Alert: It just got real! Former Atlanta United head coach Gabriel Heinze’s camp calls local media reports '

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by EL MONO MARIO, Jul 21, 2021.

1. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, it's too late now to debate who's right and wrong. All I can say is that the accusations might keep him from being hired elsewhere. He has to say something.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm assuming it's one of those "the truth is in between" scenarios. I've no idea if the MLS training rules are so tight as to run against what most of the world considers normal, so it be that his actions in some way weren't evil but just not allowed here. If that were the case he'd definitely want to clear his name and remain viable for a next gig.

Even so, he should also apologize to show a sense of empathy and of lesson learned. A coach shouldn't create a setting where so many people are against him this way.

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    So who am I to believe, the Argentine press or my own lying eyes? Here are just a couple of facts...

The MLS Players Union did file a grievance with the league on behalf of the players.

Players were getting hurt in training

He did have Josef Martinez training seperate from the rest of the team

He was an asshole in press conferences and was pissy toward opposing managers after getting out coached.

For some reason the FO turned a blind eye to his antics.​

I say good riddence and I hope the door hit ya were the good lord split ya on the way out.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    BTW, not one player has come to Gabriel Heinze's defense.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  6. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with everything else said, but Brooks Lennon did say this:

"“A little bit surprised,” Lennon said. “I have nothing but respect for Gabriel and his staff. I thought he came in and showed passion and leadership and great preparation in the way that he went about things. He gave me a lot of responsibilities in this team and he believed in me as a player. I have nothing but respect for Gabi. I wish him and his entire staff nothing but success moving forward.”"

https://theathletic.com/2718758/2021/07/20/gabriel-heinze-atlanta-united-fired/

VFish repped this.
  7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Okay, one player said something close to nice about the coach. Interestingly Brooks Lennon wasn't in the Gabriel's doghouse and actually saw a good bit of playing time.

8. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Brooks Lennon was maybe the only player who looked quite good this season under Heinze so it's not surprising

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's not as if anyone but Josef is throwing him under the bus, either. Simply, team sports is a business steeped in personality management, and it will almost never be 100% perfect or 100% bad. In this case it just seems it was mostly bad.

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Forgive me, but wasn't the rumor that Josef had informed the FO that this would be his last year in Altanta? A day later he says he is willing to die for this city. IMHO he is to much of a professional to bad mouth the coach now that the cancer has been cut out. Simple as that, but I could be wrong. I often am.