 18s for each game. If so, my 28 if all are healthy and available.

GK: Steffen, Turner, Horvath
    CB: Brooks, Richards, MRobinson, Zimmerman
    RB: Dest, Moore, Yedlin
    LB: ARob, Bello
    DM: Adams, Acosta, Sands
    #8s: McKennie, Moussa, Williamson, Green
    #10: Reyna
    LW: Pulisic, Aaronson, KDLF
    RW: Weah, Morris
    CF: Hoppe, Sargent, Zardes

20. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #20 David Kerr, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    Going to just do a 23 man team because anything outside of that is too unpredictable and who knows how the staff will prioritize extra players

Omitted players due to injury: Aaron Long, Chris Richards, Yunus Musah, Walker Zimmerman

GK: Matt Turner, Zack Steffen, Ethan Horvath
    RB: Sergiño Dest, Reggie Cannon, DeAndre Yedlin
    LB: Antonee Robinson
    CB: John Brooks, Miles Robinson, Mark McKenzie, James Sands
    6: Tyler Adams, Kellyn Acosta
    8: Weston McKennie, Eryk Williamson
    8/10: Brenden Aaronson, Sebastian Lletget
    Wings: Christian Pulisic, Gio Reyna, Tim Weah
    Strikers: Josh Sargent, Gyasi Zardes, Matthew Hoppe

Close cuts: Julian Green, Jordan Siebatcheu, Shaq Moore, Sam Vines, Paxton Pomykal, Matt Miazga

The defense due to injuries really picks itself. Chris Richards if healthy is a lock for a spot and Aaron Long/Walker Zimmerman each have an argument as well but definitely are not locks. The fullbacks are an obvious choice and unless Sam Vines makes the team those 4 are the guys.

The midfield has their automatic locks in Weston McKennie, Tyler Adams, and Kellyn Acosta. Sebastian Lletget and Eryk Williamson I think also make the squad as they each bring different qualities and overall are at the level. Julian Green could however push Lletget out of this team if he performs with his club. I list Brenden Aaronson with the midfield because with Yunus Musah out I think moving Brenden into the midfield brings more quality and creativity into the team then starting Lletget, Williamson, or Acosta.

The forwards really pick themselves as well. A riot would happen if Pulisic, Reyna, and Weah are not here. Sargent in my opinion is our most well rounded striker and brings the most balance to our lineup. Gyasi and Hoppe are both in contention for that backup spot and neither have yet laid a claim to that spot or given a big enough argument to kick the other out yet. Hoppe has more talent but still makes a lot of mistakes and is very raw while with Gyasi you have a very dependable but very limited striker who can come off the bench and score a late goal.

Overall, the roster has a very good blend of youth, experience, and potential. This group will gain that chemistry over the busy slate of games that lie ahead and I think this can be a very good team

21. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #21 Eleven Bravo, Aug 2, 2021
    08/02/2021 Update (Mostly trying to bring in the best of NL and GC):

GOALKEEPERS
    1. Matt Turner - GC
    2. Ethan Horvath - NL
    3. Zack Steffen - NL

...These picks are obvious. It’s less obvious if one can’t go. Nonetheless, I would allow all three to start one game.
    ...I don’t know what going on with David Ochoa. He seems to be a bit of a head case. And we don’t need that if so. Still, I hope he chooses the US. But it won’t be for this camp.
    ...Sean Johnson and Brad Guzan are my alternates.

FULLBACKS
    1. Sergino Dest - NL
    2. DeAndre Yedlin - NL
    3. Antonee Robinson - NL
    4. Sam Vines - GC
    5. George Bello - GC
    6. Shaq Moore - GC

...This is a bit heavy, but I want to reward these guys.
    ...Reggie Cannon could use a break from the national team to focus on club. Plus, he was the weakest fullback in the tournaments so he’s the odd man out.
    ...Bryan Reynolds and Joe Scally will have to wait.
    ...Aaron Herrera, Kyle Duncan, Kevin Paredes, John Tolkin, and Jonathan Gomez aren’t ready yet.
    ...Julian Araujo can wait longer if he wants to play for the US or not. Declining the call up made it harder for him to break in now. But he could be one for a December/January Camp.

CENTER BACKS
    1. John Brooks - NL
    2. Miles Robinson - GC
    3. Chris Richards +
    4. Mark McKenzie - NL
    5. James Sands - GC

...Brooks and Robinson should go in as our main duo.
    ...Richards needs to be brought into the fold. He only missed these tournaments due to injury.
    ...McKenzie and Sands made a lot of mistakes but both busted their ass. For that reason, I want to reward them over Erik Palmer-Brown and Cameron Carter-Vickers who blew a major chance to be part of something big. Those two (EPB & CCV) need to re-earn their call up.
    ...James Sands will double as an extra 6.
    ...Matt Miazga is my alternate / guy who just missed out.
    ...Walker Zimmerman is out with an injury. We know Aaron Long is out too.
    ...I’m not ready to call in Lennard Maloney.
    ...Donovan Pines and Henry Kessler can be saved for a December/January call up.
    ...Tim Ream should be done with the US program except maybe as a coach?
    ...Justin Che and Josh Atencio will have to wait.

#6 MIDFIELDERS
    1. Tyler Adams - NL
    2. Kelyn Acosta - NL & GC

...Adams and Acosta should be straightforward selections. Acosta has definitely earned the right to be there. And he will be a bridge between the two teams.
    ...Jackson Yuiell needs to be dropped.
    ...Gianluca Busio needs to be allowed to settle in and mature at Venezia. We should see him again, but we don’t need him either.
    ...Tanner Tessman, Johnny Cardoso, Owen Otasowie, Chris Durkin, Leon Flach, Taylor Booth, Moses Nyeman, Danny Leyva, and Andres Perea will have to wait and do more to get selected.

