It is time to renegotiate with Cooper

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Cyclones Rock, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock New Member

Jan 26, 2007
    We all know Cooper has been. let's say disappointed, that FCD has been previously unwilling to renegotiate his contract. Last year his performance was hampered by the broken leg, but now Cooper has shown he is fully recovered and deserving of being paid like other top strikers in the league. Let's start the process now and get him the money he deserves and lock him up a few more years.
    I believe we have some room under the salary cap to give him a nice raise now too. Let's get this done FCD!

2. HoopsfamMM

HoopsfamMM Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Round Rock TX
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woah, slow down there.....four games in? If he can does this though the first half then let's start the negotions......I believe in him, but I would like to see it continue before I give him a nice shiny new contract.

3. Argentina78and86

Argentina78and86 New Member

May 26, 2006

While I agree that Coop definitely deserves a boost in pay, what kind of message does that send to Pablo Ricchetti, and assumingly some of the other FCD players that they've promised contract renegotiations to?

Pablo's been playing extremely well so far this season, just like Cooper. In fact Ricchetti has been my MOTH for a couple of games.

Would Cooper even be interested in signing another contract or extension with the MLS and FCD? I thought he's made it known to everyone that he would eventually like to return to the EPL.

Whatever happens, I hope Cooper makes them pay, and maybe it will inspire FCD to do right by some of their other players. Revenge is sweet Coop.

4. JuanIg

JuanIg New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Dallas
    Assuming this form keeps up, I bet Cooper does not resign with FC Dallas and returns to Europe.

That's the price you pay when you lie to players and then call them liars or exaggerators or locker room cancers when the broken promises become public. At that point, the only revenge Cooper or Ricchetti has is to play their hearts out and then tell FCD to go scr*w themselves when it comes time to renegotiate. (A plan E66 has eluded to several times if I am reading between the lines correctly.)

5. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're correct Juan. Unless Kenny is the most forgiving guy in the world he's gone. Dallas would need to approach Coop with a contract for no less than $250k to begin to heal wounds. Alvarez makes $175k and Coop makes $83? I think AA is worth it but how FCD justifies Paying Coop less than half what they pay AA is beyond me. Only two other players in the top 10 goal scorers make less than Cooper (Jewsbury and Barrett) and I doubt they go unrewarded. Coop's not a 17 year old on a developmental contract and he's not some 32 year old that found his form for the first time in his career.

I have to stop typing now. The FCD FRONT OFFICE is about to ruin the positivity the players have built in me.

6. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCD does not negotiate with anyone under 30 years old.

7. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock New Member

Jan 26, 2007
    That is a bad approach.

Give him a new contract and raise now with nice incentives and he'll have plenty of reason to perform.
    Wait and see how he does and bridges will be burned (if they have not been already as some others imply in this thread).

8. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I didn't like my Tommy Chong sig so much then the above would follow all my posts.

9. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch

Wasn't he told that if he did the business his first year his contract would be re-negotiated? Apparently the club back tracked on that "promise" and told him he had to do it again. Were I Coopers agent I would tell him to stay focused, keep scoring, don't rock the boat and (when the time is right) tell Dallas to stick it where the sun doesn't shine. Play out his option, become a free agent and beat a path to the bank is the best option for Cooper.

10. HoopsfamMM

HoopsfamMM Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Round Rock TX
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with you here. Do they risk alienating him by not opening the negotations now? According to a lot of people here we've already done that. Seriously, what's the worst that can happen right now? He leaves at the end of the year and that gives us another $85k under the cap......

We've played 4 games people! How many goals did he score last year? All of a sudden he has 4 goals and Bam! we should drop $200-$250k on him?! Come on guy's, everyone was screaming for the club to bring in someone to replace Ruiz, now everyone is jumping on the KC bandwagon. Geez, at least be consistent......:cool:

11. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock New Member

Jan 26, 2007

Ah, he was out with a broken leg for most of last year. I don't think ANYONE would want to give up Cooper for $85k of cap room. That is like saying you would trade Cooper for an allocation of $85K.
    I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you have paid attention to FCD for the past few seasons. In his first season with FCD he scored 11 goals. Last season he only scored 4 goals, but his seson was a mere 14 games due to a broken leg, however he scored those 4 goals in the first 8 games. The last season games he played were AFTER recovering from the broken leg and he was not fully fit.
    This season Cooper is fit and showing that he is ONE of the Best STrikers in MLS. It isn't a "bandwagon". FCD fans have been high on Coop since 2006 and coming into this season the question was if he would regain his form from prior to the broken leg. Obviously he has.

