It is 11:00 Eastern Time and we have news . . .

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Chris M., Nov 4, 2009.

1. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Just drove by Grant Park about an hour ago on my way home. It is almost an identical night. About 50 degrees.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuPxFhfIzgs&feature=related"]YouTube- MSNBC Calls Election for Barack Obama[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAlydOGqsC0&feature=related"]YouTube- Fox News on Obama's Historic Win[/ame]

2. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got the MSNBC broadcast on my DVR. So amazing.

3. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    If only John McCain would have been elected to put an end to all wars forever.

4. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Holy cow I can't believe it's been a year. It feels like a few months.

5. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair point, let me rephrase:

And no, the fact that George W. Bush did the above or that John McCain would not be any better is not an excuse.

6. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IF only.... :p That said, that was ONE GREAT night....but based on what's been done so far... he CAN do better, and he better not think Democrats will have a much better turnout next year than yesterday, or that Independents like myself will vote for his party, UNLESS he manages to do better when it comes to health care and other issues.... Jobs are taking a while to come back from the supposedly recovering economy (which GDP growth and stock market indicators seem to point to) but people's patience can only go so far..... My best wishes though... the next 3 years are hopefully much better than this past 10+ months...for the good of our people here in the US.....

7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I don't disagree with you but the intent of the thread was to look back at an amazing night in the history of this country. That is why I posted both the leg shivering MSNBC along with Fox.

8. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I hear what you are saying. Still, I look back to mid February when the stock market was in the mid-6,000, GM looked to be headed into liquidation bankruptcy and our economy looked to be on the brink of failure, and I feel pretty good with where we are at one year on (9 months from inauguration).

I think we are heading for the best health care bill we can hope for and it might happen before the end of the year. It will be a HUGE improvement even if we stop at where we are at now with the bills.

Jobs will be Obama's biggest problem in 2010 and potentially in 2012. Everyone and their mothers predicted that this would be a jobless recovery. That is not his fault but it is his problem.

9. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lets keep this thread focused on the historical significance of the election of Barack Obama a year ago. We have other threads in which we can post if we wish to criticize his policies. Thanks.