#8 MIDFIELDERS
    1. Weston McKennie - NL
    2. Eryk Williamson - GC
    3. Cristian Roldan - GC

...McKennie is obvious but I want to reward Williamson and Roldan with another call up.
    ...Yunus Musah is out injured.
    ...Luca de la Torre is probably going to regret declining that call up. Now, he has to prove that he’s better than Williamson and Roldan.
    ...Christian Cappis, Paxton Pomykal, Djordje Mihailovic, Frankie Amaya, and Reed Baker-Whiting will have to wait and do more to get selected.

#10 MIDFIELDERS
    1. Brenden Aaronson - NL
    2. Sebastian Lletget - NL & GC
    3. Caden Clark +

...Aaronson is straightforward but I’d call in Lletget as a bridge between the two teams.
    ...Julian Green is an unfortunate casualty of his club declining his call up.
    ...Caden Clark was planning on being at the GC if not for his injury. Therefore, I see the merit in calling him up for this one.
    ...Richie Ledezma is injured still.
    ...Cole Bassett, Duane Holmes, and Quinn Sullivan will have to wait and do more.

RIGHT & LEFT WINGERS
    1. Christian Pulisic - NL
    2. Gio Reyna - NL
    3. Tim Weah - NL
    4. Matthew Hoppe - GC
    5. Niko Gioacchini - GC
    6. Paul Arriola - GC

...Pulisic, Reyna, Weah, and Hoppe are straight forward.
    ...I really wanted to select both Konrad de la Fuente and Cade Cowell. But if I’m Berhalter, I’d let them know that they’ll be at the next camp.
    ....I want to reward Gioacchini for his hard work at the Gold Cup.
    ...Even if we want to see other options... You can’t not call in the captain of the winning team of the Gold Cup.
    ...Jonathan Lewis should be dropped.
    ...Jordan Morris is out injured.
    ...Tyler Boyd, Dante Sealy, Alex Mighten, and Chris Mueller have to wait and do more.

FORWARDS
    1. Jordan Pefok - NL
    2. Josh Sargent - NL
    3. Gyasi Zardes - GC
    4. Ricardo Pepi +

....This one was always going to be controversial but I think we reward or continue to go with Pefok, Zardes, and Sargent to start us off in qualifying.
    ...Pepi get an honorary call up because of how well he’s doing in MLS and also let him know that he could be a key player for us.
    ...Daryl Dike needs a break. So he got the axe for this round. But I expect to see him back again.
    ...Jesus Ferreira, Bobby Wood, Jozy Altidore, Haji Wright, Andrija Novakovich, Malick Sanogo, Folarin Balogun, and Rubio Rubin will have to wait and do more.

CONCLUSION
    ...That brings me to 32 players. If I have to get it down 28 then I guess I would cut Bello, Pepi, Gioacchini, and Clark, but I really don’t want to do that. If I had to cut 5 more, it would be Arriola, Sands, Roldan, Sargent, and Moore. But I hope I can bring all these guys to get a coherent core together for the rest of qualifying.
    ...The goal of these three games will be to (A) win, and (B) continue the streak we’re on.

@ EL SALVADOR
    GK Horvath
    RB Yedlin (Moore)
    CB Brooks
    CB Miles
    LB Jedi (Bello)
    DM Adams
    MF Williamson (Acosta)
    MF Reyna
    RW Weah
    LW Hoppe (Gioacchini)
    FW Zardes (Pepi)

VS CANADA
    GK Turner
    RB Dest
    CB Brooks
    CB Richards
    LB Vines (Jedi)
    DM Acosta
    MF McKennie
    MF Aaronson (Clark)
    RW Weah (Reyna)
    LW Pulisic (Hoppe)
    FW Pefok (Sargent)

@ HONDURAS
    GK Steffen
    RB Yedlin
    CB Brooks (McKenzie)
    CB Miles
    LB Dest
    DM Adams (Sands)
    MF McKennie (Roldan)
    MF Aaronson (Lletget)
    RW Reyna (Arriola)
    LW Pulisic
    FW Sargent

Bluecat82 and Footsatt repped this.
  22. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    Question: does pulisic make the squad if he only gets 1/2 sub appearances as a wing back once the season starts and qualifiers happen.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I still have a hangover from the Gold Cup.

I will mention my post GC hot take- I would consider starting one player from the Gold Cup and that is Robinson.
    He makes me feel a lot better about our back line than anyone from the Nations League.

rlrcpa and The Clientele repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #24 Clint Eastwood, Aug 2, 2021
    Yes. Lock. :) You're probably joking, but I'll answer anyway.

For the USMNT Christian Pulisic has 16 goals and 9 assists in 38 caps.

He's 22.

With another goal, he'll draw level with DeMarcus Beasley (126 caps) and Earnie Stewart (101 caps)

He has the highest goals/game rate of any player that's scored 10 or more goals for the USMNT.
    Higher than Dempsey, Donovan, McBride, etc.

So yes, even if he's a sub wingback for Chelsea...................we call him up and play him on the left wing for the USMNT. Alphonso Davies is a left back at Bayern but a left winger for Canada.

25. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Pretty solid stuff here but why are you calling up Paul Arriola? Even outside of last night’s performance — he doesn’t do anything particularly well other than hustle? I would much rather see Konrad called in, especially if he has a couple early appearances in Ligue 1.

Zinkoff, laxcoach and Eleven Bravo repped this.