FCD start talking $$$ to Cooper now.

12. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock New Member

Jan 26, 2007
    I think FCD has another option on Cooper so he would have to play for $85k for yet another season if he chooses this route.

13. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... hey Carlos, I didn't realize you posted here. How's the knee? Did Ruud promise you your spot back when you're 100%?

PS. Here's your new avatar
    [​IMG]

14. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even so they would most likely sell him before the next season starts (Jan transfer window) so they can get something instead of letting him go on a free transfer I would think.
    Really wish he would have a great season and then get DPd or something. Could be a real long term asset from several perspectives.

15. HoopsfamMM

HoopsfamMM Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Round Rock TX
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice pic, but he has way more hair than I do. Also if you research my past posts you will see that I was happy to be rid of Ruiz, not sure why you think I would be him. :)

I will grant that I am a relative new fan to FCD and may not have as much of a memory of KCJ's play prior to last year, but in the salary cap tight league we are in we can probably get a player of his ability on the open market next year if he chooses to leave. Now, some of you will say that I just made your arguement for you because there is no one out there to be had. Flame away.........:D

My original point is to just wait a little bit longer before sitting down to renegoitiate, not to not do it at all.......I do think he should be making more than $85k, especially if he continues to play this way.

16. Burn Fan

Burn Fan New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    DFW
    I got an idea....How about he just honors his contract.. The one he signed. I assume not at gunpoint..Man, 4 games in and the great Mr Cooper should get a new deal????If he doesn't like what he is getting paid...Well. Wait till it's over and get a better one. Or, I guess he could go back to the EPL..I hear Fulham is looking for some out of this world American striker to come and save their franchise..Pull back on electing him Sr Gol just yet, huh??

17. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    either 2-3 folks on this board have decided to screw with everyone by doubting Cooper at this point or we have sock puppets. There must be several posters saving this quote for the end of the season. crow is already cooking. do you like it rare, medium or well done.

you do understand that the only way Coop doesn't compete for golden boot is if he is injured? i don't know why you want/assume he'll be injured. what part of his game has ever led you to believe he's not a goal scorer? do you only read end of season stats?

oh yeah... one other thing... I'd love to have any of the Americans (except EJ) that play for Fulham. I didn't realize that they sucked.

18. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock New Member

Jan 26, 2007

Wow, last I looked Cooper was doing a pretty damned good job of honoring the contract the he and FCD signed. It isn't "4 games in" it IS 11 goals in his first season, 4 goals in 8 games before breaking a leg his second season and 4 goals in 4 games this season. I would say that is honoring his contract and then some, unless you know that his contract requires something like 2 goals per game average..

Sure we can ride out his contract and see how interested he is in signing up again with FCD while European teams are offering multiple times the $$$, but that would be STUPID. Let's see if we can lock him up a few more seasons NOW.

19. HoopsfamMM

HoopsfamMM Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Round Rock TX
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick question, if anyone really knows, how much of a desire does he have to go to back to the other side of the pond? Would he rather go there, notice I say go than play (see E Johnson), than resign at decent money here?

This could turn into a Goodson story all over again....

20. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Everything I've heard from friends of his says he doesn't want to leave Dallas for a long time....pay that man his money and he's not going anywhere.

21. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coop didn't train with ManU in Dallas' offseason for no reason. If FC Dallas doesn't make him feel welcome soon then they won't be able to afford to make him feel welcome later.

22. Cboat1975

Cboat1975 New Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Dallas,TX
    I say lets get him while the getting is good, dont want him to leave like so many good players in the past have done, to only kick us in the butt latter on.
    KC is a big man, but moves well and I'm sure scares the hell out of the goal keepers when he is close to goal.

23. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if our ownership/FO value (value = $$$ )young American talent at the same level they do international talent? While there is no clear evidence one way or the other to those of us on the outside looking in (and speculating), :rolleyes: the trend over the past 5+ years (has it really been that long????) since our beloved Uncle Lamar and company bought us has not shown much monetary support for talented young Americans.

We do draft and sign very good young US talent, and the positive increase in Arturo's salary gives me some hope. But FCD seems reluctant to even glance at the checkbook unless it is a foreign star.

Your thoughts?

24. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    You guys are smoking something special if you think FCD is going to let Cooper go for anything less than demanding DP money.

25. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    They don't.